Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding season, unfortunately is winding down. I have a little more then a month left of tolerable riding weather . My season generally starts late March , (COLD) and ends around November 1st ( COLD). As of now ,commuting to work is about done. I leave my house around 5:15 AM , and its now pitch black out and 35 to 41 degrees out. My commute is 40 miles and 80% highway. No wind protection makes this an uncomfortable ride at best. Just wondering how you guys fare, and what your season of riding looks like based on where you live. Peace. cheers

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm in the same boat Mags, ride as much as I can whenever I can but if my geographical location was better and if mother nature wasn't such a whore then I would ride on 2 wheels always...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Ours is starting even though I ride year around. Finally getting down into the 90s. Our summer is your winter.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
The Rain Festival has started in earnest here in the Northwet. Although daytime winter temps are moderate here (40s to 50s) we can get weeks of rain at a time. That makes for cheap and abundant hydro power, but lousy riding. I put my bike into semi hibernation; full tank with stabilizer, auto trickle charger, fresh oil. When a dry day or two comes along, she's ready for a romp. But I do have a windshield and heated grips and seat to help extend the riding season into winter...you ought to try that, Mags. I have had enough discomfort in my life and I don't volunteer for any more.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ric , I rode to work on Friday... 35 When I left the house, I FROZE , the guys @ work were all calling me Tuff Guy for the day , they all said they were cold that morning and they were in cages ! :ltr:thumb upcheers

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Ric , I rode to work on Friday... 35 When I left the house, I FROZE , the guys @ work were all calling me Tuff Guy for the day , they all said they were cold that morning and they were in cages ! :ltr:thumb upcheers
I can not tell you how effective a heated seat is--you'll have to experience it for yourself. We have Gerbing's electric jacket liners and don't use them anymore, the seat heat is that good. I installed Heat Demon's internal grip heaters cuz the digits get cold in 30 degree riding. BTW,these internal heaters work very well, there's a four step controller and there's no exposed wires.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ric , I looked into heat demons , but , I have the 1 1/4 " bar diameter with 1' on the ends for the controls.... I did not see a switch offered for the 1 1/4' . Am I just missing it?:confused:

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Ric , I looked into heat demons , but , I have the 1 1/4 " bar diameter with 1' on the ends for the controls.... I did not see a switch offered for the 1 1/4' . Am I just missing it?:confused:
1-1/4" bars are rather rare, so they may not have a controller for them. The only problem I ran into was finding bar ends that worked. I needed the type that have an expanding rubber barrel that slips into the end of the bar. They make many for 7/8" bars, but I was able to find only one for 1" bars. Polished aluminum and not bad looking. I believe its put out by Bike Master.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1-1/4" bars are rather rare, so they may not have a controller for them. The only problem I ran into was finding bar ends that worked. I needed the type that have an expanding rubber barrel that slips into the end of the bar. They make many for 7/8" bars, but I was able to find only one for 1" bars. Polished aluminum and not bad looking. I believe its put out by Bike Master.
Guess my hands will continue to FREEZE . :(:crzy::(

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Guess my hands will continue to FREEZE . :(:crzy::(
Heated gloves, jacket liner, pants (or pant liner) and socks will make your cold weather commute enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Sounds expensive ? :D
But well worth it! It's the difference between enjoying cold weather riding, or hibernating the bike. You've got an expensive piece of machinery, what's a few hundred more for a good set of heated gear that enables you to actually enjoy the ride?

We can have cold harsh winters here in KC, but if there's no snow or ice on the roads, you will see me out riding, no matter the temps.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
There is no riding season for me here. I ride year-around. There may be two or three days of snow or ice each year, when I won't ride.

If I lived where you do, it would be different. There would be more snow and/or ice, which scares me. We just don't know what to do with that stuff here.

If I had your bike, it would be different. There would be no weather protection. I have a Cross Country Tour specifically so I can ride all year and to all places -- work, the store, church, road trips, wherever.

I also have some gear specifically so I can ride all year: leather jacket, heated jacket liner, heated gloves, scarves, long johns, boots, chaps and the bike has heated grips and seats.

So, what it comes down to is this: some of the riding limitations are due to the climate and some are due to the degree to which the rider has prepared for it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya , if I had an XC , I would probably ride most of the year... Maybe time to trade up....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
First, this is a horribly depressing topic! :(

2-Up is winding down - she doesn't often do below 60 like that's cold or something. All by my lonesome I'll go til snow or mid 30's so early December.

Looking between the guys in Canada and the guys in the South West seems no matter where we live 9-10 months is about the max season.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pointman , my wife is pretty much done also.... Sucks:(

·
13,236 Posts
My riding season, unfortunately is winding down. I have a little more then a month left of tolerable riding weather . My season generally starts late March , (COLD) and ends around November 1st ( COLD). As of now ,commuting to work is about done. I leave my house around 5:15 AM , and its now pitch black out and 35 to 41 degrees out. My commute is 40 miles and 80% highway. No wind protection makes this an uncomfortable ride at best. Just wondering how you guys fare, and what your season of riding looks like based on where you live. Peace. cheers
why not get a heated jacket there the best thing since sliced bread.
put on windshied for spring and summer. Memphis shades is 4 quick bolts to put on and take off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This will be my first winter with the Hammer but going through a couple winters on the ZX-14 my favorite purchase was a baraclava that is long enough to go under my jacket collar. I have some Vega overpants that are lined and do the trick too and of course a lined jacket. We have some cold days, and working evening shift coming home at 11pm in the low 30's high 20's can be a chore. I bought some cheap bilt gloves from cycle gear that are waterproof and lined and they're awesome for cold weather riding. I think they're only 20 bucks or so, the model is tornado I believe.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
keep the suggestions coming guys .....thumb up

1 - 20 of 57 Posts