Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some suggested thing to carry along for road trips,rally,long dist rides. maint items etc besides the obvious cloths and things. i already carry some tools,air compressor,i use ride on and carry plugs,jumper cables and i recently added a small jump starter for bikes. spare day/night shades.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I make sure to take some light pain medication, older I get the more often my lower back acts up. Sunscreen and sunglasses are important to me as well since I have had skin cancer removed in a couple of places this past year.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Where do you carry BEER?

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Where do you carry BEER?
Half fill yr saddlebags with ice and fill with beer.
Should be able to fit a few dozen in those big bags.
Aussies know best.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I assume since you are carrying a small compressor you also have a tire plug kit?

I highly recommend chapstick and anti-monkey butt powder.
Extra sunglasses and riding gloves, sunscreen. If you are riding in the heat, a microfiber neck gaiter/mask is amazing if you get it wet and put on. The wind evaporates the water and cools you amazingly well .

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Half fill yr saddlebags with ice and fill with beer.
Should be able to fit a few dozen in those big bags.
Aussies know best.
Left saddle bag is dedicated to beer. :wink

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would hope a cellphone is one of those items and also a flashlight. I also carry an extra large heavy duty garbage bag with me, as silly as it sounds they make the best rain gear (just cut a hole in the top and a hole for each arm) it takes up no room at all when bag space is at a premium.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shouldnt be drinking and riding a bike. why do so many ride a bike and drink beer. you wonder why some bikers get a bad rap.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
always have a cell phone anyways,and i have frogg togg gear.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my every day carry includes tools,compressor,tire plugs etc. i also use ride on tire sealent/balancer.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I would hope a cellphone is one of those items and also a flashlight. I also carry an extra large heavy duty garbage bag with me, as silly as it sounds they make the best rain gear (just cut a hole in the top and a hole for each arm) it takes up no room at all when bag space is at a premium.
Yeah the garbage bag makes great wet weather gear for sure!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i do get a few pains here and there. thanks for suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Toilet paper, siphoning hose, especially riding in a group. Cash, rain gear. I carry a short piece of cable with small cable clamps. This is for clutch cable repair. It works, it got 250 miles to the house a few years ago. The clutch cable broke at the bottom ferrule. Right in front of a bar. With a ace hardware store in walking distance. Yes I was extremely LUCKY. Wrapped the cable around the clutch arm and clamped it to the clutch cable. Then had a burger and a couple of cocktails at the bar and headed home. If it brakes at the top ferrule, pull the cable out and thread it back through the opposite way. I keep it in the tool bag now. You can buy a save-ur-ride cable also. That's one of the great things about a Victory. They are easy to do on the side of the road repairs. Including a drive belt replacement. That's why I hate Harleys. They are not.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
+ Take half the clothes and twice the money--no joke.
+ Pack like a hiker and roll up everything real tight, using rubber bands to hold them. That takes less space.
+ No bulky (padded) jackets, instead, take clothing for layering, such as sweatshirts, long sleeve T-shirts and the like.
+ I always have a layer under my riding pants; at least a pair of longies. They make for more comfort and insulation from engine heat.
+ If it's going to be hot, get Cycle Gear's Heat-Out underliners - they work!
+ Pack for any weather, no matter what it is when you start out. That's what we have to do out west, because of marine air effects and altitude changes.
+ Take antihistamine for bee stings.
+ To empathize a previous recommendation: take chap stick or lip balm. I have one in every riding jacket so I won't be without it.
+ Water - and drink a lot of it. Glad to hear you don't drink and ride for two reasons; 1. It clouds judgement and 2. It dehydrates the body.
+ Walking shoes for apre riding.
And a word to the wise; no exposed skin - that will dehydrate you quickly, give you sun burn and skin cancers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i do carry the paper products, as i go im making a list. thanks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i agree, no more than really needed for cloths. some truck stops have washers and dryers.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My buddies say that I am the master of preparation...of course that leads to jokes, but when they need something it is likely that I have it or can make it. On long trips I carry a spare clutch cable and a universal wire with some various sized adjustable screw stop ferrules to get by in a pinch. When you are a hundred miles from nowhere crappy throttle response is better than none or waiting on a wrecker.

·
12,983 Posts
Any day you ride with out a helmet make sure you put sunscreen on your ears and behind them.
Zip ties and if you work on your bike in the garage think if that tool would help you on the road. If you carie a tire plug kit and its time for a new tire poke a hole in tire and then try to plug it. Then you'll know what you have to go threw on the road. I have a pair of glove I picked up at a jet sky shop for rain riding. Haven't used them yet. When you get your license tabs put the reseat in your bag some cops can be pricks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i plan on ordering a few spare cables along with some fuses and a relay or 2.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i already carry zip ties,tire plugs,compressor. i hadnt thought about a receiet for the trailer. it is a home made by a previous individual. an extra spare tire for trailer would be good to.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts