Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, myself and two of my friends rode from South Carolina to Barber Motorsports Park/ Motorcycle Museum. I just recently purchased a Boardwalk and thought that this would be a good trip to test its highway manners. I thought that I would post a few pics of the museum for those who have not been. We went on the guided tour and they said that 99% of the motorcycles on display will run with prep in about an hour.

All I have to say is if you like motorcycles, then this place is the Mecca of all that is motorcycle.

Full album of photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/111636222181251011990/BarberMotorsports42016?feat=directlink

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Love it !thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was an awesome place to visit that is for sure!
Oh man , I wish I could get there in the near future .... Looks fantastic . Glad you guys had a great time !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man , I wish I could get there in the near future .... Looks fantastic . Glad you guys had a great time !
If you do get by there, my advice is to plan to stay awhile. We did the guided tour and it hit the high points, but I could have stayed for at least another couple of hours. We just ran out of time.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Whauwwwww love the pictures, that is some amazing place .... Thanks for posting these great pictures & view of the museum ..

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Is it bad that I live roughly a hour from there and still haven't visited?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Chris,
I furtively looked through your galley to see if you posted my first bike, a Simplex Servi-Cycle, and my all time heart throb bike, the Morbidelli with the Ferrari designed V-8. You got the latter and skipped the former, so I'll do it for you. BTW, the Barber is the only place I have seen a Servi-Cycle and they have two. One one the floor and the other hanging in the atrium.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris,

I furtively looked through your galley to see if you posted my first bike, a Simplex Servi-Cycle, and my all time heart throb bike, the Morbidelli with the Ferrari designed V-8. You got the latter and skipped the former, so I'll do it for you. BTW, the Barber is the only place I have seen a Servi-Cycle and they have two. One one the floor and the other hanging in the atrium.

Nice! I am planning on going back to spend more time reading up on all the bikes. There were so many unique motorcycles there, I'm sure I missed more than a few. They even had one of the jet powered motorcycles like Jay Leno owns. I never thought I would see one of those in person!
ImageUploadedByMO Free1459908174.734000.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Is it bad that I live roughly a hour from there and still haven't visited?
Bad?!? That is outright criminal. Turn in your MC endorsement and give your bike(s) to someone more deserving. Now! :devil

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I hope to get down there this year. The Wheels Through Time museum is a few hours from me in Maggie Valley and I've went through it twice now. Both times got to see the owner pull out a bike, prep and fire it up and go riding on it. Very cool.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
mrchristopher2 and TNXR you wet my whistle to see those motorcycle museums....Both are too far to pop into on my trip next month but I can already see a route coming together that puts both of them in one trip :grin

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Back in April 2013, my buddy Ken and I rode from Albany, NY, to Austin, TX. The end point of the trip was the inaugural MotoGP race at the new Circuit of the Americas, but the route was planned to take us to Barber.

We overnighted at a nearby motel, so we could get to the museum shortly after it opened in the morning, and then spent four or five hours there (and headed west). Yep, that's not enough time there -- an amazing place.

I have 500+ pics in a sub-gallery, here:

Barber Motorsports Museum, April, 2013

(And some of the presentations there, with the stacked bikes, look like you're looking at somebody's Matchbox toy collection, if you weren't right there, for scale.)

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Pretty wife and I got there shortly after opening time and at closing time, they had to scoot us out the door so the employees could punch out and go home for the evening. Definitely plan for most, if not all of a day at the Barber.
BTW, the back of the museum is glass and has a view of the road race course, so if there's an event going on, you get a two-for-one.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Pretty wife and I got there shortly after opening time and at closing time, they had to scoot us out the door so the employees could punch out and go home for the evening. Definitely plan for most, if not all of a day at the Barber.
BTW, the back of the museum is glass and has a view of the road race course, so if there's an event going on, you get a two-for-one.
Yeah, there was a Ducati club (from S. Carolina, as I recall) doing a track day when I visited. Among the 500 pics (see earlier post), I have some showing the museum windows and the bikes on track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

We went on the guided tour and were able to go out on the bridge that crosses the race track from the back of the museum. Cool thing was that the bridge had a section of glass that you could look at the cars as they went underneath

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts