Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Vegas got a wash today...torrential storm here Im sheltering under a freeway bridge

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Done that many times - except I parked on the other side!

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Itd eased a fair bit by the time I got the phone-camera out.
Part of the ST Patricks day run to celebrate the patron saint of green beer.
A stalwart band of intrepid Aussie bikers and two from your country set off in a southerly direction on the long and winding backroads of northern NSW (new south wales)
Stopping at Mullumbimby the lads strolled into the pub for a green beer and I went to some hippy healthy food joint and ordered a sort of open hamburger but it was super healthy and fresh.....and took longer to make than expected.
Strangely the lads only partook of one ale, as next thing I knew bikes were firing up as my food arrived.
Club pres came over to see where I was as my Vegas sat silent by the roadside.
I told him I'd catch them up once Ive eaten.
Problem was when I got to Lismore there were 3 different ways of getting to our lunch stop at Coraki and I took a punt on which one, but GPS signal wasnt happening and lack of signposts had me way off course so I went Fuggit I'm going back home.
Then the storm arrived

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
I do not mind riding in the rain ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Andre, you would do OK in South East Queensland. When it rains here, it can really rain. But I guess the Northern tip of Indonesia is like that too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not mind riding in the rain ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
I love it too, the weight of fully soaked leathers, water filling up my boots,
Almost zero visibility, sunglasses fogging up, no bandanna, so wet there's water running down my arse crack.
On a highway where the other cars actually drive faster in the wet and many don't use their lights.
Then there's the slower cars with no tail lights that suddenly appear out of the rain haze.
And after a while the bike hesitates when I give it a fistful cos the Torquetubes filters are saturated.
Yeah I really love it too.

Its stopped raining now and its almost 1am and I cant sleep but the prospect of putting on soggy leathers and boots to go for a nightride is out of the question.
Probably take 3 days for my gear to dry out...
At least we dont have snow though:devil

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
Ha ha ha, glorious posts, good ones,

When the riding is over and we book a hotel i always ask if that hotel has a hairdryer .... Jeans / socks / boots / all dry for the next day, and i always carry a rainsuit in my small bag that is strapped on the rear seat ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I love the song Riders on the Storm, but riding in a storm sucks. Now light rain is one thing, a storm is another. I think I have told this story. But last year riding to Sturgis, South Dakota we hit a storm in Colorado not to far from Nebraska. The north sky kept getting blacker and then a dark greenish black. That means hail and it was a HELL of a storm and we had no place to go. Fighting high wins and heavy rain we made it to a overpass and crowded or way under. It was full of cars put we got under there. A mile or so West of us, the direction we had came from. Base ball size hell and 2 tornados came through. Cars had their windshields broke out from both directions, cars, trucks, motor home were over turned and the High way was closed behind us. We found this out after we made it to a town, Sterling, Colorado, and got a room how ever we seen many vehicles with their windows beat out by hail. If we had made it through the area 45 minutes earlier we would have missed it all, Sterling had only got light rain. We where very lucky and storms SUCK!!!

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I have learned the hard way, that when heading out on a road trip, pack for ALL weather eventualities. One time, I left Portland during a heat wave and when I got to the coast, 90 miles away, it was raining and no rain gear.
But drier times are a-comin' folks, watch this short video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=phaBUQ3NU1w&feature=youtu.be

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
No such thing as bad weather, just bad gear.

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
I have learned the hard way, that when heading out on a road trip, pack for ALL weather eventualities. One time, I left Portland during a heat wave and when I got to the coast, 90 miles away, it was raining and no rain gear.
But drier times are a-comin' folks, watch this short video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=phaBUQ3NU1w&feature=youtu.be
Loved the video ... Seems like the USA is getting a bit of free speech on the media, good for you guys ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Loved the video ... Seems like the USA is getting a bit of free speech on the media, good for you guys ....
Not really. That's a YouTube video. We will never see anything like this video on network news.

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I travel fairly light on the Vegas on short hauls,
wet weather gear is a luxury!
got wet again today piloting Nikki back from buying her first bike, shes on her Learners and first real road ride.
Fantastic bike for a learner, we are restricted here, used to me 250cc limit for 2 years but now its power to weight and the Kawasaki Vulcan 650cc ticks all the boxes.
I took her on a bit of a detour off the highway to some valley backroad twisties, the real joy of motorcycling....once we got right out into the rainforest it lived up to its name and poured....so today she beat two of her fears, traffic and rain.
Here she is about to take the maiden voyage.
Ill take her riding again tomorrow weather permitting.
Note the V for Victory ! ..😉

Attachments

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Neato bike you got her and she's all ATGATT too! Good start to a life on two wheels. You do let her lead, so she doesn't have to ride you ride? Good on ya.

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
Haaaaaaa MbX old devil you are ...

downloadfile-9.jpeg

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Wow! The things one can learn on a motorcycle forum.

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
Wow! The things one can learn on a motorcycle forum.
We are never to old to learn .... I find that an imperative mindset ..... to enjoy your working day ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
136 Posts
No such thing as bad weather, just bad gear.
Very true Vindex, but this thread is giving me ugly flashbacks to my misspent youth in Melbourne a thousand miles south, rocking around on a 500 AJS, with winter wet gear that was a WW2 army greatcoat with a bottle of rum in the pocket.
The AJS had it's magneto just behind the front wheel, so every night, out with my girlfriends hairdryer drying out the magneto, so I could start it to ride to work in the rain the next day.
At least SE Queensland where I am now, with Motorbikerx 200 kms south, has most of its rain in summer. Once the storm blows through, its generally nice riding weather again.
The HardBall has room for wet weather gear too. Must be getting old.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Not old, ObiSteve, smarter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts