Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I had a rude awakening. Heart attack and a 100% blockage. Heart Cath and stent got me 100% flow and little damage to heart. I was LUCKY! I'm going to add a MILD (Effient) blood thinner for at least 1 year, with an asprin a day for the rest of my life. Should I ride while on the thinner? My wife (a nurse) says no problem. I worry if something does happen, about internal bleeding. Probably being a hypocondreac...

·
Registered
121 Posts
With the blood thinners of course you will bleed out quicker internal or external.

If I were you I would just make sure I eat and drink something and are well rested before you ride. :) My dad rides on them and hasnt had any issue.

Need to get him out more. He has 1,250 miles on his 2006 VTX1800.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Wow, that was close! Very happy for you that everything turned out good.thumb up

I believe it depends on the dose...my Mom was prescribed a very low dose (1mg) for years (she didn't ride) and there wasn't a big concern with it. She just needed to stop taking before any medical procedures as anyone would.

BTW, love the rising Phoenix...my wife and I lost a very close friend who grew up in Wickenburg. We've been to AZ a few times now. Another 10 years and we leave the NE without looking back. cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
I too had attack, 100% and 3 stents later, I am on 4 different meds plus aspirin every day. It will be 2 yrs this july. I would suggest seeing how the meds affect you first, ie dizzyness. I have had no problems. Acctually I was back on bike 2 days after. Was bored waiting for week rest period. Wife was NOT happy. :ltr: I needed the mental therapy after that.

·
12,984 Posts
I'm not sure I read what you said right.
Your taking a blood thinner AND a baby aspirin at the same time?
I'm sure you only need one of them not both.
You better go get some Omega 3 fish oil pills to help your heart out.
Get a medical bracelet

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have been on Warfarin, a blood thinner, for 3 years now since I survived a pulmonary embolism. I keep my pt/inr as close to 3.0 as I can... which is quite high when you consider the norm is 1.4 or below. I wear a medical alert and the risk is greatly increased that I will bleed out in a serious accident; BUT I am still riding an average of 25,000 miles a year and do not have any plans to change that. We all are going to die... just do not know how or when!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a pretty major heart attack a little over 4 yrs ago. I also had a 100% blockage. I take Plavix and 325mg asp.every day.(Dr.told me I will be doing this for the rest of my life.) I do everything I did before. All I can say is,RIDE,RIDE ,RIDE,RIDE!!!!!thumb up

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think the most important thing is to know your limits before you start. If you tire easily, experiance dizzy spells or nausea make sure you know what the triggers are and know either how to avoid the triggers or how to counter the effects.

Kingsly,
The same logic works for you and your goals for going out with a bang! I'm giving a lot of credit to someone I don't know so please feel free to replace the word bang with a word of your choice if applicable! That is as long as the word isn't "passion"...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts