Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you who just got your April 2014 issue of Rider magazine were wondering, yes, that was me who wrote in to correct some misstatements in that earlier article. For those of you who don't get the magazine, I scanned in my letter (split across two pages), along with Rider's correction notice on the same topic, a few pages later, and put them up as a three-page PDF on my web site: http://www.billanddot.com/Rider-2014-04-correction.pdf

If you want to read the article, it's up on Rider's web site at http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/american-baggers-harley-davidson-street-glide-special-indian-chieftian-victory-cross-country.htm/ , and the XC sidebar is at http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2014-victory-cross-country.htm/

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Bill, I interpret the manual's statement about the cases to mean, make sure they are secured well. One can ride with them off, but it will look weird.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill, I interpret the manual's statement about the cases to mean, make sure they are secured well. One can ride with them off, but it will look weird.
I can see how that's one interpretation, even with the manual's dire warning (I'm paraphrasing, "You're gonna die if you don't put these freakin bags on").

However, check out that document I put up, http://www.billanddot.com/Rider-2014-04-correction.pdf . On the third page there, Rider notes that Victory wrote to them, too (i.e., not just me), and told them the same thing.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I can see how that's one interpretation, even with the manual's dire warning (I'm paraphrasing, "You're gonna die if you don't put these freakin bags on").

However, check out that document I put up, http://www.billanddot.com/Rider-2014-04-correction.pdf . On the third page there, Rider notes that Victory wrote to them, too (i.e., not just me), and told them the same thing.
I've ridden without them after I put the passenger boards on and bolted back the muffler bits. I went for at least a three mile ride. I wonder if that's enough to get me in the World Book? I must admit I feel pretty bold having looked the Reaper dead in the eye only to keep on keepin on bagless and carefree!

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Bill, that reeks of lawyer talk to me. I can see one need to ride with the bags removed...to carry a photographer during a bicycle or foot race. Footrest platforms can be installed on the muffler hangers.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, that reeks of lawyer talk to me. I can see one need to ride with the bags removed...to carry a photographer during a bicycle or foot race. Footrest platforms can be installed on the muffler hangers.
My guess is that because the final-drive belt doesn't have an official built-in guard, if any of it's exposed* with the bags off**, the lawyers saw this as a chance to add a warning in the manual, "earn" their pay, etc.

* (I remove the bags so infrequently that I don't recall. I know that if you take off the right side cover, you expose a couple of inches of belt.)

** (At least with the right saddlebag off. If that's the problem, maybe they should have written: "You're gonna die if you ride with the right saddlebag off, and if you take only the left saddlebag off, you'll be lop-sided.)

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
If the guy in post #5 removed his cases, there would be 3 saddlebags off his bike.:):)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Read the article and for me, this quote says it all ...

"If you want a spacious cockpit that allows you to stretch out, a taut suspension, great frame and good power, and the bike that feels most competent on a winding road, take the Victory."

thumb up

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice overview of the bikes there, but I'm always a little suspicious of any "review" writer that goes to such lengths to not actually recommend one over the other.

Of course, that really means nothing since I would instantly suspect a slant purchased by "advertising dollars" if he should recommend a Harley over the Victory.

Yeah, I'm a mess, I know. :crzy:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Read the article and for me, this quote says it all ...

"If you want a spacious cockpit that allows you to stretch out, a taut suspension, great frame and good power, and the bike that feels most competent on a winding road, take the Victory."

thumb up
Yeah, Rider's a pretty good magazine. I also get Motorcycle Consumer News, which I've never known to be biased.

Contrast those mags with Motorcyclist, some British mags, and suchlike, which would write something like, "The H-D handles like a brick, has all the power of turnip, and outdoes a paint-shaker at idle, but it's just too cool for school, so we pick the Harley as our favorite."

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Yeah, Rider's a pretty good magazine. I also get Motorcycle Consumer News, which I've never known to be biased.
I don't know if it's bias, but I find their rating system can be a little hard to correlate at times. What's written in their articles is usually pretty descriptive, but if you go to the end and look at their star ratings, they give a lot of 4-5 stars on machine characteristics that they don't necessarily write such great things about in the article.

In any event, I do appreciate that they cover the test bike's various systems in sections and seem to be pretty consistent about detailing those sections on every model. Makes it a little easier to compare models even if they aren't tested in the form of a shootout.

I enjoy Rider too, but they aren't nearly as consistent or thorough. Comes across more as random thoughts of a demo rider.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if it's bias, but I find their rating system can be a little hard to correlate at times. What's written in their articles is usually pretty descriptive, but if you go to the end and look at their star ratings, they give a lot of 4-5 stars on machine characteristics that they don't necessarily write such great things about in the article.

In any event, I do appreciate that they cover the test bike's various systems in sections and seem to be pretty consistent about detailing those sections on every model. Makes it a little easier to compare models even if they aren't tested in the form of a shootout.

I enjoy Rider too, but they aren't nearly as consistent or thorough. Comes across more as random thoughts of a demo rider.
Spot on -- agree with you on all counts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts