Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone use Ride-On, or any similar gel-like tire sealants? It sounds good in theory, but I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who deals more with wheels and safety at a professional level. Can any shop guys comment on having to work on wheels with Ride-On and if it's a problem or not?

My thought is that messing with the wheels is a big deal, and you'd probably be better off using a plug in most cases. On the other hand, nothing is worse than a blow-out on the road. That could crash the bike. Anything that helps prevent a blowout is a worthwhile safety feature and would be better than having to deal with a fast flat at high speed.

http://www.ride-on.com/

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I just took delivery of three 8 oz bottles. I plan to try it in my front wheel for it's dynamic balancing properties. I have dyna beads (actually, counteract, but same principle), and I really don't care for them. I think they get hung up on the inside of the tire and don't always place themselves accurately.. then, when you get up to hwy speed, they stay where they were due to the centrifugal force. I'm betting the gelatinous nature of the ride-on will allow it to remain better balanced.

Does anyone use Ride-On, or any similar gel-like tire sealants? It sounds good in theory, but I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who deals more with wheels and safety at a professional level. Can any shop guys comment on having to work on wheels with Ride-On and if it's a problem or not?

My thought is that messing with the wheels is a big deal, and you'd probably be better off using a plug in most cases. On the other hand, nothing is worse than a blow-out on the road. That could crash the bike. Anything that helps prevent a blowout is a worthwhile safety feature and would be better than having to deal with a fast flat at high speed.

http://www.ride-on.com/

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Awesome product

I have run Ride-On for several thousand miles and it works. It balanced the tires and plugs all holes without any real loss of pressure. I will admit that I did plug a hole even with ride on in the tire because of the size of the hole and all the ride on seemed to do was turn it into a really slow leak.

I know this is going to piss off the safety nazis here but I continue to ride my rear tire with multiple punctures and a plug in it. All the punctures have been sealed by Ride On and the plug does its job perfectly. I check my tires every time I ride and have yet to lose any pressure at all.
Before someone jumps in with how horrible and unsafe that is take into account that I have ridden multiple bikes with plugs in them both Sportbikes and my victory thousands of trouble free "sporty" miles.

I have yet to get my tires that are running Ride On changed but from looking at the youtube video when they peel the tire off the rim all the gel is in the tire, unlike Slime that gets everywhere.

Ride On is a great investment if you have tires that seem to have magnets in them and do not like replacing them with thousands of miles left in them. Since I found it I will never get tires without putting Ride On in them.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
:I agree:

The fact that you don't have to worry about the wheel weights, which some of us have lost while riding, already makes the Ride-On worth the money. Plugging holes as you acquire them is the icing on the cake.

It's one of those products you buy once, and you're hooked. You won't be able to buy another set of tires without putting Ride-On in them. I haven't heard of anyone who's tired it and did not like it - yet. thumb up

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Went to an independent shop run by guys that are both experienced and trustworthy. Wanted to buy Dyna Beads and install them due to losing weights. They turned on a laptop and showed me the Ride-On video and I was sold. They sell Dyna Beads as well, but like Ride-On better for many reasons, including its easier to deal with for tire changes as it just sticks to the tread area inside the tire. I get a smooth ride at any speed now, which I didn't get with metal weights. No punctures yet, so can't comment on that. I recommend Ride-On - go for it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So my dad has a bmw that he is having tires put on but the guy doing it does not have the adapter for the single sided swingarm. So I am seeing no complaints with this ride-on stuff but he doesn't want to even entertain the idea. My question and I belive his is, what happens when you need new tires in the future? Slime is some nasty stuff and if you've ever seen it after the fact you'd know. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest concern. The only place in the area that can balance the wheel I'm VERY unhappy with and am suggesting any other option. Help me help him!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I know this is going to piss off the safety nazis here but I continue to ride my rear tire with multiple punctures and a plug in it.
My question is why do these tires get so many punctures? I ride a lot in a lot of places and I may get a flat once every several years. I've pulled two bolts out of the rear E3 so far in just over 6k miles, one of which required me to plug.

It too has held fine for a couple thousand miles now. I am planning a trip down to the Georgia mountains and think I'll take the FJR in part because I don't want to test the plug with luggage and a wife on some deserted Georgia back road.

Kinda ticks me off, because I did just get my little GPS/XM all set up on the Vic...

IMG_0784.jpg

·
Registered
774 Posts
Went to an independent shop run by guys that are both experienced and trustworthy. Wanted to buy Dyna Beads and install them due to losing weights. They turned on a laptop and showed me the Ride-On video and I was sold. They sell Dyna Beads as well, but like Ride-On better for many reasons, including its easier to deal with for tire changes as it just sticks to the tread area inside the tire. I get a smooth ride at any speed now, which I didn't get with metal weights. No punctures yet, so can't comment on that. I recommend Ride-On - go for it.
No punctures yet, so can't comment on that.

Thats the trouble with it. You can ride lots of miles and not know you have a puncture. This stuff is not a permenent repair. Most blow outs are from an old puncture. It washes off with water meaning its water based latex, Maybe Ill try some house paint.
As for balance I wonder why you can't just use water??
Some folks will buy anything. Ask a trucker about it. LOL:ltr:

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Ask a trucker about it. LOL:ltr:
Unfortunately, unlike truckers, I only have two tires. A puncture in either one can be more than just a nuisance so I'm happy to pay a little extra for peace of mind. And by the way, every highway I have ever ridden has had truck tire shards scattered all over the damn road! Don't think I would trust a truckers word on tires! (I say that with respect to my trucker brother-in-law Buck who currently rides a Harley in Heaven. Miss you brother.) thumb up

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
So my dad has a bmw that he is having tires put on but the guy doing it does not have the adapter for the single sided swingarm. So I am seeing no complaints with this ride-on stuff but he doesn't want to even entertain the idea. My question and I belive his is, what happens when you need new tires in the future? Slime is some nasty stuff and if you've ever seen it after the fact you'd know. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest concern. The only place in the area that can balance the wheel I'm VERY unhappy with and am suggesting any other option. Help me help him!

Worm,

Ride-On is not like Slime. Slime makes a complete nasty mess and no one likes to change tires that have it in them. Ride-On has a thicker consistency with small fibers in it and sticks to the tire not the rim. When changing the tire the Ride-On will NOT be all over the rim and dripping all over the place. The Ride-On will stay with the tire not dripping all over.

I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I now have 300 miles with the ride-on installed both front and rear.... and while it does seem to balance the tires/wheels, I'm not sure that I can detect whether it is any better or worse than I had with wheel weights.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I now have 300 miles with the ride-on installed both front and rear.... and while it does seem to balance the tires/wheels, I'm not sure that I can detect whether it is any better or worse than I had with wheel weights.
But surely you can agree that unlike wheel weights, you cannot lose the Ride-On while riding. :p

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
No punctures yet, so can't comment on that.

Thats the trouble with it. You can ride lots of miles and not know you have a puncture. This stuff is not a permenent repair. Most blow outs are from an old puncture. It washes off with water meaning its water based latex, Maybe Ill try some house paint.
As for balance I wonder why you can't just use water??
Some folks will buy anything. Ask a trucker about it. LOL:ltr:
I'm assuming your put down of Ride-On is based on never having actually seeing the product or experiencing it. To answer your comment about old punctures, I still do a pre flight inspection of the tires. You are joking about house paint and water...aren't you?.
To answer concerns about tire removal; Ride-On is a sticky gel that adheres on to the tread area inside the tire and stays there. That's why there's no loping sensation upon start up.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
But surely you can agree that unlike wheel weights, you cannot lose the Ride-On while riding. :p
I must say I've NEVER lost a wheel weight (that I know of) in over 30 years of riding. But, I have picked up nails and staples, along with rocks... so yes, I do believe it does a nice job of balancing the rotating assembly. However, with wheel weights and the dealers' spin balancers, I always wonder if they are properly calibrated. Now I don't need to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I must say I've NEVER lost a wheel weight (that I know of) in over 30 years of riding. But, I have picked up nails and staples, along with rocks... so yes, I do believe it does a nice job of balancing the rotating assembly. However, with wheel weights and the dealers' spin balancers, I always wonder if they are properly calibrated. Now I don't need to worry about it.
Even if they are spot on, consider that as soon as you start wearing the tire it will become imbalanced anyway.

My big concern about the product would be the chemical compatibility with the rim. That and how pissed the tire changer gets when he gets the sticky crap all over himself...

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Even if they are spot on, consider that as soon as you start wearing the tire it will become imbalanced anyway.

My big concern about the product would be the chemical compatibility with the rim. That and how pissed the tire changer gets when he gets the sticky crap all over himself...
Refer to RICZ post above...thumb up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts