Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put on some National Cycle Cruiseliner saddlebags that have support clips that sit on their mount. These clips and the mount are hitting the swingarm on the right side and scratching the hell out of it. I guess that's why the Victory hard leather saddlebags have a cutout on the right bag, so it doesn't hit when you go over bumps.

Anyone have a suggestion on using a different mount/bracket for these hard bags? I had them painted blue to match my Kingpin and like them. They are from a former bike I had. If they would just stick out a little more they might not hit. I cut up some Victory hard bag brackets and mounted my former National Cycle mount to them. They look fine but are doing a number on the swingarm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
By swingarm, do you mean the Belt guard? I recently had a similar issue with trying to mount some aftermarket bags on my Vegas. The only solution is to either use OEM saddlebags, which are notched out on the right bag to clear the belt guard, have the bags mounted about 2 inches away from the fender strut (which looks really stupid), or they will have to be angled out at the bottom to clear the guard (which also looks really dumb in my opinion). Another option is to have some bags custom made. I cut my right saddlebag and tried to make it work, but it still hit the belt guard. I ended up just getting the OEM bags with the OEM quick release brackets. Work perfectly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. You are describing the problem. By swingarm I mean the part underneath the belt guard, right where the axle nut adjuster is. There's one on the left side too, but the right one sticks out farther. When going over bumps the bag mount travels down and hits the swingarm. I even adjusted the shock to allow for less travel but that didn't work either. I had the OEM hard leather covered bags but sold them. I like these NC hardbags painted blue to match my blue Kingpin. I am going to try to angle them out to clear the swingarm and axle adjuster, but was hoping someone knew of saddlebag mounts/brackets that would work for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re rub

GT,

The Ghost/Easy Brackets might work! I have them on my KP with Edge Bags and have no problem. The brackets mount the bags to the fender strut bolts and allow for quick disconnect with a keyed cam lock device. These brackets would never be able to reach the swing arm. Pictures of the problem would probably help some to visualize your problem and maybe that could give you a better solution. Good Luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I tried to show the damage in the second photo. In the third photo the back of the saddlebag has two silver metal tabs on the bottom that slip over the saddlebag mount. Both the mount and the silver tabs are causing the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
RE Mounts Rubbing

The Ghost Bracket might work since they are only about half as long. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether they would interfere with the lid operation. I have attached a picture of the bracket mounted to my bag in another thread. If you can find that it would give you more information. Good Luck.

Found the other thread. Look at the 'Bags and Easy/Edge Brackets' thread and there are pictures that might help. I do like your bags. Hopefully you can find a fix for that nasty rub.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I would be concerned about is whether they would interfere with the lid operation.
Found the other thread.
I actually contacted Easy Brackets a while back and was told that they may not work with the lid, like you said, because the brackets are tilted like in your photo. Thanks for referring me to the photo. Now I see what he meant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts