Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

Just signed up for the site. This place has some great info. I previously had a M109 but have always loved the look of the jackpot and hammer models. I love the fat rear-end. I sold my bike prior to having twins and moving to FL for work. Now I am dying, especially living in such a great climate.

As I am looking at what I want to do, I am up in the air as to whether I want to go with a pre-owned with low mileage or buy new. I have narrowed it down to either the jackpot or hammer. What I was wondering, as you can see by my thread title, how do you tall folk find the comfortability of the two models? I am an ex-college football player (d-line) who still avidly lifts. I am just under 6'-2". My wife is 6' foot tall as well. Just wanted to give you a quick overview. . .

I liked my 9 and it was comfortable but on long hauls, I would have liked the peg positions to be a bit farther out to stretch the legs. I am assuming the same will be said about the vics???

Anything else that you can throw in, advise, inform, etc. . . I'm all ears!!!!!

Thanks guys & gals.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Pacedawg,

I'm 6'-1" and "stocky" build. I fit on my Jackpot fine but if I pushed the pegs forward 2" it would allow my legs to stretch a bit more however.... i like to ride periodically with my ankles over the pegs allowing my legs to straighten completely. If I were to move the pegs forward 2" I wouldn't be able to put my ankles on the pegs for a full stretch position. Just something to consider. My suggestion is to buy the bike that fits your style and riding preference the best then fine tune the fit to your body.

If your wife is planning to ride with you on the bike you may want to have her try sitting on it with you. My wife is 5'-10" and the Jackpot is too small for her to comfortably ride for any length of time as her legs are folded up so much. Something else to consider when shopping.

Whatever you pick, if its a Victory, I expect you'll enjoy it very much. Most owners love them!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys-

Just signed up for the site. This place has some great info. I previously had a M109 but have always loved the look of the jackpot and hammer models. I love the fat rear-end. I sold my bike prior to having twins and moving to FL for work. Now I am dying, especially living in such a great climate.

As I am looking at what I want to do, I am up in the air as to whether I want to go with a pre-owned with low mileage or buy new. I have narrowed it down to either the jackpot or hammer. What I was wondering, as you can see by my thread title, how do you tall folk find the comfortability of the two models? I am an ex-college football player (d-line) who still avidly lifts. I am just under 6'-2". My wife is 6' foot tall as well. Just wanted to give you a quick overview. . .

I liked my 9 and it was comfortable but on long hauls, I would have liked the peg positions to be a bit farther out to stretch the legs. I am assuming the same will be said about the vics???

Anything else that you can throw in, advise, inform, etc. . . I'm all ears!!!!!

Thanks guys & gals.
If I were you I would look for a clean used bike with low miles. I bought a 2012 Hammer S with 600 miles on it for $9,500. My son bought a 2014 Jackpot new for $15,000. Both bikes are great, but I didn't like the skinny front tire on the Jackpot. Since your coming off a 109 you may feel like I did. You can put 2" or 4" extensions on the front pegs. I went with 2" but I'm only 6 foot. To give my wife more leg room and a better seat I went with the Corbin touring. Much improved over stock. Good luck on what ever you buy. Let us see what you get!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
preowned Vic's are a good buy! neither the hammer or the jackpot will be comfy for a passenger. the Hammers bigger front tyre will handle + brake better, dual discs are a plus on older S models + the newest hammer. be aware older 250 rear tyres were more squarish effecting the handling. i installed pirelli night dragons on mine a 240 in the rear for great handling + traction. i have a 13 hammer i got with 833 miles on it 10,500 in 2013, check out all the models + get what fits best, good hunting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Great info. From my understanding, the hammer will handle very much like the 9.

Crazy8- what didn't you like about the skinny front tire? Does it handle that much differently?

I won't be riding doubled up as often. Mostly weekend riding but I'm lucky, the wife wants to learn to ride herself and get a bike. I definitely want a bike to customize. The best part of living in FL vs NJ, I can ride all year round.

I am definitely open to a nice used bike but I love the look of the new hammer. That black and red color scheme is nice.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Go Hammer , you wont regret it ! Welcome to the forum too .cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go Hammer , you wont regret it ! Welcome to the forum too .cheers
Thanks Mags! I am probably about 6 months from the purchase due to upcoming work travel, a potential move and so on but it is a definite. . . Just want to do my home work.

As much as I enjoyed the 9, I hated the headlight and I wanted the 6th gear. Plus, who doesn't want American made!!!!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
preowned Vic's are a good buy! neither the hammer or the jackpot will be comfy for a passenger. the Hammers bigger front tyre will handle + brake better, dual discs are a plus on older S models + the newest hammer. be aware older 250 rear tyres were more squarish effecting the handling. i installed pirelli night dragons on mine a 240 in the rear for great handling + traction. i have a 13 hammer i got with 833 miles on it 10,500 in 2013, check out all the models + get what fits best, good hunting
I agree with this post. The old Dunlops are awful in so many respects, handling and traction a real problem. I went with Avon Cobras and couldn't be happier at the handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Like most vehicles the Vic's depreciate fast in the first couple of years because there's no artificial support to boost the price as there is with the dealer network of a major competitor. Buy used and put the few grand you saved into personalizing the bike. It's a very solid base to build on. Performance upgrades are a good value for the Vic and is where I think most people here start. Cosmetics can be taken as far as your wallet is deep. As for rider size, there's lots of options for both the short and long legged. On long trips it's nice to move around and between floor boards and highway pegs there's multiple choices there as well.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and have 4" extensions it is very comfortable ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
The front tire on the Jackpot just seemed twitchy to me. Also as a kid on my first english bicycle I still remember when the front tire got caught on a railroad track and I went down hard. Just for your information I put a 140/70/18 on the front of the Hammer S and love the tough guy look of it. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
the new Hammer S is not as blingy as the older S models but its thousands less, my added disc cost about $1500 with my free labor. the single front disc was pretty good, its has bigger pistons in its single caliper compared to the earlier dual setups, but the dual setup is surely better, IMO the new S is a good buy unless you find a nice preowned S nearby

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like most vehicles the Vic's depreciate fast in the first couple of years because there's no artificial support to boost the price as there is with the dealer network of a major competitor. Buy used and put the few grand you saved into personalizing the bike. It's a very solid base to build on. Performance upgrades are a good value for the Vic and is where I think most people here start. Cosmetics can be taken as far as your wallet is deep. As for rider size, there's lots of options for both the short and long legged. On long trips it's nice to move around and between floor boards and highway pegs there's multiple choices there as well.
Great info Canuck. Thats my dilemma, lol. I definitely plan on adding my own "personal" touches to whatever bike I purchase. I guess it all comes down to bang for my buck. I've been perusing Craigslist, cycletrader.com and local victory dealers biding my time.

This site has definitely given me some ideas as to what updates I want to add. I keep adding to my list. lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts