Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I road into NYC to the HD dealership on Broadway and White St. HD is having test rides on the new electric prototype motorcycle. I didn't know if I was going to be able to get on the test ride list but I said what the f u c K ....

I got there at 10 am and found one of the guys in charge, Told him I need to ride the bike asap...He did the right thing and an hour and a half later I was on my way to riding it...

Signed my life away, took a ride on the bike that was on a demo stand and watched the safety video...then it was on the bike for my ride.

They took us out on a group of 5 with a leader and a follower...I got on the last bike...granted the ride was in traffic and only a few miles but it was AWSOME! !

The bike accelerates very quickly, stops very fast and handles the bumps well.

I hung back from the group several times and went WOT...it hauls a s s! You would not believe how fast it accelerates.

It was a great experience and highly recommended it if they come to your town

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...The bike accelerates very quickly, stops very fast and handles the bumps well.

I hung back from the group several times and went WOT...it hauls a s s! You would not believe how fast it accelerates...
Yeah, because electric basically gives you instant maximum torque. But with a range of only 53 miles, and having to stop and charge for about 3.5 hours is somewhat ridiculous.

If you had one, where would you ride it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the prototype represents a new market segment rather than a production model. Yes they may put it into production but it hopefully will put more pressure to develop better battery technology

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Then I'll just run a plug from my office lol

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yeah, because electric basically gives you instant maximum torque. But with a range of only 53 miles, and having to stop and charge for about 3.5 hours is somewhat ridiculous.

If you had one, where would you ride it?

The right manufacture made it. I mean it is a perfect bar hopper,
isn't that what most hd riders do, or it is also a perfect garage queen.:rolleyes: (befor I get lambasted for being a harley hater, I was just kidding) :cool: :ltr::ltr:

·
13,002 Posts
Face the facts once they come up with a long lasting battery were all riding dinosaurs.

To think you will never stop for gas againthumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
The right manufacture made it. I mean it is a perfect bar hopper,
isn't that what most hd riders do, or it is also a perfect garage queen.:rolleyes: (befor I get lambasted for being a harley hater, I was just kidding) :cool: :ltr::ltr:
It'll never be a barhopper. You can't even rev the engine 5 seconds after you start it!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Face the facts once they come up with a long lasting battery were all riding dinosaurs.

No, just for a extension cord that hooks up to a coal powered power plant to to charge between what ever the range is. More than once I have went from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles in a long days ride. So when they get the range to 1000 miles and can convince me that it uses or puts less pollution in the atmosphere than a 50 MPG bike I may be interested. Before you say that we use natural gas to produce the electricity in the power plant, would it not be more efficient to just convert the gas engine to LPG?? Or is that to simple for some to understand? thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The right manufacture made it...
Yeah, had it not been for HD's legendary reliability, few would be able to fully trust this relatively new technology. :D

That's what I love about gas: I can stop when I need it, almost anywhere I need it, top off, and get back to riding. If you're expected to take a 3.5 hour charging break every 50 miles, I might as well ride a donkey and get further, faster, greener.

Also, I plug my phone in every night to charge it, but sometimes I forget, and in the morning I have a dead battery. I can only imagine how happy I would be in the morning, rushing to go to work, to find my bike discharged because I forgot to plug it in the night before.

·
Registered
450 Posts
MRMAXX,

I'm glad you enjoyed the demo. I'd venture a guess that the range will be significantly increased before they bring it to market. If they bring it to market. From what I've read, they are simply trying to feel the waters to see if there is a real market for an electric bike. I doubt that I would ever buy one but fully support the free market. If they decide to move forward with this project, I hope it goes well.

I don't remember for sure and it may have already come up, but doesn't Polaris own a large part of an electric vehicle company?

·
Banned
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MRMAXX,

I'm glad you enjoyed the demo. I'd venture a guess that the range will be significantly increased before they bring it to market. If they bring it to market. From what I've read, they are simply trying to feel the waters to see if there is a real market for an electric bike. I doubt that I would ever buy one but fully support the free market. If they decide to move forward with this project, I hope it goes well.

I don't remember for sure and it may have already come up, but doesn't Polaris own a large part of an electric vehicle company?
Thank you...it was a once in a life time experience...great event in the heart of NYC....

I think you hit the nail on the head. . .doubt this bike is going to be for sale...but something along the lines of a "cruiser" with more range. This was a sport bike in size and style, about 460 pounds, has two settings, sport and economy, I think they said it had 80 mile range in sport and 130 in economy. Takes 10 hours to fully charge on 110, less on 220 and even less on 440.

Regardless if you like HD, electric vehicles/motorcycles are the wave of the future....

·
Registered
355 Posts
the article I read said 120 miles and 60-90 minute charge time.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts