Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was traveling home on the freeway when a truck pulled along side me and pointed at my bike like somthing was wrong, so i pulled over to take a look . Immediately seen the right saddlebag missing. I had to back track 4 mi to locate the saddlebag. of course it was afu, but i was able to retrieve all the contents. Im not sure why the fasteners come out. Ive never had a problem with them disconnecting before and im positive they were securly installed the last time I reinstalled the bag. Anyone have this problem?

·
13,043 Posts
your not the first. Victory's use the worst locking pins ever.
Go to hardware store and buy two J nuts 5/16 size and get two bolts.
Pull off the stock pin clips and replace with the J clips.
Sorry now you will need a wrench to un bolt the two bolts but they will not come off and you don't need to do all four

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well this is good to know as I was looking to purchase a slightly used cross country next year to sit next to the Jackpot.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sucks but it happens. Always check to make sure the pins (dzus fasteners) are engaged because the d-ring tend to get snagged and rotate when you put things in / take things out of your bags.

BTW they've used pins just like these on HD bags for years and used the same type fasteners on aicraft panels for a lot longer. They are far from being "the worst locking pins ever" but they do have to be watched.

Replace at least one pin on each bag with a nut plate (J-nut) and a bolt and you'll never have to check them again.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sucks but it happens. Always check to make sure the pins (dzus fasteners) are engaged because the d-ring tend to get snagged and rotate when you put things in / take things out of your bags.

BTW they've used pins just like these on HD bags for years and used the same type fasteners on aicraft panels for a lot longer. They are far from being "the worst locking pins ever" but they do have to be watched.

Replace at least one pin on each bag with a nut plate (J-nut) and a bolt and you'll never have to check them again.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that our cross bikes don't vibrate near as much as a UH-60A/L does. The reason they don't come open on our aircraft very often is we check them before each flight.

I did however buy 2 nut plates and bolts at Lowes today. It's just too cheap of an Insurance policy if I do get careless and miss them on pre-flight.

To the OP, I'm sorry this happened to you, but the fasteners aren't junk. You very well may have had a couple bad ones, it happens. Just sucks for the person that gets the bad one.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The man has a good thing going and people are buying it. For @ $8.50, I bought the hardware and will secure the bags just as good as his kit.
I did the same, went to lowes and got the hardware to replace one pin on each saddlebag. Burkus may be nice but not $35 nice!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
havent had this problem yet, but will admit to 3 times of
going down the hiway with a winged bike[1 bag cover open].
you have to make sure they are fully latched. at least the
hinges are strong. so far it has been witnessed by my wife
and 2 harley riding friends. didnt hurt anything but my pride.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I had one fall off at 70 mph. found it and it was intact but scraped up. They warranted it. But the new one had square buckles instead of round I thought they should match. So they got me another new one to match. I shimmed the 1/4 turn with a 5/16 washer now they snap on like other brands I've had. I posted more details on here earlier .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry Xknight: Looks like I sent him the same product info, only from a different vendodr. Yours is cheaper.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My two cents ... Wrong type of fastener for the intended purpose. We don't need quick release fasteners, as we usually dont remove the bags for anything but cleaning or maintenance. (and the owner's manual and the stickers near the bags state the bike should never be operated without the bags... not sure why). Also, QR fasteners make stealing the whole bag a whole lot quicker if the bag is unlocked. I replaced mine with SS Allenheads within 2 weeks of owning the bike. (shortly after reading here about the possible horror of a $900 saddlebag bouncing down the highway) :(

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the hardware i needed at ACE hardware. cost was 6.00.

·
Registered
207 Posts
havent had this problem yet, but will admit to 3 times of
going down the hiway with a winged bike[1 bag cover open].
you have to make sure they are fully latched. at least the
hinges are strong. so far it has been witnessed by my wife
and 2 harley riding friends. didnt hurt anything but my pride.
This has happened to me as well but always when I was riding solo I still feel embarrassed as all hell when a cager pulls up and is pointing at my the back of my bike. I am pretty good at checking my locks every time I get on the bike now.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
This has happened to me as well but always when I was riding solo I still feel embarrassed as all hell when a cager pulls up and is pointing at my the back of my bike. I am pretty good at checking my locks every time I get on the bike now.
mine was solo as well.wife is good at keeping the lids down. 2
of the times were when she was following me home from the dealer.
99.5 % of the time we are 2 up.got to have someone to tell you
what you are doing wrong! now i always push down to hear the click.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hardbags can crack or get worn down, especially around the mounting holes. The metal of the machine expands, contracts and transfers vibration at a different rate than the bags. Bolted in creates an unrelieved point of contact between that metal and the bags. Load the bags up and the outboard weight exacerbates the issues. On a bike of recent manufacture bolting is not likely to promote a failure but over time it is.

If you opt to bolt the bags in then it's cheap insurance to have a plate or at least fender washers added to transfer the load to a bigger surface. Doesn't halt the effects but they will be shared by more real estate.

The other side of the coin is that the provided attachment system is bassackwards. If you do remove the bags, Pop does at least once a week, those pins offer no help to reassembly. I have yet to come to terms with the bike about an easy, foolproof way to place the bags and put the pins. Another failure in engineering to insure ease of use at the point where the device and the user interact.

Turn the thing around. Pins should mounted to the bag bracket and the bag would then slide onto the pins. A nylon fender washer contact cemented to the outside of the bags will minimize munging up the bags while finding the holes. Placing the bags onto the pins would create alignment and offer a visible, easy to mate connection point for a spring nut or tractor pin and sprung washer or whatever. Not rocket science and you have a fitment guide, an easy to attach connector, and a continued source of vibration isolation.

I have fasteners all over my bike and anybody that is interested in stealing Victory parts (really?) could just undo them and take stuff. I don't tend to worry about my bags since there is a lock between the scum and the pins which is a layer of protection that practically every other part on the motorcycle does not have. If a shitheel wants my bags and is ambitious enough to defeat the lid lock, then he has the moxie to deal with hardware. If he wants the stuff in the bags then he could care less about the bags and how they are mounted. My issue is ease of removal and install and paranoia that the bags may go bye bye at 90.

I am scared of paranoia.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hardbags can crack or get worn down, especially around the mounting holes. The metal of the machine expands, contracts and transfers vibration at a different rate than the bags. Bolted in creates an unrelieved point of contact between that metal and the bags. Load the bags up and the outboard weight exacerbates the issues. On a bike of recent manufacture bolting is not likely to promote a failure but over time it is.

If you opt to bolt the bags in then it's cheap insurance to have a plate or at least fender washers added to transfer the load to a bigger surface. Doesn't halt the effects but they will be shared by more real estate.

The other side of the coin is that the provided attachment system is bassackwards. If you do remove the bags, Pop does at least once a week, those pins offer no help to reassembly. I have yet to come to terms with the bike about an easy, foolproof way to place the bags and put the pins. Another failure in engineering to insure ease of use at the point where the device and the user interact.

Turn the thing around. Pins should mounted to the bag bracket and the bag would then slide onto the pins. A nylon fender washer contact cemented to the outside of the bags will minimize munging up the bags while finding the holes. Placing the bags onto the pins would create alignment and offer a visible, easy to mate connection point for a spring nut or tractor pin and sprung washer or whatever. Not rocket science and you have a fitment guide, an easy to attach connector, and a continued source of vibration isolation.

I have fasteners all over my bike and anybody that is interested in stealing Victory parts (really?) could just undo them and take stuff. I don't tend to worry about my bags since there is a lock between the scum and the pins which is a layer of protection that practically every other part on the motorcycle does not have. If a shitheel wants my bags and is ambitious enough to defeat the lid lock, then he has the moxie to deal with hardware. If he wants the stuff in the bags then he could care less about the bags and how they are mounted. My issue is ease of removal and install and paranoia that the bags may go bye bye at 90.

I am scared of paranoia.
there you go, people. dr pop has provided someone with an
opportunity to make some money. design a well enginereerd
pin mount for the rest of us to use that is reversed
to better help alignment. fame and fortune await.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
there you go, people. dr pop has provided someone with an
opportunity to make some money. design a well enginereerd
pin mount for the rest of us to use that is reversed
to better help alignment. fame and fortune await.
Just be sure the bolts are short and come equipped with a caps; otherwise, they may rip a few doodads that get shoved in and heaved out of the bags.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts