Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the plunge and ordered the WD amp kit and alpine speakers (I know..paid more but to me worth it for ease of install). I installed as directed, grounded to battery, and sounded great. Rode for about an hour and started clipping, then went out all together.

Amp was really hot (I know it runs hot anyways), so I called WD and sent new amp...same issue as it clipped immediately after install. After observation left speaker was blown.

My question is...WD specifically states to not mess with the settings (or will void warranty with them), and the gain is set at 6. RF's procedure is to adjust slowly up while having stereo set 3/4, then back down.

Is 6 too high for this amp and alpine speakers? I do not want to blow more speakers, and I do not want to void warrany with WD. I did turn off my auto volume prior to riding as well. I appreciate any input/advice.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have never ran the amp gain higher than 3 on mine. More gain is going to cause more distortion

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine is in the 3-4 range and wasn't cutting out on a 108 degree day here in AZ.

·
Registered
332 Posts
mine is set between 3 and 4. Sound quality degrades after 4. Call Jon back and get another amp. Turn the gain down, if it blows turn it back up and call them again.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also verify your wiring. I always use a bit of dielectric grease on every connection.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I have double checked my wiring and all is good. New amp is running fine, it sounds like I need to set the gain back. Weird how WD sends it this way and specifically says to not change it. I will contact them, but I really appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I got mine from WD the gain was also at 6, and I fried speakers. Set it to 3, and have polk 6.5s, have used it for about 5000 miles or so (in very hot weather) and have had zero issues. From what I read, 6 is wicked high.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Make sure the cross over switch is set to HP not AP. I blew 2 speakers and it always sounded distorted with certain songs on AP. On HP it sounds great with gain on 5. AP just lets too much strong bass through for some speakers

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure the cross over switch is set to HP not AP. I blew 2 speakers and it always sounded distorted with certain songs on AP. On HP it sounds great with gain on 5. AP just lets too much strong bass through for some speakers
I am pleased so far with the AP setting as the bass is good/not overpowering with the Alpines. If I fry any more speakers, going all in with the 6.5 Hertz.

Reactions: ccrainman

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little update, had a small trip of a few hundred miles and gain set at 4, I couldn't really hear the music going 50 to 60 mph...volume control pushed up to 15 to 18 and actually wasn't that loud. I got home, checked all the connections and all good. I went ahead and turned up the gain again because there isn't any other choice to get decent sound.

Standing still with no bike running, gain at 3 or 4 sounds pretty good, but on the road wasn't that loud. At 6 (I know, it's high)...actually sounded good again.

On a side note, I had the auto volume control off, but when I turned it to low, the sound was louder at speed (medium and high sounded even better, but I didn't want to fry another speaker). Kind of disappointed for now as I was expecting more out of this system. Next project will be hertz speakers and possibly a different amp

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went with the Hertz 6.5's after blowing the left Alpine, using the RF 300X4 gain set at 5. I have run the Hertz for a couple months now and they sound terrific.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I bought my RF amp from Amazon a little over a year ago....installed every thing myself. I also have Alpine 6.5 speakers.

My gain is set at 6...of my own experimentation. I LOVE MY STEREO and it sound ABSOLUTELY great. I do run my music through my Garmin zumo 590LM and sometimes Pandora.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I know no one asked...so this may seem preachy, but it is only meant to be helpful.

I feel like I keep seeing folks confuse the gain control with some sort of output volume control. Technically, it's not. It's for adjusting the INPUT side of the amp.

You have to think of it as two different amplifier stages...because, technically, it is.

The first stage is where the RF amp attenuates the high-powered signal down to a line level. Then, you use the gain (preamp) to adjust the signal up to an optimal input level for the amp...a signal which is hot enough to get the most out of the power amp stage, but not so hot that it distorts the input of the amp stage. If you overdrive the input of the amp, you clip the signal. That's bad.

Once the gain level is set, you can forget it. The second stage is the power amp itself, which has no volume control. It just takes the signal it sees and amplifies it.

After that, the only thing that stops you from distorting (and/or blowing) your speakers is matching the speaker to the amp and using your ears in conjunction with the volume control.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with the Hertz 6.5's after blowing the left Alpine, using the RF 300X4 gain set at 5. I have run the Hertz for a couple months now and they sound terrific.
Good to know, I am at 5.5 gain and sounds good, but do not know how long it will last with the Alpines. I guess I'm confused on which Hertz model after reading the numerous threads...can you provide a model number and where you bought them? Sounds like in my future, thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll say it again. Set the crossover to HP. It is the low frequency that is blowing speakers. You can't hear those low bass tones when your going down the highway anyway. I messed with my gain for two years and could never get it right. I blew two RF PUNCH 6.5 inch speakers. Now I have the gain on 5 and can turn the volume past 20. It sounds great on the highway, Clean and crisp. I was to the point I was going to spend a bunch of money on a Hertz system. I'm glad I didn't cause setting the crossover to HP was Free.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man, will try that and appreciate the input

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have no idea what the roll off spec is on the factory unit when the bass setting is decreased. But I do know that the RF amp rolls off 12 dB per octave, starting at 80 Hz, with the HP setting. That pretty much slams the door on low frequencies.

To my ear, with my speakers, I find that they sound much better if I run AP and fine-tune the low end with the bass setting on the factory stereo. When I'm rolling highway speeds and using more volume, I roll the bass down a couple more ticks to keep it all under control.

Reactions: ccrainman and Ace22

·
Registered
246 Posts
With the amp set to HP, what did you set the frequency to? I am currently running AP and gain at 5 and think my Alpines are toasted.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Good to know, I am at 5.5 gain and sounds good, but do not know how long it will last with the Alpines. I guess I'm confused on which Hertz model after reading the numerous threads...can you provide a model number and where you bought them? Sounds like in my future, thanks
Most often, the Hertz HCX165 is recommended when going to higher end/high power handling speakers. They do sound GREAT
I don't know if these are from an authorized dealer, but give you an idea.
If you buy Hertz, make sure you're getting them from an Authorized dealer. There are a lot of grey market/knockoff Hertz speakers out there, and you will get hosed if you need a warranty claim.

Reactions: ccrainman and Ace22

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I'm no expert on frequencies and octaves and all. All I know is it sounds great on hp. I put the amp in LP just to hear what came through. The sound was very deep tones that my Rockford 6.5" speakers didn't like. They just sound clearer to me in HP. Try it for yourself and see if you like it. If not its just a flip of a switch. So nothing to loose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts