Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back into the riding scene last year after a nearly 20 year lull and I have one friend that wants to go riding all the time but I just don't feel comfortable riding with him. He has been riding for years and feels comfortable riding at "His" speed. I told him I'm not going to kill myself off trying to either keep up or ride faster than comfortable when I'm in the lead. I put my foot down last fall and told him I'm not going to ride with him anymore if we have to have a contest on hammering through each section of road..
He's a super guy and fun to hang out with, heck he's even fun to ride with at times but when he gets in his moods on the bike.....:eek
Anyone else have someone like this and how did/do you deal with them?

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Finding a good riding buddy can be much more difficult that finding a wife. Farmer, this guy is obviously a mismatch for you and riding with him can end in a messy "divorce." The only way you can do it, and live with yourself, is to tell him to go on ahead, but wait for you at intersections or whatever. One MUST ride their own ride. I admire that you recognize that - so many don't and get a very painful education.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Good topic .... My take on this

In groups I'm the sweeper .. The guy who stays with the slower people ...

Then when it is time to ride hard and fast ... I move to the forward group to have some fun ...

NEVER TRY TO RIDE OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE .. just relax and find another friend to ride with ...

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I just got back into the riding scene last year after a nearly 20 year lull and I have one friend that wants to go riding all the time but I just don't feel comfortable riding with him. He has been riding for years and feels comfortable riding at "His" speed. I told him I'm not going to kill myself off trying to either keep up or ride faster than comfortable when I'm in the lead. I put my foot down last fall and told him I'm not going to ride with him anymore if we have to have a contest on hammering through each section of road..
He's a super guy and fun to hang out with, heck he's even fun to ride with at times but when he gets in his moods on the bike.....:eek
Maybe you should pick the routes and take the lead when you two ride together? If your friend wants to ride with you, he'll ride at your level.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have a riding buddy too that was a speed demon , 60 in a 35 , you get the jist . Till he hit a deer last season , hope it was a wake up call for him , he is a good guy . I'm actually shocked we haven't had a ton of speeding tickets for all the miles of speeding we have done .:grin

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have a riding buddy too that was a speed demon , 60 in a 35 , you get the jist . Till he hit a deer last season , hope it was a wake up call for him , he is a good guy . I'm actually shocked we haven't had a ton of speeding tickets for all the miles of speeding we have done .:grin
Let's clarify........This is what happens when certain persons expound upon how HARD THEY LIKE TOO RIDE....
Then its a different story when the rubber hits the road......

·
Banned
471 Posts
Well....it seems to me....your friend knows how to ride.....and you need more practice....just saying :eek

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was astounded this morning while driving to work watching a guy on a Hardley with monstrous ape hangers riding about 5 ft off the rear bumper of the vehicles in front of him at 60 mph. The hwy is a major thoroughfare between Ft Worth and Dallas and it is normal for traffic to come to a complete and sudden stop, not to mention deer are struck on this portion of the road all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Watching other people ride gives me stress. It's not about how hard/fast you ride, you should ride well at any pace. Most people don't ride well and don't strive to become better riders either. They will say, "I'm not interested in going fast" and use that as rationale for not improving their skillset. Whether doing the speed limit or doing speed limit times 2 plus 10, it is important to ride well.

Whether it's just two of us or a large group, my friends like for me to lead. Leading is like riding alone... until you look in the mirrors. One has to be mindful of everyone's skill-set and experience. You have to stress (pre-ride) for everyone to ride their own ride at their own pace, and that they will not be left behind. We will wait at the next intersection/light/stop sign for everyone to get there. DO NOT RIDE "OVER YOUR HEAD" and do not be embarrassed to slow down. We would rather wait for you than visit you in the hospital.

Establish hand signals with your friends. Everyone needs to know what the hand signals mean. Communication is important. Signals for 'I gotta pee', 'I need gas', 'cancel your turn signal' (for the metric and sportbike guys), 'single file', 'staggered formation', 'close that gap', 'let me over', 'trade places with me', 'block traffic' ... and use both your turn indicators and hand signals for turns.

My friends make it fun... we yell "SWITCH!" at traffic lights and trade bikes around. You might ride everything from a 30 year old GPZ-750 or a Ninja 250 to a 2016 Road Glide within a few hours. I'm going riding with Craig tomorrow and I guarantee we will ride each others bikes for a while, we usually do.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I just got back into the riding scene last year after a nearly 20 year
You have chosen wisely. A 2007 Kingpin is a very nice tool for the job. Well done. Having the right machine will make getting back into riding a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My humble advice...... Ride alone....
what fun is that? i ride alone A LOT and on occasion it would be nice to have someone to ride with, shoot the proverbial **** with, and in general just have some fun....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Let's clarify........This is what happens when certain persons expound upon how HARD THEY LIKE TOO RIDE....
Then its a different story when the rubber hits the road......
Are you talkin' to me , deer hunter ? ;)

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
Establish hand signals with your friends. Everyone needs to know what the hand signals mean. Communication is important. Signals for 'I gotta pee', 'I need gas', 'cancel your turn signal' (for the metric and sportbike guys), 'single file', 'staggered formation', 'close that gap', 'let me over', 'trade places with me', 'block traffic' ... and use both your turn indicators and hand signals for turns.
I know some of those hand signals but the last four are new, please enlighten me on 'close that gap', 'let me over', 'trade places with me', and 'block traffic'. I am looking forward to getting out with our usual group real soon now, which can often add up to over a dozen bikes. Sometimes we get pretty spread out and things get loose, group gets fractured to where we have the riders in the back virtually running redlights to try to keep up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We always try and keep it tight in my group but sometimes its easier to divide into two small groups.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Don't let your riding buddy, or anyone for that matter, force you into doing something you are not comfortable with. It might not end well for you.

By all means continue riding with your good friend but don't get too worked up about him scooting off once in awhile. He's having his fun too and will wait at the other end of his jaunt. Tell him you don't have a problem with that so he's not feeling guilty.

If you continue to ride together make a plan on where to ride so you can keep up and let him do his aggressive riding on his own. Alternatively, to keep him as a riding friend, simply make plans to have lunch someplace to shoot the breeze and each of you make your own way there.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Picklefarmer--Have you taken an advanced rider course? If not, why not? Got a Ride Like A Pro DVD? If not, get it. In the meantime, watch these videos - funny guy, great tips.....the rest of you can benefit from these too:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CaptCrashIdaho

·
Registered
762 Posts
It only takes one ride for me to determine if I won't ride again with that person. A buddy of mine and I bought our 13 XCT's around the same time and he lives up in the pacific NW. He joined, I believe the larges Vic forum (paid subscription) and went on a rally. He met me later on another different rally and told me he's done with that group. On one rides the "ride captains" drug their pegs and floorboards around every corner in the hills and left everyone. When they got back to their Hotel they were getting digs in to all those that couldn't keep up with them!

Just one time is all it takes.

Reactions: BenD

·
13,263 Posts
Depending what group I ride with there are always some one that goes to fast.
Pick your spot and ride your pace. Find out where they're going and get there when you get there.
Riding in benefit rides or poker rides I always am one at the end of the pack. Yes I don't trust strangers or drinkers

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Depending what group I ride with there are always some one that goes to fast.
Pick your spot and ride your pace. Find out where they're going and get there when you get there.
Riding in benefit rides or poker rides I always am one at the end of the pack. Yes I don't trust strangers or drinkers
On two counts, you are riding with the wrong group VJ. A responsible road captain holds a safety meeting prior to each ride and states the rules, signals and what to do if someone lags behind. As "tail gunner," you have some serious responsibilities if you were in my group.
Strangers / newbies will hear the same lecture from the road captain, so they'll know what is expected.
Any group or rider that mixes drinking and riding I stay away from. That is reserved for when the sidestand is down for the day and we commence telling lies.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts