Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, here's my Ride Report about my 'scorching' trip from Wichita, KS to Aledo, TX with my new White & Grey Cross Country!

First, let me introduce myself. I'm Rogue Rider and until recently I could be found riding my Steel Pony (a 2006 Bonneville T100) on every road I could find.

I'm still proudly serving the Air Force (26 years), a proud father of four great kids and four grandkids, and honored to be married to my high school sweetheart for 31 years (well, 31 in August of this year).

Enough with the intro...let me tell you about the ride through the Midwest's impersonation of a desert!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The ride began a llllooonnnggg car ride up to Wichita care of Hertz one-way rental

My trip started with a cage ride of six hours via a Hertz one-way rental up to Wichita. I left the house at 0630 and JohnC graciously met me at the airport in Wichita around 1245.

After doing all the paperwork and JohnC showing all the cool upgrades to the bike (custom 55 watt driving lights, a ton of chrome parts, Memphis lowers, a 13" flip windshield, Harly brake and gear shift pads (with rear set-up too!), upgraded speakers, trunk, shortened antenna, oil temp dip stick, and a quick release rear backrest, and more!) it was around 1430 (2:30) and time to hit the road!

First stop was for gas...the temps were already reaching 106 degrees and as I debated the merits of doing a six hour plus ride in the heat my desire to ride overrode my better since of judgement...;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first two hours were hot...too damn hot...

I'd like to say that the ride started off with a lot of awesome scenery and a blissful riding experience between rider and machine...but I was riding through Kansas on the super slab and it was too damn hot for anything to be blissful!

What I can tell you is that my new Metal Monster (hey, compared to my T100 this thing is a monster!) performed flawlessly and handled the triple temps like it was a beautiful spring day. The heat coming off the engine wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be (and compared to the Harley's I've riden on hot days in Mississippi) but the heat coming off the tarmac was brutal enough to force unscheduled 'water down' stops and kill any ideas of taking alternate backroads south to Texas.

A shot of my console...and the 112 degree readout (which continued to climb to 113 degrees from south Kansas all the way to southern Oklahoma!).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oklahoma...finally...

I rode and tried to appreciate the upgraded stereo and the beautiful suspension of the Metal Monster but ended up counting down the mile markers to Oklahoma where I planned to stop for a quick shade break and another dousing of water!

The welcome center was everything it's name says it will be...but I couldn't stay too long because for all I knew Oklahoma may be even hotter than Kansas! So I took a couple of quick snaps with the iPhone and started counting mile markers for Texas!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I needed a Sonic break...

I rode into north Perry, Oklahoma, looking for a Sonic so I could get a Route 44 Diet Dr Pepper (man, I love that drink...especially with some Capt Morgans...not while I'm riding of course). I found the Sonic and parked the Metal Monster in the shade, ordered my drink, and just sat...:rolleyes:

I'd like to show you more photos of Perry, OK, but it was too hot to go around and shoot pics and I was a bit miffed because the manager at Sonic told me they didn't give refills and they also didn't have public restrooms! So I just sat some more and took another pic of the Metal Monster in the shade...;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Texas!

I couldn't put off finishing the trip any longer so mounted the Metal Monster and got back on the super slab. The temps continued to stay in the 112-114 range and by the third hour of the ride all I really could think about was getting home and taking a cold shower!:crzy:

Then the Texas border came...followed by the welcome center...which had air conditioned bathrooms! I would have taken pictures of the bathroom but that probably would have ended up with me in jail, beat to a pulp, the loss of my man-card, and/or all of the above. :ltr:

So, I took these pic outside...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Congrats on the new bike; you got a helluva deal! The hot trip was worth it, you'll have better riding days and when it cools down you'll enjoy the bike even more.

26 years?!? I had to hang up my BDU's the last time at a little over 21 (21 years, 3 months, 17 days). I let CBT's and constantly changing rules/procedures tick me off and it was time to go.

Now I'm a Civ on the same base working 1 bldg over. Working for half pay is a rumor but not having to PT or supervise makes it worth it! The best part is that I was able to stay in my comfort zone!

Brian
IYAAYAS!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jumping off the super slab...finally!

My route took me straight down I35 from Wichita, KS to Gainesville, TX. The temps remained steady hitting a high of 114 degrees and the route had about as many turns as a thermometer. There was a nice hilly section south of Oklahoma City that had a couple of scenic turn outs (and the Turner Falls area looked like it might have some hidden pleasures) but again the heat kept me focused on the goal of just getting home.

So, in Gainesville I exited the super slab at FM 51 where I stopped at my favorite drinking establishement for two glasses of ice water and a tall glass of iced java...thumb up

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As the day ends...

FM 51 is a nice road. It's not real curvy but has some nice farms and scenery to at least take your mind off the temps for a moment or two.

As the sun set in the west the temps began to fall. Yep, they plummetted a whole 10 degrees down to 104! They remained above 100 degrees until after 2100 (9 pm) and when I reached home the temps were in the upper 90s at nearly 2200 (10 pm)!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last entry...

The ride was very hot...but it was a great first ride! The Cross Country was everything that I had hoped it would be and more...it's an awesome bike on the open road and it'll be the perfect stead for my lovely bride and I to see the back roads of our great country.

If you are wondering what I had roped to the back of the bike, it's the detachable backrest. JohnC and I lashed it to the trunk and it rode perfectly all the way home.

I hope you enjoyed my first Ride Report...even with the heat it was one 'groovy' ride!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ammo UMB

Thanks and I know you're right about the pleasure factor going up as the temps go down.

Thanks for your 21+ years of service. I know exactly what you mean about the CBTs and the rest of the 'stuff' that we're having to put up with while serving during two active campaigns. I was planning to retire a couple of times but they keep giving me awesome jobs (this last one was offerred after I put in for retirement and it's just an hour 'ride' to work from our retirement home!).

I'm happy to hear you're still serving our country in a different uniform and enjoying life without the mandatory PT sessions and tests! :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
RogueRider congrats on the new bike. I to currently have a Triumph Speedmaster. I have test rode a few Victorys and one day I will own one. Things are not good right now for me to get one,but things will change. Yes I am jealous,ha,ha. Congrats and enjoy.thumb up

·
Registered
693 Posts
Glad to see you took your new ride home in one piece! Hopefully it cools down soon so you can enjoy it!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good report! Thanks, and I also enjoyed all the pics of my favorite color XC. :) Enjoy the bike and ride safe!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone!

Appreciate the kind words...:)

@Speedblue--my son rides a Speedmaster and I still love riding my T100. I originally was looking at the Thunderbird as a cruiser/tourer for the wife and I then found out about the Victory XC. I hope things improve soon and hope to see you out on the road on that Triumph!
@AlStensby--cooler weather will definitely make for a better ride. Looking at cooling vests to help ease the triple digit commute home (I ride 55 miles each way to work)!
@RonBon--I'm with you on the white color scheme...I believe it's the fastest and coolest color out there right?!? cheers

Thanks again and if anyone is near the DFW area and plans a ride please give me a holler!

·
Registered
381 Posts
KeeReck Rougue Rider thumb up

Last week in Stonington, Maine.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice!

Great pic...and the scene looks awesome!

Would love to ride that part of the country someday. I've been up there a couple of times but only for work and never for play. It's on my list of places to visit on the bike and your picture has now raised it's priority!

Would love to read some ride reports and see more pictures of your area...just sayin'...;)

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I saw the bike posted for sale here and drooled at how nice it was!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@RonBou--thanks for the link. Some interesting/funny stories. I love reading ride reports (especially when the weather sucks or I get a break at work). My favorite site is ADVRider.com. It's pretty much dedicated to dual sport riding but there're some great road trips (especially to Alaska) and the Regional forum has some really good reports and info that can be used for trips if you're planning something in the area. Highly, recommend it. Maybe this sight will get ride reporting going a lot stronger and we'll start seeing and reading about the areas around all our members and where they like to ride...:D

@PhilC64--thanks! I had the same reaction...and you should of seen me after my boss/wife gave me clearance to buy it! I feel very lucky to have purchased the bike...now to keep my head above water so I can afford to actually go ride it for fun!;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts