Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject line should tell ya I'm older...:rolleyes:

and have developed some nagging , annoying, painful arthritis. Anyone else ? Just curious what you may take for it ? if you have reached the stage of needing some relief. In just the past year mine has come on fairly strong. Aleve used to bring some relief....but not much anymore . And of course it is hampering my riding a bunch ! I hate the thought of giving it up, but most days lately,..the pain overrides the enjoyment.

Anyhow...just thought I'd ask.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i take a USANA brand suppliment called procosa, seems to help, i have arthritis in my foot, doesnt hurt after taking this stuff, and it helps with my psoriasis

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
oh and ive been taking stuff like this for about 5yrs now, im 38.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's the story of my life too. With me it's the hands and hips. Cruise control helps quite a bit for the hands as one might expect. Hips aren't an issue for riding other than the occasional kick to the saddle bag lid when getting on or off. Aleve works pretty good if it gets too bothersome. I usually just grin and bear it. Stretch out a bit when I stop for gas. Gettin' old ain't for sissies. I'll be damned if these aches, pains, and stiffness stop me from living my life and enjoying myself.:ride:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i take a USANA brand suppliment called procosa, seems to help, i have arthritis in my foot, doesnt hurt after taking this stuff, and it helps with my psoriasis

WoW 38 is young !

Thanks I'll look that up and do a little reading on it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So...do you think [or know for sure] that what you have is psoriatic arthritis ? I believe that is what I have. As I do have psoriasis also...both mostly just developed in the last year. The arthritis itself may have been creeping up on me? and i just wrote it off as old age?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
WoW 38 is young !

Thanks I'll look that up and do a little reading on it.

I'm 40 and have severe arthritis in both shoulders and both hips. I take tramadol for pain and diclofenac SOD DR for anti-inflammatory. I have stronger meds for when I'm not on the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
no idea, i had a knob on the bottom of my foot that hurt, went to the dr to get it looked at, they took xrays and said arthritis, the psoriasis came shortly after, after some research i connected the two, i started taking a Shaklee joint health supliment, the wife is now part of usana and gets the procosa for me. at first the psoriasis was all over, arms, legs, head, back, etc, the joint health stuff cleared it up pretty quickly, now its just on my elbows a little, flairs up at certain times of the seasons, but just on my elbows.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 40 and have severe arthritis in both shoulders and both hips. I take tramadol for pain and diclofenac SOD DR for anti-inflammatory. I have stronger meds for when I'm not on the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Dag...you're young too !...

I guess maybe instead of bitchin'bout having it now...I should be thankful I didn't get it ..TILL ..now. Started at 65...just turned 66.

I really appreciate all these [suggestions]? And no I won't go off half crazed and start taking any of them. I will look into / study them & decide what sounds best for me. Might even run them past my doc.

My hope...if I get it....is to find something "natural" as I really tend to shy away from "medicine" if at all possible. And to be honest...not sure I trust allot of "western" medical care in general...yes ya hear allot of good...but also a bunch of bad...:(...it is in many cases a crap-shoot.

I have heard that Marajuna in many cases is the ticket ??...never tried it. But it is illegal in my state anyway. And @ 66 w/arthritis ...jail is not where i want to be....:p

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The wife was plagued by arthritis in her 40's. The doctors put her on large doses of naproxen for the pain. Blood work quarterly to be sure they weren't killing off her liver and kidneys.

-- Long story in the middle over a period of years --- Bottles of pain meds, blood tests etc. ----

She ended up finding out she had developed food allergies to common foods that she ate constantly. These were causing a immune reaction in her joints that was causing the arthritis. When she changed her diet she was able to stop taking the naproxen permanently within days. We stumbled on it by accident.

Turns out there are 2 very common food allergies that bring on arthritis in a sizeable percentage or the population. Or better said these people experience improvement in their arthritis when they exclude these groups of food from their diets. They are allergies to corn, and allergies to plants in the nightshade family. My wife is allergic to both corn and some nightshade plants. Some of the doctors and nutritionists we have been to see have told us that almost a third of all arthritis patients get some form of relief from a change in diet. Whatever that really means.
Nightshade includes tomato's , eggplant, potato's peppers, see this list:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/nightshade-vegetable.htm

Corn of course means anything with corn or any corn byproducts in it.
That's a hard one as most processed foods have some corn product or another in them. You pretty much have to visit your local happy hippy market and read every label carefully to completely stop eating corn. But completely excluding it from your diet is the fastest and surest way to find out if you are allergic to it.

If you stop eating these things for a couple of weeks and nothing improves then your arthritis isn't being caused by an allergy to them. Pretty simple. You can go back to eating what you want or spend the money to get tested to see if there are other foods that you should avoid. My wife was lucky in that when she changed her diet the results were immediate. After that she got herself tested for food allergies and found that she was allergic to some other foods as well. Her overall health improved dramatically since she changed her diet. Lost 60 or so pounds as a bi product and has kept it off for almost 9 yrs.

Food allergies sneak up on you. She is quite allergic to tomato's. They were one of her favorite foods and she ate them in everything.
Never had any reaction to them other than the arthritis . Not something that we would have connected with eating tomatoes.
Now she no longer eats them. If she accidently eats apiece of tomato or tomato product, she gets an upset stomach shortly thereafter. She had to stop eating them for a while before that change took place.

Anyway good luck. I have some arthritis but it isn't dietary induced. Wish it was.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Dag...you're young too !...

I guess maybe instead of bitchin'bout having it now...I should be thankful I didn't get it ..TILL ..now. Started at 65...just turned 66.

I really appreciate all these [suggestions]? And no I won't go off half crazed and start taking any of them. I will look into / study them & decide what sounds best for me. Might even run them past my doc.

My hope...if I get it....is to find something "natural" as I really tend to shy away from "medicine" if at all possible. And to be honest...not sure I trust allot of "western" medical care in general...yes ya hear allot of good...but also a bunch of bad...:(...it is in many cases a crap-shoot.

I have heard that Marajuna in many cases is the ticket ??...never tried it. But it is illegal in my state anyway. And @ 66 w/arthritis ...jail is not where i want to be....:p

USANA is natural, my wife could school you all day long on it! haha shes been to several conventions about the products. the pills are pressed together and not glued like the other vitamins/suppliments, and they are(i believe) the only suppliment company with fda approval. suppliments dont have to follow fda, they can really put in them what they want, so to have fda backing is a pretty big deal

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe,

Wow! I have never heard that about the food allergy connection to arthritis . I always read that there was no known reason, or cure for it. Oddly enough, like your wife I luv tomato's and eat them often,[matter of fact I just returned from the store, picked up a pack of six]. Same thing with peppers...just had stuffed peppers last night for supper. Not saying it is my problem as well, but sure something to look into.
Thanks!

It is in my family though...my mother had it something fierce ! Back then the "go-to" pill was Doan's pills.....I believe they were/are an NSAID.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Joe,

Wow! I have never heard that about the food allergy connection to arthritis . I always read that there was no known reason, or cure for it. Oddly enough, like your wife I luv tomato's and eat them often,[matter of fact I just returned from the store, picked up a pack of six]. Same thing with peppers...just had stuffed peppers last night for supper. Not saying it is my problem as well, but sure something to look into.
Thanks!

It is in my family though...my mother had it something fierce ! Back then the "go-to" pill was Doan's pills.....I believe they were/are an NSAID.
After the fact when we would talk to Dr's, physical therapists, nutritionists, Chiropractors, etc and tell them what we had been through mostly they would look at us like "you didn't know that?"
Actually most of them said that to us. One of her doctors was genuinely surprised initially but after ordering blood tests told her she didn't really understand it but to continue to do what she was doing because she could see a huge improvement in her blood work.

If you look at it from the doctors point of view you can see why they don't bring it up. It only works for a relatively small percentage of patients. It's not easy to do. People take what they eat for granted and stopping eating some of the most common foods available is a real pain in the butt. Going shopping means reading every label. If only one in 3 of your patients get anything in return for all their work that means that 2 in 3 did all that work for nothing. Giving you a pill to control the pain works for everyone. That makes for happy customers and happy customers pay their bills..

Fortunately even though my wife can't eat tomatoes, potatoes don't bother her at all. Everyone is different. There really isn't any normal when it comes to human beings.

If you are a person who has unknown food allergies and your body is telling you about it. You will feel much better once you stop eating whatever it is you are allergic to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stretching

I'm a young'in and don't claim to know anything.
But I would like to mention stretching exercises are very under-rated, and can help a ton (for all ages, and lots of situations).

This especially helped me in my wrist and fingers, as I was getting early stages of carpal tunnel. I was getting a constant numbness in my fingers, and wrist pain.

After 4 or 5 weeks of stretching exercises, those symptoms just about completely went away.

That and Tramadol helps a lot too..

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RGP,

I'm going to tell you that the single greatest thing that you can do for some relief from the pain of arthritis is exercise.
OK...and I'm going to tell you that most days....lower extremities exercise is all but impossible .....due to the pain.

It is a chicken/egg thing DillPickle....and [not to be a smart-ass] but if you don't have it ?....you really don't know. Once severe enough ?...certain mobility is all but gone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts