Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot of people talking about how each marque differs in performance, but I have a question for anyone who has experience riding with, instead of against, other brands of motorcycle.

I am just curious at this point, because I am still in the educated buyer phase. Been riding HDs for almost 16 years, so any deviation from that will be a huge change. I also ride with other people, who ride a lot of different types of bikes, but as of yet, no one on a Vic, or an Indian.

Are they that different, or are they pretty close when doing pack riding, and formation type stuff?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not understanding the question. Sorry I'm a little slow.
It is a machine. It does what the loose nut holding the handlebars tells it to.
If you like it, get it. If not, well,you took a look.
If you are asking if it will keep up, yes, with most bikes. If you ride with sport bikes or some of the better sport touring, it depends on the loose nut holding their handlebars.

Happy Shopping

·
Registered
427 Posts
I must be lost too. Are you saying if all the same brand bikes will follow each other like a pack of wolves? If you throw another brand into the mix you will upset the balance of nature and the road will open up and swallow you whole? Ride what you want if they won't ride with you because of your steed then you need new friendscheers.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
I think the previous posters got it covered,
what a strange question.
Pack riding then mines up near the front if I want it to be..
Its a different animal to my previous string of XS650's, CB750/4's, bol'dor 900's,
And the GPZ900r that I sold to help fund my Vegas.
A few recent rides with groups have been frustrating with people that brake constantly as opposed to thinking ahead and using engine braking, and its apparent a lot of them are great in a straight line but nervous on corners, add to that having a HD. Chop straight across by bow unnanounced when peg scrapung up a windy road in a big group and nearly taking me out.
I find the safest place to be is up the front.
Or I ride alone as Im not really a pack animal.
Victory outshines most with a good rider on board.

·
13,003 Posts
There are gears in the primary no chain so its nosier.
Bags hold way more then any harley. The air shock adjust for what weight you have.
You only have one oil that lubes every thing and no mess changing oil. Very easy job.
You have to lube the clutch perch where the cable end is about once a month more if you wash it a lot.
The bike is very sound and a great runner. 90% of the time you can beat any stock harley.
All cross models and vision run on radial tires so you get a smoother ride. You have to buy a good tire gauge and check tires once a month to get long life out of them.
Most all dealer do not carry parts they have to order them.
Have your dealer give you a tour of the service area see how long the tech have been serviceing Vic's.
If your buy new and after you come up with price tell him you want the first 500 mile check up for free that will save you a couple hundred buck.
I have owned 35 different harleys and Vic is good that have a very pour choice in tee shirts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean about packs sometimes not behaving as they should. The prblem with pack riding is that sometimes when motorcycles have different power bands they perform differently; shift points and acceleration and all. I've never had the pleasure of doing side by side with a Vic or an Indian. I was hoping someone might have experience with that.

Done research, and been to the dealer yesterday, but couldn't ride due to weather. Still doing homework, and also waiting for the 15s to come out to see what's new. Ideally, I can keep the Harley and add a Vic to the stable. But, a lot depends on finances. I have to pay off a couple of bills, then I should have the bread. Hoping by the end of this year. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Stretch, you're gonna find that Vics get a lot of respect from all circles,that is, if they know what it is. I ride with H-D groups, cruiser groups and touring bike groups. Note that I don't call them packs or gangs. If they deserve that title, I avoid them. There are certain rules and protocols to group riding and any experienced group leader will have a safety chat prior to a ride. Ride what works for you and don't pay any mind to what you think others think. That's silly.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
BMWs and HDs tend to ride in packs but that's usually a choice and not a rule. Ride with whomever you wish to ride with - if you get shunned find new riding buddies.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Done research, and been to the dealer yesterday, but couldn't ride due to weather. Still doing homework, and also waiting for the 15s to come out to see what's new. Ideally, I can keep the Harley and add a Vic to the stable. But, a lot depends on finances. I have to pay off a couple of bills, then I should have the bread. Hoping by the end of this year. We'll see how it goes.
If you step up to the plate and buy a Victory, you won't be riding your Harley much. The Victory's ride is far more comfortable,far more powerful and far more agile in the corners.
I kept my Road King for a while and sold it after the purchase of the XCT. Getting back on the Road King was like climbing on a little toy bike.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I ride with only HD guys... My experience is the problem with the 96" and 103" not keeping up. 4 of my buddies have 120's and 2 with the 110's they have no issues keeping up and passing my Vic.

Ride it like you stole it... Or just stay home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having ridden Indians (and the odd HD earn times were rough) all my life I am quite used to riding with other brands.Soon that will be a thing of the past. My best friend in the world bought a Victory in 1999 I think a VC Classic? and was killed on it. That's all I know about Vics except Pop rides one and he says their ok, thats good enough for me. I don't care what you ride. I have always chosen to ride American. I might laugh at you if you are on rice, I can't help it I think it looks really stupid to ride a "metric" with an American flag on it. My Dad was a guest of the Empire of Japan during WWII, it's in my DNA. I don't ride with drunks either, I'm riding with you and you have more'n 2 beers, see ya next time bro. Did that answer the question?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
never rode vic or hardly baggers but my 13 hammer is a lot better than the 13 not so super glide i test rode. my buddy a ducati guy but has a road glide for longer rides was really impressed with my hammer, a vic may be his next purchase!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I know what you mean about packs sometimes not behaving as they should. The prblem with pack riding is that sometimes when motorcycles have different power bands they perform differently; shift points and acceleration and all. I've never had the pleasure of doing side by side with a Vic or an Indian. I was hoping someone might have experience with that.

Try a test ride, it is worth waiting for. Don't ride it like a Harley, it will not like you for it. In fact rev the HD and it will show you a different side of itself. Why people lug the heck out of these things I'll never understand. It is a pretty nice ride if you turn it loose.

As to group riding, and power bands, the Vic and Indian are similar to a Goldwing, Venture, HD, in the RPM range they seem to like. All these are withing a couple hundred RPM's at the same speed. NOW, shift points, riding style, etc., etc., are up to the rider. If you need someone to tell you when to shift or brake, you need to get into a riding class. All the MACHINES will get along fine. The problem is in the loose nut holding the bars.

Have fun cheers

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
biased for sure, but looking at the Arizona Victory vids it seems harley is going backwards to make more $$$ on repairs + services. newer models that remove access to check things stinks, working on Vics is so much easier when needed. pulling the back wheel on my 13 hammer is gravy!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try a test ride, it is worth waiting for. Don't ride it like a Harley, it will not like you for it. In fact rev the HD and it will show you a different side of itself. Why people lug the heck out of these things I'll never understand. It is a pretty nice ride if you turn it loose.

As to group riding, and power bands, the Vic and Indian are similar to a Goldwing, Venture, HD, in the RPM range they seem to like. All these are withing a couple hundred RPM's at the same speed. NOW, shift points, riding style, etc., etc., are up to the rider. If you need someone to tell you when to shift or brake, you need to get into a riding class. All the MACHINES will get along fine. The problem is in the loose nut holding the bars.

Have fun cheers
Rode both the Vic and the Indian. Liked the Highball, and the XC, loved the vintage, but have some limitations. I like locking bags, so that kind of puts me off of the Indian. I have a windshield bike because I like the take the shield off in the summer. It's just cooler to ride that way.

I also park indoors, so a fairing is out. I do like the XC, and it is roomy compared to my King, but the poser windshield on it outright sucks. It channeled the wind directly into my face. Handling was excellent, and I couldn't tell that I was riding a barge while seated on it. Holds a line really well.

The Vintage I ended up on as a fluke. I was riding the highball, and that bike has some guts, but hte guy I was with who was riding the Indian wanted to try it. I nearly bought the vintage, or actually an accessorized classic in black. But, no locking bags, and, still slightly upside down on the King.

Do not want to burn any bridges though. I am still thinking maybe next year I can do something. But, I have to say, riding home from the test ride, and I fell in love with my King all over again.

On the upside. I got a killer new helmet at the dealer. A Fulmer V2 bobber in Capt America flake. Almost 150 dollars. So, heck, at least it wasn't a waste of time for them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rode both the Vic and the Indian. Liked the Highball, and the XC, loved the vintage, but have some limitations. I like locking bags, so that kind of puts me off of the Indian. I have a windshield bike because I like the take the shield off in the summer. It's just cooler to ride that way.

I also park indoors, so a fairing is out. I do like the XC, and it is roomy compared to my King, but the poser windshield on it outright sucks. It channeled the wind directly into my face. Handling was excellent, and I couldn't tell that I was riding a barge while seated on it. Holds a line really well.

The Vintage I ended up on as a fluke. I was riding the highball, and that bike has some guts, but hte guy I was with who was riding the Indian wanted to try it. I nearly bought the vintage, or actually an accessorized classic in black. But, no locking bags, and, still slightly upside down on the King.

Do not want to burn any bridges though. I am still thinking maybe next year I can do something. But, I have to say, riding home from the test ride, and I fell in love with my King all over again.

On the upside. I got a killer new helmet at the dealer. A Fulmer V2 bobber in Capt America flake. Almost 150 dollars. So, heck, at least it wasn't a waste of time for them.
Every motorcycle has its own character. Fortunately we have all these choices. I not only ride with different brands, but as the road captain of an MC my job is to inspect every bike and make sure it's safe to ride. There isn't one modern bike over 1 liter that I wouldn't be happy to ride.

Riding long distances (8-12 hours) I start to get really picky, but most riders don't do that, and only a few bikes are targeting that market.

Keep your mind open and your wallet close I say. Moving to another bike involves expense, and if that expense isn't worth moving from the King, don't do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Every motorcycle has its own character. Fortunately we have all these choices. I not only ride with different brands, but as the road captain of an MC my job is to inspect every bike and make sure it's safe to ride. There isn't one modern bike over 1 liter that I wouldn't be happy to ride.

Riding long distances (8-12 hours) I start to get really picky, but most riders don't do that, and only a few bikes are targeting that market.

Keep your mind open and your wallet close I say. Moving to another bike involves expense, and if that expense isn't worth moving from the King, don't do it.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking right now. Been 16 years riding on a hog, but it's impossible to forget the 13 years I wasn't riding. Now, when I look at Vic, I say, if only they were around back then. Riders today have no idea how good they have it.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the High Ball. The bars gave me some cramps in my left hand, which would be a minor adjustment, but that bike has a lot of guts, and I'd love to have one. Hard to believe it is factory stock. I am totally impressed with it.

To be fair, I also looked at a Fat Bob, and almost worked that trade. Some similarities there. The other bike on that short list is the Thunderbird. But I'd rather, much rather, ride US iron. Even though the T-bird is one hella scooter.

Fit and finish on the new Vic bikes is top notch. Nothing like the old bikes. I don't know what they've done differently, but the older models look like they weren't quite ready for prime time. The new ones are a different story altogether. They've come a long way.

Now watch me get drawn and called out for that XC they're drawing for in Sturgis, with me 2200 miles away. That would be a fine example of my luck.

Anyways, still kicking the idea around. Playing wait and see at this point. Maybe someone else will come out with a decent bike that fits the bill like the King does. Anyone's guess at this point. But that's the climate here, and the King is perfect for it.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Belonging to the Southern Cruisers Riding Club in North FL and also Riding with the Gator Riders based in Gainesville, FL, both groups which welcome all makes of Motorcycles have had no problem enjoying their Group Rides .. While some Shift Patterns are different some High Torque some High Power is a simple matter of Riding Properly and Safely in a Group .. I have even joined a Few HOG Rides with some HD friends being a 40 Year HD Owner myself, and while a few are stand off strictly HD types most are friendly and some even curious and admiring of the Victory .. I like most all Motorcycles and while many are not anything I want to own can still admire a machine for what it is .. I totally admire the BMW with it's Quality and Power but have no desire to own one .. Victory fills my needs with Power and Handling just fine ..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Well! This is a stretch but, I believe it is a good idea for every one that rides to taste and see as many brands possible. Metric or American, there are so many that have that fun factor... like you are flying.

This is bike #5 for me in as little as 3 years and the variety has been a blast but now is the time to settle down.

·
Registered
636 Posts
There are gears in the primary no chain so its nosier.
Bags hold way more then any harley. The air shock adjust for what weight you have.
You only have one oil that lubes every thing and no mess changing oil. Very easy job.
You have to lube the clutch perch where the cable end is about once a month more if you wash it a lot.
The bike is very sound and a great runner. 90% of the time you can beat any stock harley.
All cross models and vision run on radial tires so you get a smoother ride. You have to buy a good tire gauge and check tires once a month to get long life out of them.
Most all dealer do not carry parts they have to order them.
Have your dealer give you a tour of the service area see how long the tech have been serviceing Vic's.
If your buy new and after you come up with price tell him you want the first 500 mile check up for free that will save you a couple hundred buck.
I have owned 35 different harleys and Vic is good that have a very pour choice in tee shirts
cheers exactly what he said...... Terrible t- shirts, but the bike is sound.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts