Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all from Obi Obi, Australia.
I'm about to pull out my rear suspension rocker pivot to grease it again, 5th time in 103000 kms.
I'm going to drill and tap for a grease nipple.
I've seen a few references to putting the nipple in the bottom of the rocker arm, but is there enough metal on the rocker to screw a nipple in to full depth of it's threads with out having to file it down on the inside of the rocker?

I am wondering if anyone has drilled down the axis of the pivot shaft, then crossdrilled to intersect the axial hole for grease galleries in between the 2 needle rollers, and put the nipple in the rear end of the pivot shaft where it is easy to access, and will also give something extra to pull on when shaft removal is necessary to renew needle bearings and seals?

I have a box of 5mm tapered thread grease nipples.
Any one tried it this way?

Cheers, Steve.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
G'day all from Obi Obi, Australia.

I'm about to pull out my rear suspension rocker pivot to grease it again, 5th time in 103000 kms.

I'm going to drill and tap for a grease nipple.

I've seen a few references to putting the nipple in the bottom of the rocker arm, but is there enough metal on the rocker to screw a nipple in to full depth of it's threads with out having to file it down on the inside of the rocker?

I am wondering if anyone has drilled down the axis of the pivot shaft, then crossdrilled to intersect the axial hole for grease galleries in between the 2 needle rollers, and put the nipple in the rear end of the pivot shaft where it is easy to access, and will also give something extra to pull on when shaft removal is necessary to renew needle bearings and seals?

I have a box of 5mm tapered thread grease nipples.

Any one tried it this way?

Cheers, Steve.
Yes there are pictures and whole writeup for this sublect, the grease nipple has to be on a slight angle due to access, many have done this mod, someone will find the thread and post a link to read all the info,

I think the shaft drilling you can even connect a hose to it,

Also your rear shock can use a hose extension and pressure gauge ...

There are nice mods to do ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
My mistake, i thought you were talking about Cross bikes

Wait, a hardball, you pull that pin of your rear shock top or bottom ?

I never do that on my jackpot ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Andre, thanks for the reply. Basically its a Cross bike, so the top of the shock goes on left side or rocker arm, link down to swing arm on right side, pivot shaft in the middle.
I would regard putting the grease nipple in the end of the pivot shaft as the more elegant solution, but a bit more work, needing more precision with the drilling.
My box of 5mm grease nipples has straights, 45 degree and 90 degree ones.
Undecided which way to go at the moment.

Cheers, Steve

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Hi Andre, thanks for the reply. Basically its a Cross bike, so the top of the shock goes on left side or rocker arm, link down to swing arm on right side, pivot shaft in the middle.

I would regard putting the grease nipple in the end of the pivot shaft as the more elegant solution, but a bit more work, needing more precision with the drilling.

My box of 5mm grease nipples has straights, 45 degree and 90 degree ones.

Undecided which way to go at the moment.

Cheers, Steve
@RICZ & @Visionjohny did this mod, so they can find the link to

1 grease nipple zerk
2 pressure gauge mod

I had a Cross Country Tour but did not do any of these mods, i was too busy rebuilding my Jack-hammer

Can you post a picture of your bike ? It is so easy to work on these bikes it is unbeleveble

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Guilty as charged! I have done both the zerk and the rear shock air hose extension. First some tips about zerking the rocker, which is far easier than messing with the shaft....
+ Since you will be greasing the rocker when doing oil changes (as I do) with the bike on the floor, center punch a mark on the rocker with the bike on the floor. Reason being, if you remove the rocker without doing that, chances are, you are going to have the zerk at an incorrect angle.
+ It's best to disassemble the suspension so you have the rocket out, because you are not only going to drill and tap for the zerk, you are going to drill a small air breather hole at the top of it. One member didn't do that and pushed the seals out when greasing and had to disassemble it again.
+ Another reason it's better to have the rocker out is controlling where the metal shavings go. You don't want 'em to go inside.
+ A straight zerk will do the job.
We'll discuss the shock air hose extension later. Let me know when.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Nice write-up Ricz .....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi fellas, thanks for the help. Once I had the "Doh!" moment and remembered that grease nipples often get called zerc (k?) fittings on the other side of the Pacific, I found a couple of relevant threads that you both had contributed to, with great photos, so now its done.
It actually wasn't the needle rollers squeaking this time, but the spherical joint on top of the shock, but while it was all apart..........
I went for the nipple in the rocker; I was initially thinking of the shaft end so pulled out a good centre punch and a 20 oz ballpeen hammer. One slight scuff in the pin and a mashed punch tip. I must have one of the hard ones. You could do it, but would need more gear than I have, might be best done in a lathe to get the drill speed right down.
The marks from the needle rollers can't be felt on the shaft surface, so not too much wear yet, 103,000 kms.
I also must have one of the tight tolerance frames, because it is very difficult to extract the rocker shaft. Lubricate liberally with penetrating oil, grip with vicegrips, rotate and attempt to pry the grips back without popping them off the shaft. Generally takes me about half an hour to extract each time I have done it. I assemble it with a nickel based antisieze too.
That was one of the reasons I wanted the nipple in the end of the shaft, so I had a nice 6mm hole to put an extractor in.
I lost about 15 ml of oil from the shock, didn't screw the valve back in immediately after deflating it, but it still seems to function fine. Won't make that mistake again.
I also thought of putting the nipple in the top of the rocker, and drilling a small access hole down through the frame, somebody on one of the threads said Visions have a hole there, but there is a rib on the underneath of the frame right there that I figure must be there for a purpose.
Thanks again fella's, problem solved, also had some interesting and varied reading in the threads.
It was 34 degrees C here yesterday, about 94 F, so I worked outside the shed in the shade. Happy New Year.

Cheers, Steve.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Now it is time to think about your rear shock pressure gauge in your sadle bag

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts