Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, bought Ride Like a Pro V, reviewed the exercises, purchased chalk, short cones, scouted appropriate empty parking lots and went out today to practice the slow cone weave.

Six cones are 12' apart. Look up, weave through the cones, in the friction zone, right foot ready on the brake. Sounds easy.

I've ridden for years. I figure it can't be too hard, right? Then I saw how compressed 12' spacing is. I try it and on the first try, cones are flying! After the run, I go setup the cones. Knock them down on the next try. Over and over. It's like bowling. I can see why others use cut tennis balls to start.

Anyhow, probably ran through twenty runs and didn't take every cone out (and that's a win!).

Ride like a pro? Not so much! I'm sure I'll get better with practice but I didn't have an appreciation for how good the riders are on RLAP until I tried it. Good fun.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Something my instructors said at the MSF class is that people that have been riding for years that were self taught have the hardest time with the structured courses.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Try longer distance between the cones. You won't get penalized for starting with even 24' between them. Once you master the 24', drop it to 20', and so on, until you're down to 12'.

You're doing more than the average rider does, and that is, you're practicing. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the suggestions!

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions!
I use tin can lids and plastic lids instead of cones. You know when you ran over one, but without the drama. Best part, they are free!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Personally I would not start with cones. I suggest starting will straight line to learn your friction zone. Then go to circles without anything to tighten up your circle. Then go to the cones.
I have found with folks that has been riding a while are set in their own bad habits. This will help break those habits.
When I am instructing folks I tell them forget anything you think you know. In a lot of cases I have to prove it can be done.
I will say that my XC does great in slow speed maneuvers.
Keep practicing.
It will come to pass that you will all of a sudden catch on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I would not start with cones. I suggest starting will straight line to learn your friction zone. Then go to circles without anything to tighten up your circle. Then go to the cones.
I have found with folks that has been riding a while are set in their own bad habits. This will help break those habits.
When I am instructing folks I tell them forget anything you think you know. In a lot of cases I have to prove it can be done.
I will say that my XC does great in slow speed maneuvers.
Keep practicing.
It will come to pass that you will all of a sudden catch on.
Great advice! I agree and I actually started with and continuously practice riding in the friction zone. Even before I bought RLAP V, I would practice circles at least once a month. Usually, I'll do three circles left then three circles right for ten sets (ten times each way). Three left, three right keeps me from getting dizzy and straining my neck looking hard over my shoulders. We're getting a lot of rain in California so I haven't been able to practice the cones. Soon though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great advice! I agree and I actually started with and continuously practice riding in the friction zone. Even before I bought RLAP V, I would practice circles at least once a month. Usually, I'll do three circles left then three circles right for ten sets (ten times each way). Three left, three right keeps me from getting dizzy and straining my neck looking hard over my shoulders. We're getting a lot of rain in California so I haven't been able to practice the cones. Soon though!
Awesome ... was thinking of getting same video and practicing myself .. thanks for post.. now maybe i wont feel sooo bad when i try this out ..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ride Like A Pro

I have been practicing with the RLAP course for a couple of years on and off. You will get much better with practice as your confidence in your abilities grows.

Instead of being a 1% er you can be a 2% er LOL:ltr:

For those of you who do not know what I mean, buy the DVD.

·
Registered
84 Posts
RLP I bought that before it was a DVD, VHS. Its a great toll and really helped me out with the riding tools he shows.
I know I don't practiced it enough but it is worth the price. It will make you a better rider.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I didn't see this mentioned, but with all riding you look ahead of where you are going. when I first started, I was concentrating on the cone i was about to maneuver and failing. As soon as I focused on the end of the line, I made it through no problem; it blew my mind.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got the RLAP DVD a couple weeks ago and have been amazed at how much it has helped. The one thing I haven't mastered is the technique for righting the bike after a tip over. I tipped the bike over intentionally and tried practicing the technique. I still can't move the beast (I'm 6'3" and in reasonable good shape for a 61 year old fart). Makes me think the lovely Marianne Hamilton is either doing some serious leg excercises or that the HD is a lot lighter than my XC

·
Registered
257 Posts
Height

I got the RLAP DVD a couple weeks ago and have been amazed at how much it has helped. The one thing I haven't mastered is the technique for righting the bike after a tip over. I tipped the bike over intentionally and tried practicing the technique. I still can't move the beast (I'm 6'3" and in reasonable good shape for a 61 year old fart). Makes me think the lovely Marianne Hamilton is either doing some serious leg excercises or that the HD is a lot lighter than my XC
I'll bet your height has a lot to do with that. Marianne is probably 5' nothing and has a very low center of gravity compared to your 6'3" frame. Get low on the bike and you will gt it. thumb up

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Hey! I also have the RLAP DVD and really studied their technique for righting the bike and it came in very handy. I had to do that all by myself after an 18 year old spoiled girl (illegally on the cell phone) pulled out from a side street and knocked me over. BTW, I'm 74 and have cancer. Gotta get off that porch and practice.wac

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey! I also have the RLAP DVD and really studied their technique for righting the bike and it came in very handy. I had to do that all by myself after an 18 year old spoiled girl (illegally on the cell phone) pulled out from a side street and knocked me over. BTW, I'm 74 and have cancer. Gotta get off that porch and practice.wac
You da man RICZ!!! I'll practice some more. I'm sure that after I do it once, I'll get the knack. Here's hoping I never have to use it outside a controlled environment (or on the porch).:ltr:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...18 year old spoiled girl (illegally on the cell phone) ....

GRRRRRRR. Yesterday, I was driving next to some ditz who was in the fast lane, speeding up, slowing down and weaving while she was texting. I honked at her as she meandered into my lane and she flipped me off.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
GRRRRRRR. Yesterday, I was driving next to some ditz who was in the fast lane, speeding up, slowing down and weaving while she was texting. I honked at her as she meandered into my lane and she flipped me off.
The attitude of people today goes like this: When you find them in the kitchen stealing cookies, they will yell at you, what the hell are you doing in the kitchen? Everyone now feels justified to do whatever they want and it's getting worse with each generation that gets more and more coddled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts