Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had an 02 V Star 1100, which was stolen a few years ago. I lived in the desert on 2 miles of dirt road, that I took the bike on daily. I had so much fun in the dirt that I rode through the desert (With street tires, they didn't make d/s tires for that bike) with it. In deep, soft sand, in rocky trails, in washes, everywhere.

I even jumped it quite a few times, getting a foot to six feet of air, it was amazing.

Since she was stolen I have been yearning to ride again.

I was at the local motorcycle dealership and saw a liquid cooled v twin, American motorcycle, so I test rode it.

Well, I pretty much need one now. It was amazing. I thought the front brake might not be enough, I was wrong in spades, it was incredible, it was more than enough brake.

I plan on buying one with the upgraded rear shocks.

Two things need to be done to this bike,

1. It needs a lift. I hit many rocks with my fat, low V star. I was in the middle of raising the suspension on it when it was stolen. It looks like I could possibly get shocks from another bike on the front to lift it that way, I think. I do not care about valving, I usually adjust to the bike, not the other way around.

Rear shocks looks simple, maybe I will forgo the upgraded rear shock and find something that will bolt on that will give me an inch or two of lift. I may add a skid plate to the bottom to protect the motor.

2. Tires. The 130/70-18 front tire has several dual sport options available, that are slightly different in size.

The 160/70-17 is a different story, any ideas on a d/s tire for the back? I am not concerned with maintaining the stock width, really, just as long as it fits on the rim.

I want to put out some videos and show what a cruiser can do offroad, I really wish I would have gotten more videos of me on the V star, but really I rode alone and nobody to film me.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Nice mate .... Hope you can do all that ....

You can extension the forks quite easy ... Just bushings from sollid aluminium ... Even easy to make yourself ??

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I'm at a compete loss here............... :|

tundra, you do know there is an entire class of bikes call "adventure touring" There is one or more made by just about every manufacture that will run circles around some mickey-moused Octane off-road and most of these AT bikes will suck the Octane's headlight out on the road, all while being comfortable enough for a trip to Alaska...

Jumping a V-Star.....fucking really???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at a compete loss here............... :|

tundra, you do know there is an entire class of bikes call "adventure touring" There is one or more made by just about every manufacture that will run circles around some mickey-moused Octane off-road and most of these AT bikes will suck the Octane's headlight out on the road, all while being comfortable enough for a trip to Alaska...

These bikes... are they made in America, and are they under 11 grand? No...? Well golly.

Jumping a V-Star.....fucking really???

I jumped it once so high the ass end kicked out and I landed so hard I almost went flying over the handlebars. After that I learned pretty effing fast to control the ass end, and land on both tires at the same time. it actually lands like a pillow when you do that.

So yeah.

Fucking really

I once rode past some dirt bikers in a deep sand wash. They didn't say a word... just stared. Yeah, I did it. People cheered when I took the thing offroad from the highway, going around lame ass traffic. I even got some air to entertain 'em.

I cased it a few times, the underside was coated with epoxy I had to cut out every 6 months cos it'd start leaking again.

Because of my offroad skills on the Japanese pig, I was able to avoid a bus that suddenly cut across the entire road to make a U turn directly in front of me. I scraped the **** out of my left floorboard, which is a fairly regular occurrence, I went off into the embankment, through the sand (Thank God the bus driver saw me at the last moment and stopped his big ass U turn, I brought up the incident with the transpo authority and he admitted he did it, they reschooled him, I was happy, I didn't want him to get fired, just learn a lesson) around the bus one handed (My other hand was gesturing with a single digit...) and recovered back onto the road.

I learned that V star like it was a part of my body, and it saved me that one day.

I recommend learning your machine in the dirt no matter what you got. My bike was super stable going down dirt roads. The Star wasn't exactly flickable but I managed, the Octane is way more flickable, I can't wait to get it out in the dirt and show people what it can do. That is if I can get it financed.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Good on ya mate ... Do as you feel pleased ...

Last month we went all around Sumatra with 4 Victory / 1 BMW / 1 Ducati

And had to "offroad" a few times .... Not a good thing with a 250 mm tire ... Ha HABHA

Also a few " humps " in the road and I saw a Vision jump 2 wheels off the ground ... Amazing but true ... Vic's can handle that stuff mechanically, no worries ...

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Yeah I reckon your Octane will make a great dirt scrambler!
Go For It!!!!
Dunno about using slugs in yer forks if yr doing aerials though
Maybe longer fork tunes would be better.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have taken my Judge off road a fair bit. The Victory needs a bash plate and is ahem not the most nimble machine plus the suspension is ****. But it just ploughs through. Just don't drop it.

But if you seriously want to go off road you need to try say a Triumph Tiger or a GS or maybe a Ducati scrambler. Go for made in Europe if you can't stand the thought of Jap bike

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts