Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought hard bags for my CR when they were half price, and did the washer thing and elongated the holes in the latch so I wouldn't have the problem many have with wear. Well, after a couple thousand miles I saw the beginning of a notch anyway. So here's my fix, I think it should be a final repair for anyone with this problem. It's a U nut from Ace, about 50 cents. Make sure it has the full back...many have a cutout which wouldn't do. The screw is to keep it from shifting, and cut off to allow the mechanism to latch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I bought hard bags for my CR when they were half price, and did the washer thing and elongated the holes in the latch so I wouldn't have the problem many have with wear. Well, after a couple thousand miles I saw the beginning of a notch anyway. So here's my fix, I think it should be a final repair for anyone with this problem. It's a U nut from Ace, about 50 cents. Make sure it has the full back...many have a cutout which wouldn't do. The screw is to keep it from shifting, and cut off to allow the mechanism to latch.
Omg that's perfect.
Brilliant too.
Very nice. I love simple solutions !thumb up

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
That's a nice fix, take a file and round off the corners of the metal tab that way it won't scratch or cut you. Sorry , that's my Dad always telling me that over the years so when ever I see sharp corners I always think " round them off" :)

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
:I agree: Not a bad way of thinking at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I dig it! cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
Highvoltage,

Looks like this narrowback has been outdone! Cheaper and quicker, nicely done.
Right on Narrowback. I was a wireman too, before switching to Outside Line. Some of the guys still refer to me as "Switchback" lol.

Wiremen wire buildings…… Linemen wire Cities……. :D

Hud

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I had to try the binder clip trick posted by Highvoltagehand and I am here to tell you it is a PERFECT repair for the worn latch piece. I dug through my junk drawer until I found the "micro" size..."mini" was a bit too wide to fit. Removed the wings from the clip, slipped into place...INSTANT fix. It's like it was MADE for this precise application.

Use it along with the washer under the front mounting hole and your latch should last and last.

MTSIVIEW's idea is a good one, too.

Ingenuity gentlemen... I am jealous!cheers
cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had to try the binder clip trick posted by Highvoltagehand and I am here to tell you it is a PERFECT repair for the worn latch piece. I dug through my junk drawer until I found the "micro" size..."mini" was a bit too wide to fit. Removed the wings from the clip, slipped into place...INSTANT fix. It's like it was MADE for this precise application.

Use it along with the washer under the front mounting hole and your latch should last and last.

MTSIVIEW's idea is a good one, too.

Ingenuity gentlemen... I am jealous!cheers
cheers
Victory should be ashamed that the spring steel in a binder clip is probably stronger and will last longer than their response to this problem. Glad it wasn't anything major.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thumb upthumb up
cheers
Glad you guys figured this out. I'm going to throw the templates away I made for steel side plates and go buy a box of binder clips at Staples.
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thumb upthumb up
cheers
Glad you guys figured this out. I'm going to throw the templates away I made for steel side plates and go buy a box of binder clips at Staples.
Thanks
Right on "Joltin Joe Dimaggio". Run towards a cure and hopefully make a mint with the NEW templates in the process……cheers

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
First of all this is why I love this forum. Mtsiview and High Voltage I truly appreciate your thinking and willingness to share your discoveries with us. Both solutions are wonderful. I went with the High Voltage Paperclip method. Had to use a grinder to shave a couple of mm off. Fits perfect!! (see pics).

Thanks again gentleman!!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
You're not going to out cheap me and my paperclip fix. Snap on paperclip, then remove leverage tabs. Done. Washer worked fine for me, guess I just had something cheap to prove.:)
Simple, cheap, effective. Smallest raid on the office supply cabinet ever! cheers

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Stopped by my local Vic dealer this afternoon. Was telling him about the right bag latch repair that I did earlier this morning. On his desk was a shipment from Victory for the fix to our right bag latch problems... a new, improved, latch assembly replacement.

I asked if they were going to warranty the assembly, and was told that Victory said no. The price for this replacement assembly is twenty ($20) dollars.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I asked if they were going to warranty the assembly, and was told that Victory said no. The price for this replacement assembly is twenty ($20) dollars.
Seriously? That's crap. Yea, $20 ain't much, but I shouldn't have to pay anything for a defective piece or poor engineering...

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Broggry that is exactly how I feel about it. I told my dealer that Victory engineered a bad part, now has re-engineered a fix, but I have to pay for the fix and that doesn't seem right. Their response was that is why Victory is only charging $20 for this fix. I agree with you, Victory ought to replace all of them for free, not so much for the money ($20) but for the principle of the matter.

I think I am going to let the paper clip fix run its course for awhile.

Ride Safe!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts