Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look HC, even Harley is putting MRA shields on their bikes now. ;)

2015-Road-Glide-Blue.jpg

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have a Street Glide. The RG looks pretty much like an SG. Don't understand it

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than the frame mounted vs fork mounted fairing, there isn't much difference.
That and the Road Glide's fairing supposedly went through extensive wind tunnel testing to eliminate the turbulent airflow that causes buffeting. I hear even with the mail slot, the Street Glides still throw a lot of dirty air.

To Azdave, what there is to get is that you don't have a heavy fairing full of electronics mounted to the handlebars. Remember how you noted once, not too long ago, that of the three bikes you've had recently, the Vision was the best handling. Well, standard tire sizes and fairing free forks go a long way to explaining why.

The Road Glide is the Vision of the Harley family. It gets compared to the robot while the Vision gets compared to the clown. In both cases, they are the best of the breed. You get all the gizmos ya like with none of the fork weight or wind induced instability of fork mounted setups.

I've always preferred the Road King as the fairings of Road Glides past have always been criticized for their poor performance. If they got it right this time, I think it'd be awesome. I don't like nor want a bike with lowers. And I don't want a bike that I have to look thru a windshield. If this thing keeps the windblast off your chest without turning the rider into a Bobblehead at 80 mph, I think they got a winner on their hands.

But speaking of hands, those idiotic tiller handlebars gotta go.

roadglide_gallery__0034_4.jpg

web_tiller_bcs_america_710_ps_061510.jpg

·
Registered
837 Posts
Any frame mounted fairing is going to give a better ride than a fork mount. Imagine a grimlin beating the forks with sledge hammers while you are riding and you have the idea. The batwing was a design from decades ago and HD has refused to update it and everybody else chooses to copy it even though it is outdated!!! Hard to believe--right??? :rolleyes: They try to lift the front end up at speed. Harleys batwing has always had problems of breaking the left brace. Ever wonder why? Not that hard to figure out.

·
13,235 Posts
Guess the h-d designers don't work very hard. You could of made all the changes they did in a weeks time.

The only smart think they did was add linked breaks I wounder why they didn't do that to all the baggers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess the h-d designers don't work very hard. You could of made all the changes they did in a weeks time.

The only smart think they did was add linked breaks I wounder why they didn't do that to all the baggers
To keep their middle aged rebels from relying on their rear brake and ending up in the morgue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That and the Road Glide's fairing supposedly went through extensive wind tunnel testing to eliminate the turbulent airflow that causes buffeting. I hear even with the mail slot, the Street Glides still throw a lot of dirty air.

To Azdave, what there is to get is that you don't have a heavy fairing full of electronics mounted to the handlebars. Remember how you noted once, not too long ago, that of the three bikes you've had recently, the Vision was the best handling. Well, standard tire sizes and fairing free forks go a long way to explaining why.

The Road Glide is the Vision of the Harley family. It gets compared to the robot while the Vision gets compared to the clown. In both cases, they are the best of the breed. You get all the gizmos ya like with none of the fork weight or wind induced instability of fork mounted setups.

I've always preferred the Road King as the fairings of Road Glides past have always been criticized for their poor performance. If they got it right this time, I think it'd be awesome. I don't like nor want a bike with lowers. And I don't want a bike that I have to look thru a windshield. If this thing keeps the windblast off your chest without turning the rider into a Bobblehead at 80 mph, I think they got a winner on their hands.

But speaking of hands, those idiotic tiller handlebars gotta go.

View attachment 89721

View attachment 89729
I put over 2,600 miles in a week out west on a '14 street glide earlier this year. It had that fancy slit thingy in the fairing to help with buffeting. It worked slightly, but it definitely still buffeted. After extended 80 mph riding, when slowing down my head felt numb from the constant buffeting. I had to sit a certain way to minimize it but it was there nonetheless. Never rode a bike with a frame mounted fairing. But I certainty won't buy a fork mounted one ever.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
It's ok. When the Shark first came out it had the same reaction as the Vision. You either liked it or didn't. Not a lot of in between. Then people started buying them then realizing they had a better ride for long distance and the word spread. By then people were getting used to the look and gave it another chance. It does have a certain following much like the Goldwing, BMW, and Vision.

I'd like to see adjustable floor boards and an electric windshield; especially on the touring model. It has a nice profile but not the windshield height I would want/need. I would have to try the new handlebars before saying I like them or not. I do like the new dash layout much better. Never did care for the old one. It has the 103 so the power should be adequate. For $1500 you could slap the EPA out of it and change the muffs for a decent sound.

Cyril has a good write-up on it. http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2014/08/01/harley-davidson-previewing-the-new-2015-road-glide-and-road-glide-special-in-sturgis/#more-137980

·
Registered
209 Posts

What a stupid statement. A week to design a completely new fairing. Victory had how many years to design a 6 speed transmissions? 1st time - change oil every 2500 miles. Real great tranny. Next change oil every 5000 miles. Still not a very good transmission. 3rd time the charm? Let's hope so.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I put over 2,600 miles in a week out west on a '14 street glide earlier this year. It had that fancy slit thingy in the fairing to help with buffeting. It worked slightly, but it definitely still buffeted. After extended 80 mph riding, when slowing down my head felt numb from the constant buffeting. I had to sit a certain way to minimize it but it was there nonetheless. Never rode a bike with a frame mounted fairing. But I certainty won't buy a fork mounted one ever.
Shisno, If you rode my XC you would see a difference compared to the glides. Thus the reason I bought it. With a simple windshield change and custom lowers for my Forged bars I can ride all day with no fatigue. No buffeting at all. At 5'8" I found the right combination for me.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I always liked the road glide, almost bought one. I think Vic is a better value for sure.. But that pic with the frontal view... Bender??? Ha... More Ammo for my HD buddy's,,

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shisno, If you rode my XC you would see a difference compared to the glides. Thus the reason I bought it. With a simple windshield change and custom lowers for my Forged bars I can ride all day with no fatigue. No buffeting at all. At 5'8" I found the right combination for me.
Actually it wasn't the buffeting that killed my interest in fork mounted fairings, it was the heavy and sluggish feel of the handlebars with all that weight on them. Hated the low speed handling and really hurt my ability to slow race well (I love slow racing and as much as I can). Also, and I'm just guessing this is a Harley thing, the but fairing didn't feel secure on the forks. As you would wobble the handlebars left and right slow racing, the fairing felt disconnected and not tight. It would shake around a bit.

I can deal with the buffeting because even with it, it was still easier to ride long distance than fighting the wind the entire time. I'm still open to a frame mounted fairing like the vision or road glide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts