Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the rear tire changed out last weekend. The RideOn sealant/balancer had separated into clear slime and globs of waxy-gummy stuff.

Anyone have similar results with this product? Miles were 8K since installation.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I too have experienced this... It was less than a year and about 10k miles. My mechanic says that's the norm.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've seen that **** throw a tire terribly off balance. Spooky stuff.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hmm Funny some of the guys over on the Venture sie really talk it up as good stuff. Not seen anything about separation or gumming things up. I was thinking about running it next change over. Now may have to think it over more. Bike now has wheel weights on it. Past I have went with balan beads and never had problems. The one thing I did see on research of Ride on was that for our bikes it takes 11oz for the rear tire, 8 for the front. The bottles are sold in 8oz, so we would have to buy 3 @ 29 a piece. It was pretty specific on only running the amount required, so I wouldn't if they have the bottles marked for oz so you can get it correct?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I've used Ride-on in the last two sets of tires and I've had significantly quicker wear than I should have on both sets. Not sure if Ride-On is the culpert but when I had the new Avon mounted I had the choice of traditional balance or balance beads....I told the shop to use the balance beads which means I can't use the Ride-On....I'll be keeping an eye on how this goes over the life of the tire.

·
Registered
244 Posts
One day I was riding with Noe from NoeMtz. He was on a used bike that he had just bought. The front end was going nuts. And I mean just jumping all over...close to causing him to put it down. As I recall, it was the worst when he was slowing down from say 55 to about 20 when it would REALLY start dancing. It was pretty brutal...handlebars flopping all over kinda deal. Not subtle by any means.

What he found when he opened it up was that the previous owner had put in Ride On and it was all gummed up and lumpy. He swapped out the tire and added beads. All of that wicked vibration came from the bad RideOn.

So I have to wonder...did the previous owner not ride it and let it sit, and is THAT why it went bad? Or did the previous owner ride the **** out of it and THAT'S why it went bad? Or does it just go bad over time? Does extreme temp, one direction or the other, have an effect on its lifespan? I'd sure like to know what causes it to go bad for some and not others.

I know other people so swear by that RideOn stuff...so go figure.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I see nothing wrong with the stick on weights my tyre shop use.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I like my stainless tire beads ... Better then the ceramic ones ..

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
So I have to wonder...did the previous owner not ride it and let it sit, and is THAT why it went bad? Or did the previous owner ride the **** out of it and THAT'S why it went bad? Or does it just go bad over time? Does extreme temp, one direction or the other, have an effect on its lifespan? I'd sure like to know what causes it to go bad for some and not others.
I have a feeling it's something simple like "wet air". When we add air to the tires from our home compressors that air is of course a compressed version of the air around us so for those who live in humid climate they are adding wet air into the tires unless they use an air dryer in line somewhere. You can get the screw on ones from Harbor Freight for a few bucks.

Disposable Inline Moisture Filter

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Here's a great idea for tires in general but especially good for M/C tires because of course we only have two (or three for a trike).

A gel laminated in between layers of the tire so when a puncture happens the gel automagically fixes and seals the puncture. We would still need to inspect our tire on a regular basis for nails, screws, etc. I think it would be worth an extra $25 per tire made like this. What do you all think?

IDEA award rolls in for Kumho's Smasher and Sealant tires

·
13,263 Posts
had ride on in my Metzler for 15K worked great no problems.
When I pulled the tire I drilled a few holes in it and not one of them sealed up. So never tried it again. The inside of the tire had a nice even black colored sealant evenly all the way around it.
Dyna beads are great balancer. Will know at the end of the month how hard they are to get out of tire when I change it

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
had ride on in my Metzler for 15K worked great no problems.
When I pulled the tire I drilled a few holes in it and not one of them sealed up. So never tried it again. The inside of the tire had a nice even black colored sealant evenly all the way around it.
Dyna beads are great balancer. Will know at the end of the month how hard they are to get out of tire when I change it
Take a ladies stocking and put it in the vacuum cleaner tube and wrap a rubber band around it after you fold it back over the tube. Vacuum the beads out and pull the stocking out with the beads trapped in it. Repeat with next tire.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
My tire go-to guy is very, very experienced with touring bikes and heavy cruiser tires. A while back, he was installing Ride-On and I had it in my XR's tires. I was having some really bad balance problems, especially at highway speeds, so I went back to him and he said that others were experiencing that too and a couple customers had punctures that the Ride-On failed to seal. So he stopped using/selling/recommending Ride-On and installs Dynabeads now and I never have a balance issue with them. BTW, when my old tires were removed, the Ride-On was all over the rims and sidewalls. Ya live and learn.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
I have to admit I too would be hesitant to use Ride-On at this point. It may work great for some folks but I think I'm sticking with the beads too. They just work. They don't fill in small puncture holes but I'm not exactly sold that Slime or Ride-On does either. The beads are also reusable up to a point and then you can always add more to make up for those that pulverize into dust. Same with the steel beads. I imagine it's critical the steel beads are very small; otherwise they could possibly damage a valve stem or maybe a TPMS system installed inside the tire attached to the valve stem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just had to replace my rear tire on Saturday. Looked across the yard at my bike Friday night and saw a nail head in the back tire. AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!. Checked the pressure, checked again in the morning, rode really slow to the closest place that had a 250 in stock. I had Ride-On in my tire. I'm not 100% sure that is what was able to maintain the pressure and allow me to get to shop, but given the option, I decided that it may have saved me this time, it's worth it to use it in the new tire.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I have a tire machine and a balancer in my garage so it's been years and years since anyone but me has changed one of my tires. I am not nor have I ever been a fan of the balancer/sealants you add to your tires. Dynabeads are OK I suppose, Many people I know and respect use and swear by them. Personally I've never used them, I've got a balancer ;) I may have to try them and form my own opinion.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The ones I have been using are a ceramic bead from a shop out in AZ that has listing on e-bay. I dont think you would want steel beads floating around in an aluminum wheel. But onward. My last 4 sets of bike tires (I think) I have used the beads and always had a smooth ride all the way thru the tire life. Worst one to install was on my 900 Vulcan, it had tube tires. Now that sucked and was time consuming to get all them little buggers in the valve stem hole. On the tubeless tires, I mount them, get bead seated and then push a small section of rim bead down pour in balance beads stand tire up and inflate. The bead being it has seated once usually comes right back out and the beads are sitting in the bottom of tire so dont blow out rim bead.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Jamming, another advantage to the beads, in addition to those previously mentioned, is that tires tend to wear unevenly, by a bit and the beads compensate for that. As djh3 said, there's a perfect balance throughout the life of the tire - no re-balance needed.
I went to balancers when external weights would fall off. One less thing to have to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
i have right angle stems on my wheels. I dont believe the beads will work with these? Am i wrong ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts