Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I had Bridgestone 704/709 radials installed and had Ride-On put in them. Both the tires the the sealer/balancer were discussed in the forum and both sounded really good.

So about 50 miles after the installs the ride was much smoother than my E3's with 13000 miles on them and slightly better than the E3's when new. Cornering was completely different as the B-Stones are more rounded and turn/lean much easier than the E3's. Steering was extremely light and holding a tight line on a sweeper was also easier the the E3's.

Traffic and fate shortened my review as traffic stopped fast several times in a construction zone. The zone was about 15 miles long and was an accident magnet and I got caught by the magnet.

I was riding behind a Road Glide at about 50 mph and noticed him hit the brakes hard to avoid a boat trailer ahead of him. I reacted too quickly, locked the rear, avoided the bike and moved close to the shoulder all within about 30 feet. The shoulder consisted of a band of loose dirt and gravel about 10 feet wide and the far edge was pushed up about 2 feet above the loose surface. While still going approx. 35 mph my front tire went off the edge and sank in which caused the rear of the bike to swing around 90 degrees and whack the back of the boat.

I'm really not sure what happened after that but witnesses said the bike finished the swing into the shoulder and deposited my wife on her butt. They say I hung on rodeo style while it rolled 2 times and stopped on the piled dirt/rock sitting almost upright.

Thankfully the wife an I are both scuffed and bruised but the majority of our injuries are from the waist down. The wife has some minor scuffs on a hip and a buttcheek with a spot about the size of a hamburger patty that looks very much like a raw hamburger patty. I have a sliced buttcheek (about 2") and bruises/scuffs on the opposite side.

We were both wearing lightweight cycle jackets and 1/2 helmets. Neither jacket has any tears or abrasions that wore through. My wifes helmet is spotless and my helmet has a 3"x3" are that is badly scraped. We were also wearing gloves and boots and neither of us have any foot/ankle damage and the only hand damage was one of my fingers dislocated.

As far as my XR goes it's up to the insurance company to decide and I'm ok with whatever decision they make. From what I could see the rear fender and both bags are destroyed, handlebars are bent, mirrors bent, grips toast, rt passenger footpeg mount broken, bag bars/crash bars scuffed, windshield twisted/scuffed, seat torn, gas tank dinged, and passenger backrest toast. I'm pretty sure that there are a large amount of scratches and scrapes that I didn't see but keeping my wife calm was much more important than inspecting the bike.

So for my experiance I have 2 requests that I would really like to see happen:

1. Please wear your gear and have passengers do the same.

2. Please help me figure out how my windshield managed to get twisted, bent back several inches on one side, and severely scuffed while the large protruding headlight bucket appeared undamaged!?!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Damn!!! that sucks.
Glad that for the most part you and your wife are ok. Sounds like it could of been much worse. You need to buy some lotto tickets.
The bike seems like a total to me based on your damage description.
I guess the windscreen prevented the headlight from ever touching the ground so it took the brunt of the damage. Glad your both o.k. and keep us posted on your progress with the insurance and potential new bike. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thankfully the two of you weren't hurt too bad. thumb up I truly hope everything works out well with the insurance company and you guys are back on two wheels real soon.

Man, I don't know how the heck your W/S got tweaked like it did, but your headlight remained untouched. If you don't mind me asking, were these the stock brake pads? I locked up my rear wheel way to easily on my XC a few times and I knew I needed better pads. With the EBC's, I can modulate the braking so much better with these. Just my two cents.

I know you must be bummed about your ride, but as another member has said, it's better to walk away from a wreck, than be carried away in a ambulance. :)

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that about you and your wife, and of course the bike. Good thing you were wearing that helmet or the 3x3 scratch could have made for one messed up melon. Your sliced butt comment has made me think about getting some leather pants. I was hit by a car once and had some road rash all over my jacket elbows and helmet, I have always worn both before and will continue to.

I wish you and your better half a speedy recovery and hope you get on two wheels again as soon as you can.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you and your wife are OK. As a fellow Utah driver, the construction zones in our state are terrible. and no one seems to obey the speeds in the construction zones. Good luck and quick repairs or replacement on the bike

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Yesterday I had Bridgestone 704/709 radials installed and had Ride-On put in them. Both the tires the the sealer/balancer were discussed in the forum and both sounded really good.

So about 50 miles after the installs the ride was much smoother than my E3's with 13000 miles on them and slightly better than the E3's when new. Cornering was completely different as the B-Stones are more rounded and turn/lean much easier than the E3's. Steering was extremely light and holding a tight line on a sweeper was also easier the the E3's.

Traffic and fate shortened my review as traffic stopped fast several times in a construction zone. The zone was about 15 miles long and was an accident magnet and I got caught by the magnet.

I was riding behind a Road Glide at about 50 mph and noticed him hit the brakes hard to avoid a boat trailer ahead of him. I reacted too quickly, locked the rear, avoided the bike and moved close to the shoulder all within about 30 feet. The shoulder consisted of a band of loose dirt and gravel about 10 feet wide and the far edge was pushed up about 2 feet above the loose surface. While still going approx. 35 mph my front tire went off the edge and sank in which caused the rear of the bike to swing around 90 degrees and whack the back of the boat.

I'm really not sure what happened after that but witnesses said the bike finished the swing into the shoulder and deposited my wife on her butt. They say I hung on rodeo style while it rolled 2 times and stopped on the piled dirt/rock sitting almost upright.

Thankfully the wife an I are both scuffed and bruised but the majority of our injuries are from the waist down. The wife has some minor scuffs on a hip and a buttcheek with a spot about the size of a hamburger patty that looks very much like a raw hamburger patty. I have a sliced buttcheek (about 2") and bruises/scuffs on the opposite side.

We were both wearing lightweight cycle jackets and 1/2 helmets. Neither jacket has any tears or abrasions that wore through. My wifes helmet is spotless and my helmet has a 3"x3" are that is badly scraped. We were also wearing gloves and boots and neither of us have any foot/ankle damage and the only hand damage was one of my fingers dislocated.

As far as my XR goes it's up to the insurance company to decide and I'm ok with whatever decision they make. From what I could see the rear fender and both bags are destroyed, handlebars are bent, mirrors bent, grips toast, rt passenger footpeg mount broken, bag bars/crash bars scuffed, windshield twisted/scuffed, seat torn, gas tank dinged, and passenger backrest toast. I'm pretty sure that there are a large amount of scratches and scrapes that I didn't see but keeping my wife calm was much more important than inspecting the bike.

So for my experiance I have 2 requests that I would really like to see happen:

1. Please wear your gear and have passengers do the same.

2. Please help me figure out how my windshield managed to get twisted, bent back several inches on one side, and severely scuffed while the large protruding headlight bucket appeared undamaged!?!
Yikes and ouch. Glad to hear you had the good sense not to be riding in your gym shorts and bandanna.

I'm sure your bike is scrap to your insurance company. The good news is that you can use your claim money to pick up a new one with ABS!

Heal well and quickly my friend. And when you get back in the wind, practice with that front brake. cheers

·
13,177 Posts
Its strange how in a blink of the eye you can go from great to bad.
Very happy your both ok. thumb up
Sounds like the bike is totaled. Its easer for Insurance company to total a bike then to fix now days.
If they total please don't buy it back it will be a big head ace

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the well wishes and such! Hopefully I'll hear something today but that'll probably just be a call for the police report (my fault but no ticket). Insurance says the adjuster will call by Monday and we'll see where it goes from there. I get the feeling I'm going to find out the hard way that my wife has saved our bacon by paying over the minimum on the loan!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
thank God you both are all right. i need you here! wife will
not let me ride w/o a helmet and a lot of stuff comes over
that w/shield. best of luck--irv

·
Registered
810 Posts
So sorry to hear this...but like has already been said, it's a very good thing you both were able to walk away! Hope everything works in your favor with your insurance company...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad to hear that you apparently had only minor injuries.

No one else has asked, so I will. Do you think that the new/different type of tire played any part in the accident? With only 50 miles on them, I would think that you had not fully adjusted to them yet. Just asking...not insinuating.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ferta,
No insult taken. Tires are the first things that crossed my mind was that the tires were new and had mold release and possible tire soap on them from mounting. After playing through my head 100's (maybe 1000's - I haven't slept for crap since) is that tires may have had a role but when the front tire locked on the gravel for a split second then slid into loose dirt I was through. As soon as the front tire sank in and flipped the rearend around there was nothing I could have done because I was sideways and still travelling at least 30 mph.

The insurance called today and said I should know in 2-3 days so we'll see what happens. They said I could go to the lot and take pictures so it's an f'd up way to finally get pics of my bike on here but I'll post them anyway!

On a side note it seems that most cruiser accidents result in head/shoulder damaged from falling sideways and from going over the bars or butt/leg damage. I'm not so sure you're better off with butt damage but I really don't want to try again to find out!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the call I've waiting for from the insurance company. So far they priced parts at $8400 and they're not going to total it but they're having it towed to my dealer of choice to have them look it over. As long as they don't find a lot more damage and/or quote a huge number for labor my XR won't be totalled.

The good parts are that I don't have to go through the crap of buying another bike and breaking it in (500 mile oil change sucks). The bad part is that it's quicker to sign papers and drive a new bike off the lot then it waiting for parts and repairs.

I got one other nice surprise when the guy talked to me. Apparently my bike is still valued higher (pre damage of course) than what I paid for it!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Interesting news. Either way your waiting continues until you're back on two wheels. All in all, you guys are walking and talking so that's the way to look at it. I really hope everything continues to work out in your favor. thumb up

I have progressive insurance for the XC and USAA for the car and truck. Very good customer service from both so far.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
and you will still have a CRIMSON cross roads, which some of
us know is the best color! best of luck to you and yours and
the bike.--irv:D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts