Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a completely foreign experience.... but I kind of liked it. :)
The owner's setup wasn't really right for me but past that, the riding position was comfortable, high and commanding, I had a great view of what's around me.
But what really shocked me was the Tenere's gitty-up and go...The bike is quick. I got to the end of my street, took a right, gave it a few revs and gears, next thing I know I'm doing 73mph! through my neighborhood.....lol with no drama at all, it was so smooth and quiet I didn't notice the speed until I happened to glance at the speedo...What's funny is the Tenere is considered one of the weaker engined adventure bikes. Road speed handling felt good, it lays into corners nice and solid but slow speed and turning was something else. Its completely different than the Vic, with its tall suspension and higher carried weight makes slow stuff touchy...I don't think I'd ever be able to throw it around like the big Vic.

Makin' the Tenere look good .. ;) :ltr:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Before I picked up my Vegas I test rode a Suzuki V-strom 1000. Merging onto the freeway I gunned it and was at 100 before I could blink an eye. Nowhere as cool and nice as my Victory but I would def own 1 if I could.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before I picked up my Vegas I test rode a Suzuki V-strom 1000. Merging onto the freeway I gunned it and was at 100 before I could blink an eye. Nowhere as cool and nice as my Victory but I would def own 1 if I could.
Now I want to try an FJR1300 ..MUHAHAHA! :devil

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yeah some chic on one of those took off away from me at a stop light like a blur. Must not have liked my music.
Did your friend have a tune flashed on it? Those things get very zippy.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah some chic on one of those took off away from me at a stop light like a blur. Must not have liked my music.
Did your friend have a tune flashed on it? Those things get very zippy.
No, its a bone stock(engine wise) 2012. Marv mentioned this ECU flash that can be done, but he's happy with the performance as is. He has had it a few years and is going to sell or trade it for a new "lighter, nimbler' FJ-09. I can't blame him, the Tenere is a nice bike and damn quick but not something I'd want to have as my primary scoot.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
We have a hard time keeping those style of bikes here, the V-Stroms use to fly out of here once they came out of the crate. But now with all the new styles, especially with the Honda Africa twin and those yams, people have more choices to play around with. Our Hondas and Yams might last a week on the floor before they are bought up

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now I want to try an FJR1300 ..MUHAHAHA! :devil
You would like the FJR. Just got done with a 3000 mile trip on mine. The bike can be scary fast when you twist the throttle in sport mode. I enjoyed passing all the HD's in Montana going to Sturgis. One guy even tryed to keep up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had the same Tenere as shown in your pic. I rode it for a year. Spent two weeks on the road with the wife unit (Cali to Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and back - plus a few days on my own with kid and friends). Wifey never made a peep of displeasure during the excursion. We pulled in to the drive way at the end of the journey and wife promptly said "I'm never getting on that bike again!" Its a great solo ride for adventure class riding. No creature comforts for 2-up travels. Switched to the Vic. Wife is happy. Happy wife = happy life. YRMV. :smile

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would like the FJR. Just got done with a 3000 mile trip on mine. The bike can be scary fast when you twist the throttle in sport mode. I enjoyed passing all the HD's in Montana going to Sturgis. One guy even tryed to keep up.
I'm sure I would, and FJR is more suited to my riding style than either the Tenere or my Vic.

I had the same Tenere as shown in your pic. I rode it for a year. Spent two weeks on the road with the wife unit (Cali to Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and back - plus a few days on my own with kid and friends). Wifey never made a peep of displeasure during the excursion. We pulled in to the drive way at the end of the journey and wife promptly said "I'm never getting on that bike again!" Its a great solo ride for adventure class riding. No creature comforts for 2-up travels. Switched to the Vic. Wife is happy. Happy wife = happy life. YRMV. :smile
Yea, my wife is liking "touring" less and less each year, she goes but its more for me and I can tell she's not having the fun she used to have on rides. She more or less said she's done after our last trip to the St. Lawrence. So the next bike I pick, is going to be based on my needs and wants....I won't have to consider how its going to accommodate my passenger. As for the Tenere, its not the bike for me, what I'm leaning toward is the FJR1300 which has a decent pillion area should my wifey want to take a couple hours ride with me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts