Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Paul .thumb up

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never seen that in 30 years of riding. What if you have no helmet
I have never heard of it either, and that is an interesting concept about areas where helmets are not mandatory.
I wonder if someone just made this up to get a lot of views or something.
But there were times I would stop because someone is on the side of the road and it turns out that they are just resting... I don't think the side of the road is a good place to rest, but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I have heard that this is the international signal for a rider in distress.
I have never seen it, but glad I know about it now.

That's fine, but who carries a bowling ball with them!?!?!

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
You youg'uns don't know didly! That has been a "rider needs assistance" symbol going way, way back. I had to use it last weekend when I ran out of gas. Even tho I was on a very busy highway with many bikes going both ways, not one stopped. So I called AAA.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
RICZ nobody stopped ????

Fair to share i have driven in more countries then some of you driven "states" and fair to admit i did not know the helmet distress signals too

I agree with VJ drawing haaaa
Didn't you do this Ric ?

Paul exultant post ..... I was expecting a video about this subject ha ha ha

Attachments

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have had varied luck both broke down and not.
If I see someone on the side of the road I generally give them the thumbs up and see if I get a thumbs up back or a panicked look.

Panicked look and I stop.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I knew about and used it and at one time every state had to wear a helmet .. When first mandated by the Feds back in the late 60's this was when first learned about this .. And anyone that travels likely as not will pass through Helmet states getting to where you are going .. A Handkerchief tied to the Handlebar if another sign of assistance needed ..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This must be a helmet using riders versus helmet free riders thing.

I did not know this and never considered helmet placement at all. If a bike is on the side of the road I assume there is a problem and unless the rider motions for me to keep going I stop. In that brief moment I have never even taken into consideration helmet location. I'm too busy mapping a pullover that doesn't put me in the line of fire.

As far as the old days when the feds held back hiway funds if states didn't force bucketwear, whenever I started riding I never did wear it in Okiehomie. There was no licensing requirement but you were supposed to wear a lid until 17 I think. I didn't. Whenever I moved on I didn't land in any helmet law states until Cali, and now New York. I have taken to wearing one in recent years most of the time anyway so unlike Cali where I ended up leaving because of the helmet law, I'm OK with New York's intrusive nanny state approach to my noggin.

Passing other riders is pretty low class by my standards. Not only that but the adventure is more than just the middle of the road. It's the side of it too.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
You youg'uns don't know didly! That has been a "rider needs assistance" symbol going way, way back. I had to use it last weekend when I ran out of gas. Even tho I was on a very busy highway with many bikes going both ways, not one stopped. So I called AAA.
Looks like you were heading to Condon OR.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Looks like you were heading to Condon OR.
My bike is facing north on Hwy.97 just noth of Shaniko. Gassed up in Baker City, headed for Austin, passed up gas in John Day thinking there's some up ahead in Dayville, Kimberley, Spray, Service Creek, Fossil or Antelope, but no. Surely there's gas in Shaniko at the two stations there and I will REALLY need to fill up there as Hwy. 218 from Antelope to Shaniko is more wickedly twisty than anything I have ever ridden before, including the Alps. Got to Shaniko to discover both gas stations shut down. My original plan was to continue riding west on 216 and connect with 26 just south of Government Camp. I had to cancel that in favor of getting on 97 towards Biggs Jct. so that when I run out, I'd be on a well traveled road. ODO read 244 miles (pretty good for lower gears riding) when the sputtering started and the motor stopped, fortunately within spittin' distance from a cell tower.
Later, I was told there is a station in Fossil that's open 7 days, but I couldn't see it one block off the main road through town. Dang!
I now have more of a hate on for the EPA as their mandate for all gas stations to have to install new underground tanks caused smaller, low volume stations to have to close because there was no way they could afford that tremendous expense. :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts