1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have 22,000 on mine and it looks just fine. How does the rest of the painted surfaces look that face forward?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Wow Vin , thats extreme for a fairly new bike .... That is shitty to happen IMO .

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
That seems odd Vin... I have only 20,000km on my bike but we have a lot more gravel on our roads than you do on yours. I don't see any rock chips on my forks.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Mine are staring to look like that too. It sucks. Neither my Kingpin or XR had that problem. It seems maybe it is something to do with the black finish. You and I both know being machinists that you probably have to remove, disassemble, and have them powder coated to fix it. or maybe hard anodize?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow man, you follow way to close to other vehicles if yours is looking like that already. I have had my bike 3 years and 7500 miles (yeah I know, I dont get out and ride near as much as I would like) and looks nothing like that.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ...

say that real fast and see how long it takes to screw up the words! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Wow man, you follow way to close to other vehicles if yours is looking like that already. I have had my bike 3 years and 7500 miles (yeah I know, I dont get out and ride near as much as I would like) and looks nothing like that.

Well that was kind of a dick thing to say.... Maybe Vin is an ex racer and is used to following close. Maybe your a shitty rider and that's why you can't follow close? That last sentence I don't mean... It's just you come on judging a guy who is just looking for some insight about his rock chipped forks. I am not picking on you just pointing out that a little tact can go a long ways. Carry on now.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
You don't have to follow too close here in Phoenix to get hit with rocks. We aren't riding on 2 lane roads with scarce traffic. We have 3 and 4 lanes full of traffic and going 60-85 mph. You get rock chips. You also get a cracked windshield on your car every once in awhile. I also know Vindex, and neither he nor I tailgate or drive like assholes as a rule. If you don't ride relatively safe here, you will pay for it sooner or later.

·
Registered
328 Posts
When do you plan on changing the fork oil? When you have the forks off you can do a light sand, repaint black then a bunch of clear coats. Or that 3M plastic spray VJ posted. I think if you did those covers you'll be in the same spot in another 15k.

Were your Vegas or Harley forks black or silver?

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine are staring to look like that too. It sucks. Neither my Kingpin or XR had that problem. It seems maybe it is something to do with the black finish. You and I both know being machinists that you probably have to remove, disassemble, and have them powder coated to fix it. or maybe hard anodize?
Agreed and I really don't wnt to do any of that because of the bike being down for that long.

Not in a miles competition but I've ridden 19,000 miles in 10 months and it's not stop light to stop light I get out and put down miles. Like Tarzan said we live in a place that's 4-6 lanes wide up to 80 mph and I ride daily back and forth to work 50 miles round trip and just finished a 2120 mile ride. I rode in four months what took you two years so if you don't have an idea (and you didn't) then your comments were a jab towards me not an idea to help.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 22,000 on mine and it looks just fine. How does the rest of the painted surfaces look that face forward?
The fronts of my bags had started to chip until I added the fork deflectors.

napa sells it and advance auto parts. This stuff really works.
good for the front of your bags too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qTAUpEszM
That is for sure a thought

Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ... Rock Chipped Shocks ...

say that real fast and see how long it takes to screw up the words! LOL
:grin

Well that was kind of a dick thing to say.... Maybe Vin is an ex racer and is used to following close. Maybe your a shitty rider and that's why you can't follow close? That last sentence I don't mean... It's just you come on judging a guy who is just looking for some insight about his rock chipped forks. I am not picking on you just pointing out that a little tact can go a long ways. Carry on now.
Yep

When do you plan on changing the fork oil? When you have the forks off you can do a light sand, repaint black then a bunch of clear coats. Or that 3M plastic spray VJ posted. I think if you did those covers you'll be in the same spot in another 15k.

Were your Vegas or Harley forks black or silver?
They were silver so it didn't show but my Vegas had chips on the fork tubes I had to stone down because they ruined the fork seals.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
It has to be the highways you all ride on. Lots of little rocks flying around all the time. I bet all the low sitting cars with painted front bumpers look the same if they drive on the same roads you do.

Yeah. I have to agree the best way to fix it and apply a long lasting powder coat finish would require the forks to come apart if that's the look you're going for.

Seems like I saw a cover for these somewhere recently. I think it was chrome but you could media blast it and have it powder coated. It would certainly make the job easier and quicker plus you could do it over and over again as needed without ever taking the bike off the road to repair it.

I'd even consider Plasti-coating the covers. Less expensive and you can do it yourself. Might even keep the chips from showing up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine have a bunch of paint chips in the same place too and I don't really tailgate people.

Like one of the other posters said, I'll wait until I take them off to replace the fork oil and paint them then.

I appears Ma Vic didn't use very good paint, or whomever makes them?

Might look cool if you color match painted them?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The front of my bags are badly chipped as well... I kind of like it as it will give me an excuse to paint my bike flat white, airbrush the bags and rear fender.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The front fork on my RSV looked pretty bad too. Just a fact of riding I guess. I would certainly say it is road conditions at fault. That there spray on stuff looks like a good idea. I did put the film on my bags and tank. But I'm thinking the fairing is going to get whacked pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
Vin, you're obviously riding too much,:wink
I have the same problem,
You should see where all the clearcoat is chipped and peeling on my lower forks and triple trees.
I'm thinking of pulling my front end down while the bikes in the shop for the gearbox repairs.
Depending on what gearbox parts are needed and how long they'll take to get out here, I may have enough time to strip the rest of the shitty clear off and get all the parts highly polished like they are on Jackpots.
Once they're shiny they'll be easier to keep shiny.
Painted parts on the front of a motorcycle are gonna cop ****,
powder coated parts would be more durable but cost more to manufacture and that'd put the price of the bikes up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some of you really need to grow thicker skin and remember, with text, you may not always get the "tone" of someones response.
I apologize for not throwing in the little smiley face :eek to let you know it was said facetiously :ltr:. Grow up and realize not everything is an attack on any of your baby soft feelings. After the last thread some of you acted like children in, I would have thought maybe you would have figured it out.

Little background education for some of you, I lived in So. Cal years ago (after I rode my Suzuki GS550 from Virginia Beach, Va. to Los Angeles, up to Portland Oregon and back to San Diego, took about 7 or 8 days total) and rode that same cycle everyday to and from school (college), 2 and a half hours one way through some of the thickest, crappiest traffic in this country (LA). I am familiar with riding on gravel, black top, concrete, snow, ice, and just about any other environment you can imagine. I put more miles on a Suzuki GS 550 in one year, back in the 80's then some of you do in 5, but that's neither here nor there, now . I don't ride as much anymore because, I do not have the time. So to imply I know nothing about what any of you may have to deal with (as far as riding), is simply uneducated, immature and an "ASSUMPTION", you know what they say about that, don't you?.
Hows that for being a "dick", Dick?

Want a suggestion for rock chip problems? Fine.

Don't ride or drive ANYTHING. Stay home, hide in the basement or closet or whatever and don't go out side.:rolleyes: It's a BIG, SCARY, FRIGHTENING world out there. Wouldn't want anything to "hurt your feeelings" or scratch your bike. Otherwise, what Vinny suggested is about the best bet on the market for "protecting" painted surfaces but the truth is, rock chips are just a part of operating a motor vehicle.cheers

BTW, as I do occasionally, I include this disclaimer.... IT'S MY FUKIN OPINION OR THOUGHT, you don't like it, to bad, stick it I don't really care. You will NOT pull your group bullying bull$h!t on me.

Now, have a "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy day" :devil

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I find 18 wheelers , dump trucks and landscaping vehicles the worst to be behind . I have dropped my speed way down and/or blasted over 100 to keep from being behind one of these trucks . They are by far the biggest chip offenders , new pavement is bad too as the little "Fragments" of hot top are sticky and fly over the road like bullets . This is just my opinion , I don't dislike anybody that owns or drives one of these vehicles , or is a highway paver . :nanana:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts