Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up my amp install and thought I would share. I used a fosgate pbr300x4 amp. Fosgate 6.5 inch speakers in the fairing. Fosgate 5.25. Inch in the trunk. The amp is mounted with a bracket from V-Twin audio. The speakers are mounted with adapters from V-twin audio. The amp mounting bracket is really easy to install. I highly recommend it. I soldered and heat shrank all connections.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1372719726.017136.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372719784.800867.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372719811.184158.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372719845.284146.jpg

This thing sounds great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Looks good and professional. Please tell us your thoughts on how it all sounds. Did you have to modify the trunk to fit the RF speakers?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very happy with the sound. It has more depth to it. At high volume you can hear all the details of the music. Before it was just loud and would get all distorted. I also am able to turn the bass all the way up. Before it sounded awful with the bass turned up.

I did have to modify the speakers and the trunk to fit the speakers. I first tried to fit 6.5 fosgate speakers and that did not work. So then I got the 5.25 and while the mounting points are the same. Everything else about the speaker is bigger. The mounting flang is thicker the magnet in bigger. Their are extra ears on the speakers I had to cut off. I also had to trim out the surround. I'll try to get some pictures of the rear speakers. The rear was not plug and play.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pictures of the trunk speakers. ImageUploadedByMO Free1372805639.474459.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372805664.102988.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372805694.153216.jpg

I also used a heat gun to soften the plastic a bit. So the speaker would fit flush against the mounting points. It wasn't hard it just took some time to get it right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very nice set up. Looking to buy that mounting plate as well. Plan to use a different amp though. Would you happen to know the actual dimensions of the recessed portion the amp can bolt to. Would help me figure out which amp I am going to try. If not I will figure it out and your install looks great. Enjoy the rewards of your hard work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice set up. Looking to buy that mounting plate as well. Plan to use a different amp though. Would you happen to know the actual dimensions of the recessed portion the amp can bolt to. Would help me figure out which amp I am going to try. If not I will figure it out and your install looks great. Enjoy the rewards of your hard work.
I don't know exactly how much it recesses in. I guess it is about a half inch. It's a great bracket. You can make one pretty easy but for me it was worth the money to just bolt it on. The only think you need to do is drill one quarter inch hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jchris

Thanks but I was hoping you had the overall dimensions of the mounting surface part of the bracket, not just depth. I am trying to get that info from the company that sells that bracket but they think if they tell me I am just going to make my own. Which I could do if I wanted like other members have but didn't intend to. Just need info to help me decide on amp.

Anrman

There are a bunch of compact amps with auto turn on out there. Kicker, Kenwood, even off brands like Crunch, etc... I may go with one that has a remote lead though, really increases options especially once I can pinpoint the largest dimensions able to fit in that gap behind fairing. Right now leaning toward a Kenwood, has built in cooling fans, auto turn on, and I have always had good luck with Kenwood amps in past. Is 60 x 4 rms @ 4ohm and should power the Kicker 5 1/4's perfectly as I do not plan to replace them at this time. There are other options like the Lanzar Mariner Marine amp that is 80 x 4 rms @ 4ohm and very small but that one requires a remote lead and like any amp I am concerned about overheating a bit. Kenwood has dual cooling fans for just a little bit of piece of mind so to speak. Still researching at this point.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jchris

Thanks but I was hoping you had the overall dimensions of the mounting surface part of the bracket, not just depth. I am trying to get that info from the company that sells that bracket but they think if they tell me I am just going to make my own. Which I could do if I wanted like other members have but didn't intend to. Just need info to help me decide on amp.

Anrman

There are a bunch of compact amps with auto turn on out there. Kicker, Kenwood, even off brands like Crunch, etc... I may go with one that has a remote lead though, really increases options especially once I can pinpoint the largest dimensions able to fit in that gap behind fairing. Right now leaning toward a Kenwood, has built in cooling fans, auto turn on, and I have always had good luck with Kenwood amps in past. Is 60 x 4 rms @ 4ohm and should power the Kicker 5 1/4's perfectly as I do not plan to replace them at this time. There are other options like the Lanzar Mariner Marine amp that is 80 x 4 rms @ 4ohm and very small but that one requires a remote lead and like any amp I am concerned about overheating a bit. Kenwood has dual cooling fans for just a little bit of piece of mind so to speak. Still researching at this point.
Well I don't have the measurements. I can tell and as you can see by the pictures it is big. You would be hard pressed to make a bigger mounting bracket for the space under the fairing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely tight under there it seems. Going to have to figure it out by trial and error ultimately I am guessing. Thanks for your help. Have a happy 4th ....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did it come with any kind of instructions for the install on the bike, or just general instructions that came with the amp? Im wanting to add an amp, but I don't want to go poking around without some instructions because me and wiring don't get along. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I thought the same thing, but it's not that bad. Couple of hours to install speakers, amp and wiring. Just run a search and you will be fine. Just make sure that once all is installed, run a polarity test, via YouTube. My speakers were out of phase and had to pull the fairing twice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got all my instructions off this forum. This set up is not plug and play. It's not hard but you defiantly need to understand basic wiring. I think Hawg wired had a kit that is more plug and play.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Quick question about your install...
Where did you make the ground wire connection for the amp? I see in my research that most are going to the battery (not the chassis). When installing systems in cars this was a no-no.
Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Correct...connect your ground wire to the negative on the battery. I have been running mine that way for the past 6000 miles.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
There is also a grounding point on the motor in the front on cross bikes that has something already grounded to it. You can use that and if you get engine noise go to the battery.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Thanks for the help. All wired up (to the battery) and sounding great!
The only thing I did different was set the AP/LP/HP switch to HP and the crossover to about 60 Htz since the speakers can't reproduce the lower frequencies and it would cause unnecessary distortion.

BTW, went with the Focal IP 130s in the stock size. I may upgrade to the 6.5" adapters at some point, but this new bike has me BLEEDING money....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts