Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four guys, three Victorys, one Yamaha Stratoliner, six days and 1450 miles. The original plan was to ride Lolo Pass, labeled as one of the ten best motorcycle roads in the US, but you know what they say about best laid plans, don't you?
I won't bore you with a blow-by-blow, I'll just give you some highlights and lowlights.
First the lowlights: Construction! And most of it on one of the most scenic roads; White Pass, east of I-5 on Hwy.12. Lots of one lane sections, scored up pavement, waits, and slow pilot cars due to long and heavy spring rains that washed out road and caused huge slides. But the views up there are what makes the NW so beautiful. Heat - every day got into the 90s and my comfort zone's high is 75. Shoulda kept the shorty windshield on.
Highlights: Lots and lots of twisty and scenic roads, especially in Hells Canyon on the Oregon / Idaho border. Hells Canyon is the deepest in the US and the road hugs its convoluted walls with the Snake River flowing alongside.
We passed on Lolo Pass because of fires up there that could have the road closed any time. And people were saying that the smoke was pretty bad at times. There are so many fires in the NW that every day we saw smoke, sometimes riding through it. But hey, it beats having to deal with wind, rain and floods.
Sorry, not a lot of photos of the beautiful scenery as Fearless Leader is one of those high miler Iron Butt types and only stops for gas. Nice guy, but I won't be signing up for multi-day rides with him again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Sounds like a good time. I have a riding buddy like that also he seems determined to get the ride over with as quickly as possible.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Reminds me of the time @PaiN took me to the Kancamagus Highway in NH. Slow RVs and 1/4-mile stretches of dirt and gravel every 2 miles. What a PaiN! :D

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a good time. I have a riding buddy like that also he seems determined to get the ride over with as quickly as possible.
Which is just the opposite of the way I like to ride - I'm more a "social" rider who enjoys meeting folks and learning their stories along the way. No reservations made days ahead, maybe a few hours and some days may be less than 150 miles. I consider it motorcycling even when the bike is on the side stand. Its gotta be low pressure to be fun.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
@RICZ
Did you happen to run into Sasquatch?...I didn't see any mention of this in the highlights... :|

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Sasquatch,but there were a bunch of Canadian Victory & H-D riders at a motel we were at one night and partied hardy.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
No Sasquatch,but there were a bunch of Canadian Victory & H-D riders at a motel we were at one night and partied hardy.
Ah...close enough.....eh hehehe

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Sounds like a great time! That is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
You sound like me Ric. For years and years I did too many daily miles and often regretted it. Now I like to take my time.. I have a riding buddy who when he travels NEVER gets on the highway. Sets his destination in the GPS to avoid highways and off he goes. Have you ever made it up to the Oyster Run north of Seattle? It is coming up in a few weeks.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm also not a fan of huge rallies or runs. Besides, the Oyster Run is too far to go to from Portland just to show up for a run. My favoritist kinda riding is with one other rider. I have a friend who lives on Orcas Island, who likes my kind of riding and we try to meet up once or twice a year and explore (as opposed to riding through) areas in the NW. Last June, we did central Oregon. What great riding country that is. Now we are planning a run around the Olympic Peninsula, meeting up in Olympia and going counter-clockwise down to Aberdeen and inland back to Oly. No time limits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@RICZ
Did you happen to run into Sasquatch?...I didn't see any mention of this in the highlights... :|
The go to person for an Idaho Sasquatch would be Dr. Jeff Meldrum, professor of Anthropology at Idaho State University. I think he has in the neighborhood of 250 casted tracks from all over the country, including some that show dermal ridges that are different in a Sasqautch foot compared to a human. Maybe next trip.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm also not a fan of huge rallies or runs. Besides, the Oyster Run is too far to go to from Portland just to show up for a run. My favoritist kinda riding is with one other rider. I have a friend who lives on Orcas Island, who likes my kind of riding and we try to meet up once or twice a year and explore (as opposed to riding through) areas in the NW. Last June, we did central Oregon. What great riding country that is. Now we are planning a run around the Olympic Peninsula, meeting up in Olympia and going counter-clockwise down to Aberdeen and inland back to Oly. No time limits.
Huge rallies - Not so much for me either. I use Oyster run as example for friends and GF as a 1 day example of Sturgis. Easy to
make a weekend of it in the local area.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another fantastic riding area is NW Oregon's Wallowa Mountains country. Spend a day off the bike in Joseph and check out the many bronze foundries there. How that remote little burg ever became a world class art center beats me.
Then there are many loop rides to be had around Baker City, Oregon. Western Oregon has some wonderful coastal and river roads. Oh, and not to forget McKenzie Pass, my favoritist Oregon road. So many roads, so little time, eh?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I will never forget the alien volcanic McKenzie pass with multiple deer bolting out in between the riders heading down into Eugene area for the night. Thank you ABS!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
The go to person for an Idaho Sasquatch would be Dr. Jeff Meldrum, professor of Anthropology at Idaho State University. I think he has in the neighborhood of 250 casted tracks from all over the country, including some that show dermal ridges that are different in a Sasqautch foot compared to a human. Maybe next trip.
I've seen and read a lot of Dr. Meldrum.....I have intuition that finding the truth of Sasquatch would uncover a major portion of the deception we all have been indoctrinated into....So I spend much time looking that this research.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Sasquatch: The worlds greatest hide and go seek player on the planet.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will never forget the alien volcanic McKenzie pass with multiple deer bolting out in between the riders heading down into Eugene area for the night. Thank you ABS!
Man, you are so lucky. I never encountered, much less saw a deer on McKenzie Pass. I prefer doing it going uphill, west to east. Notice that each turn is different? No rhythm to that piece of twisties.
From the pass, I go to Sisters, then to Detroit for the night at a motel that charges veterans only $28 no tax in the off season between Labor and Memorial Days. Sweet!

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Cool pictures and story guys, I love reading about road trips....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Looks like an awesome ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts