Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

First post here, thought I'd better get busy posting because I know how valuable a good forum and message board can be.

I'm hoping I didn't goof!

I just bought through auction a retired police Cross Country. It's a 2013 with 12k miles, all black in color.

I haven't even picked it up yet, lol, but will be reading here regularly for tip, tricks, and help! Of course the main concern for me to start with is availability of parts and support, etc.

I'm a former Road King rider, sold that bike a couple years ago and have been wanting to ride for the past year or so.

Good to meet you all! I'll post more and even some pics after I pick her up.

ranamy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the fold! I wonder if the AR mounts are still in the saddle bags, or if they removed them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks yago20,

I neglected to ask and didn't know about the mounts until you mentioned it. I'll report back as soon as I check. Didn't notice anything mount-wise, but you got me curious now, lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks BBob,

Small town, had two of them. I do know I'll be getting the radio box, but am not sure what to use it for or even if I will use it. They did take off the strobes, etc. I'm hoping to get some of the lights to cover up the holes left by removing them.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Congrats on a good bike - hope you got it a good price too.
The first thing one new to the wonderful world of Victory should know is, there is just one oil sump and drain plug. And the oil level is checked only with the bike VERTICAL. Guys have come on this forum with problems caused due to ignorance of that fact,
I hope there was an owners manual with that bike, if not, download one and read it cover to cover.
Feel free to ask questions...we are here to help. Yes, there are still parts and accessories available, but not all. Good places to look are; buywitchdoctors.com, Victory Motorcycles buy sell and trade on Facebook, and there are a couple of sister sites to that there too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that info RICZ!

Glad to hear about one plug, that sounds like something I can handle, and will remember the vertical info as well.

I'll post some pics and maybe even the price sometimes after I get her cleaned up. I do know what I paid was below KBB and NADA for whatever that's worth! lol.

Never been a big believer with book values and bikes, way too many variables usually.

Will get the owner's manual and check out the links you provided, thanks again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Had a you-tube video of a Vic on a obstacle course. I've seemed to have lost it to cyberia.

An "old" link attached. Didn't test it to see if it was still active.

victorypolicemotorcycles.com

http://victorypolicemotorcycles.com/

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Elmvale ON Canada ranamy...

You've made a choice to return to riding...I'm sure you will love your vic....40 plus years riding and can honestly say this is the best bike I have ever owned....Look forward to seeing pics of your new ride...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I just bought through auction a retired police Cross Country. It's a 2013 with 12k miles, all black in color.
Of course the main concern for me to start with is availability of parts and support, etc.
Welcome to the fold ranamy, You're going to enjoy that CC ....and don't worry about a thing, "parts" are only needed for bikes that actually break ... :wink

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'm a former Road King rider, sold that bike a couple years ago and have been wanting to ride for the past year or so.
You'll probably want to shift -- and also cruise, and also wring out -- at higher RPMs than you may be used to, with a typical H-D. Just a don't-lug-it heads up.

On a related note, make sure you shift into 2nd, from a 1st gear take-off, beyond the auto-neutral speed (0 - 5mph, as I recall); if you tried to shift to 2nd at, say, 4mph, this feature would say, "Oh, you want to go into neutral, no problem, I'll do that for you." Better to shift at 10mph or more. All that aside, the auto-neutral finder is a very nice feature, IMHO.

And make sure the grommets (three on each side) for the side covers are in good shape -- if not, replace them -- and the barbs all the way in them. The right side cover gets removed for changing the air amount in the shock, both sides for removing the seat (which, in turn, needs to be removed for changing the air filter, for example). Some folks have had a side cover come loose, which can then go sailing down the road.

Last, when I owned a Vic -- an XCT -- I found the shift lever required more up-tick movement than I had been used to on other bikes. That is, in between downshifts, make sure you raise your foot high enough so that the lever can then be in a position to be pushed down to the next lower gears. If not, you may not be able to perform a rapid series of downshifts (e.g., coming up to a light). At least that was my experience, until I got used to it after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the fold ranamy, You're going to enjoy that CC ....and don't worry about a thing, "parts" are only needed for bikes that actually break ... :wink
thanks PaiN,

lol on breakage, sounds good.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Shift at over 3K rpm - the higher the better. Lower the shifter so that when you slip your foot under it you've taken up most the slack. If you pre-load the shifter, You will get quieter and smoother shifts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll probably want to shift -- and also cruise, and also wring out -- at higher RPMs than you may be used to, with a typical H-D. Just a don't-lug-it heads up.

On a related note, make sure you shift into 2nd, from a 1st gear take-off, beyond the auto-neutral speed (0 - 5mph, as I recall); if you tried to shift to 2nd at, say, 4mph, this feature would say, "Oh, you want to go into neutral, no problem, I'll do that for you." Better to shift at 10mph or more. All that aside, the auto-neutral finder is a very nice feature, IMHO.

And make sure the grommets (three on each side) for the side covers are in good shape -- if not, replace them -- and the barbs all the way in them. The right side cover gets removed for changing the air amount in the shock, both sides for removing the seat (which, in turn, needs to be removed for changing the air filter, for example). Some folks have had a side cover come loose, which can then go sailing down the road.

Last, when I owned a Vic -- an XCT -- I found the shift lever required more up-tick movement than I had been used to on other bikes. That is, in between downshifts, make sure you raise your foot high enough so that the lever can then be in a position to be pushed down to the next lower gears. If not, you may not be able to perform a rapid series of downshifts (e.g., coming up to a light). At least that was my experience, until I got used to it after a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the good tips there Bill, will check those grommets for sure. :eek

·
12,983 Posts
ranamy
Welcome aboard. Hope you got owners book. Checking oil on vic's is not like and other bike.
Happy Trails

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome... you're going to love that Cross Country. I predict that there will be no more Harleys for you....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok fellas as promised here's a pic or two of my new toy.

I do have some questions I need answered re: operating and possible mechanical issues; is it ok to ask here or should I create a new thread?

They (the city I bought it from) took EVERYTHING off the bike other than the American flags on the saddle bags.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I like those police bars around the saddlebags. Sharp-lookin' ride!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts