Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today down in Miami with a few friends and myself we took the Ride Like a Pro class, what a great class to take and the skills you learn are priceless. Anyway while at the class my XCT was getting a bit warm ( hot ) with all the riding the brake and slipping the clutch ( the friction zone ) , after a while we took a break and when I went to start up the bike it would fire up and then quit as it had no gas, so at that time I would hit the starter again and give it some gas and eventuly it would start , spiting and sputtering as if it was flooded. This happened threw out the day.

Once I took the bike out of the parking lot and went for a few mile cool down ride it would start fine. but once it heated up again it would do the same thing. The bike has a stage one kit , could the bike had been just so hot that when I turned it off it would somehow leak or drain some gas into the cylinders and flood it, I know it dont make since with it being fuel injected but thats how it acted , flooded. Once we left for the day and had a 1 1/2 hour trip home all was fine, stopping for a bite to eat and some fuel.

Any tips or thoughs , by the way the bike is still new with just 2500 miles on it, other than that the bike preformed great.:D

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Today down in Miami with a few friends and myself we took the Ride Like a Pro class, what a great class to take and the skills you learn are priceless. Anyway while at the class my XCT was getting a bit warm ( hot ) with all the riding the brake and slipping the clutch ( the friction zone ) , after a while we took a break and when I went to start up the bike it would fire up and then quit as it had no gas, so at that time I would hit the starter again and give it some gas and eventuly it would start , spiting and sputtering as if it was flooded. This happened threw out the day.

Once I took the bike out of the parking lot and went for a few mile cool down ride it would start fine. but once it heated up again it would do the same thing. The bike has a stage one kit , could the bike had been just so hot that when I turned it off it would somehow leak or drain some gas into the cylinders and flood it, I know it dont make since with it being fuel injected but thats how it acted , flooded. Once we left for the day and had a 1 1/2 hour trip home all was fine, stopping for a bite to eat and some fuel.

Any tips or thoughs , by the way the bike is still new with just 2500 miles on it, other than that the bike preformed great.:D
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-vapor-lock.htm

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Greay answer thumb up
I don't know that it's right, but its the first thing that came to mind. Supposedly, electronically fuel injected vehicles don't have as much problem with this as old carb'd vehicles, but the symptoms sure sound like it to me.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Did you ever find out what caused it? I had the exact same thing happen yesterday at on a cone course.

·
13,002 Posts
wonder how much gas you had in the tank.

Makes me think it was more a temperature sensor then any thing.
If it happens again open your gas cap to get more air into tank.
Maybe Kevinx will come a long and help us

·
Registered
182 Posts
Almost a full tank and I did open the gas cap.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best I can tell it was a Vapor lock, when the engine that gets hot and the bike sits the heat from the engine turns the fuel in the line to a vapor. Then it takes it a little while to either cool down or for the fuel to pump out the vapors and then gas.

Had this happen to me once again last summer on a trip , was running 80 on the interstate pulling our trailer outside temps where around 95 , sat on the off ramp light for a long time. Rode about a block to the hotel, pull up to the front door to check in and when we came back out to move the bike it did the same thing. I just left it there till after dinner and it cranked up just fine.

I really don't worry about it anymore , I kinda expect it if its super hot out . So far so good with all the ridding we do here in south Florida.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Best I can tell it was a Vapor lock, when the engine that gets hot and the bike sits the heat from the engine turns the fuel in the line to a vapor. Then it takes it a little while to either cool down or for the fuel to pump out the vapors and then gas.

Had this happen to me once again last summer on a trip , was running 80 on the interstate pulling our trailer outside temps where around 95 , sat on the off ramp light for a long time. Rode about a block to the hotel, pull up to the front door to check in and when we came back out to move the bike it did the same thing. I just left it there till after dinner and it cranked up just fine.

I really don't worry about it anymore , I kinda expect it if its super hot out . So far so good with all the ridding we do here in south Florida.
Dave,

Is you engine stock or has it been modified?

I am just wondering if this problem can be expected with a stock engine too.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the time my bike was stock with a stage one, later I added a timing wheel and Lloyds air filter.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You were boiling the fuel. Not that uncommon. Those courses are hard on Aircooled motorcycles. As an added bonus; you prolly destroyed your clutch at the same time
Pretty sure that's what happened to mine, although it didn't start slipping till about 28,000 miles. Once apart Scott at Conquest Customs said he thought it was the ride like a pro course that led up to my clutch failure, several disc towards the end of the pack showed signs of excessive heat and glazed over . He said he believes that for every hour on the course equals 10,000 miles of wear. Not sure if that's true or not but it's the only thing I can contribute to my clutch going bad.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A timing wheel and Lloyds filter also leaned out your bike a little more. It may be time for a PCV...... help you run a little cooler in the Florida heat/humidity.

28000 on a stock clutch and one training course did it in? Doesn't say a whole lot about these Vic clutches. Using Victory oil?........wac

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
at the time I just had to stage 1 kit with the o2 sensor is unplugged later on around 30,000 miles I added the time it will and air filter, victory oil all the time

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
The guy who does RLAP in GA, lets you retake it as often as you like for a year. The 6th time I took it I was brutal on the clutch. I had watched a bunch of police rodeos and they really put the coals to theirs. Of course, taxpayers replace those clutches. I fried mine but I do not blame the bike at all. Totally my doing.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Totally understand the abusive nature of these training courses. It's not like we ride this way all the time. Stop and go traffic in the summer heat is about the most abuse any bike normally see's even Police duty MC's. Be interesting to see how Victory holds up in the future as a Police duty cycle. Hopefully anything designed for longevity on these special duty bikes trickles down the assembly line to citizen use.

I still think it's time to refine these tranny's and clutches again. Whoever heard of a modern day bagger/tourer that couldn't use the benefit of a full synthetic oil because it would cause clutch slippage.......:crzy: or at least that's the claim ........wac

1 - 17 of 17 Posts