Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is WOW! What fun. It has 6 gears and a clutch but they seem optional. You can just start out in third and leave it there till past 60. If you stop you don't even need the clutch.

There is plenty of engine decompression like drag from the regeneration so when you back off it's just like a high compression V-twin.

The package is like a cross between a standard and a sport bike. It was pretty comfortable for the little 12 mile loop they gave us at the Delmarva bike weekend.

It has gobs of torque. When you twist your arms get pulled. I used about 12% of its charge on the ride.

No engine sounds, more like a turbo spooling up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Haven't ridden one yet but electric bikes and cars are torque monsters at the twist of the wrist or push of the accelerator (car). I have a Chevy Volt that is always powered by battery. The "range extender" gas engine runs to charge the battery when it hits a pre determined minimum charge.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
They are going to have to make one that this 79 year old can get on and not be in a world of pain. I tried getting on one and almost couldn't get off, but I would have loved to have taken it for a spin. What I don't understand is why are all the electric bikes sport types, with that humping a watermelon riding posture? That's for kids and kids don't have the money for a second bike and that's what most electrics will be. Its us old, er mature folk that have the disposable cash to piss away on a toy bike, so why aren't they making them comfortable for us? Huh? Make it with a sit up position and a price under $10K and there will be one in my garage.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I have no desire to own an e-bike but I have to admire how far they've come and will eventually go with the bottleneck being the miles per charge and charge time. Once they get them to go at least 200 miles per charge and a 5 minute charge time; they will start selling like crazy. The price should come down once production hits high numbers just like a VCR or DVD player.

If they are smart; the industry will standardize a battery pack so all you have to do is stop any any gas station (e-station), pull out the battery cassette, then go in an exchange it for a fully charged cassette for a nominal price, slip it into the bike and go.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
How many years can the battery pack last ?

How could you go on a roadtrip ?

Spare parts cost ?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
What I don't understand is why are all the electric bikes sport types, with that humping a watermelon riding posture? ... Its us old, er mature folk that have the disposable cash to piss away on a toy bike, so why aren't they making them comfortable for us? Huh? Make it with a sit up position and a price under $10K and there will be one in my garage.
That would probably be a worthwhile project. If only I had a donor bike to try it on, along with the battery and motor. And time. And money. Did I mention time?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Its us old, er mature folk that have the disposable cash to piss away on a toy bike, so why aren't they making them comfortable for us? Huh? Make it with a sit up position and a price under $10K and there will be one in my garage.
Good questions. I don't think Polaris really thinks the Empulse is going to be more than a novelty sale, aimed at Silicon Valley techies. Victory's follow-up eBike will be a more serious effort.

So, why sell/promote this bike? First, they beat Harley (and the rest of the large motorcycle producers) to the punch; second, Victory is shifting from a cruiser brand to performance brand and with the third-place finish of Victory Empulse in the eBike class at the Isle of Man, they're showing they're serious about entering this segment. Also, Project 156 is a preview of the Victory Octane, essentially a hopped-up Scout, more power, better suspension, better brakes.

If you're an old man (and let's face it, in this industry if you're over 30-years-old, you're old), Indian will have what you want. If you're a tech head or performance-oriented sort, Victory will be where you'll land in the Polaris schema.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good questions. I don't think Polaris really thinks the Empulse is going to be more than a novelty sale, aimed at Silicon Valley techies. Victory's follow-up eBike will be a more serious effort.

So, why sell/promote this bike? First, they beat Harley (and the rest of the large motorcycle producers) to the punch; second, Victory is shifting from a cruiser brand to performance brand and with the third-place finish of Victory Empulse in the eBike class at the Isle of Man, they're showing they're serious about entering this segment. Also, Project 156 is a preview of the Victory Octane, essentially a hopped-up Scout, more power, better suspension, better brakes.

If you're an old man (and let's face it, in this industry if you're over 30-years-old, you're old), Indian will have what you want. If you're a tech head or performance-oriented sort, Victory will be where you'll land in the Polaris schema.

Sure does seem like the motorcycling community is aging ?

When I go to just about any local gatherings,...I see a-bunch'o grey/white hair............So I blend right in :grin

·
Registered
30 Posts
They are going to have to make one that this 79 year old can get on and not be in a world of pain. I tried getting on one and almost couldn't get off, but I would have loved to have taken it for a spin. What I don't understand is why are all the electric bikes sport types, with that humping a watermelon riding posture? That's for kids and kids don't have the money for a second bike and that's what most electrics will be. Its us old, er mature folk that have the disposable cash to piss away on a toy bike, so why aren't they making them comfortable for us? Huh? Make it with a sit up position and a price under $10K and there will be one in my garage.
Take a look at the FZ-09. i sold my R6 to get my Highball a few months ago, my back just couldnt take the sportbike posture anymore. but i was "this" close to getting the FZ over my Vic.

i just thought it was time to retire from the whole scene with my baby just being born.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Take a look at the FZ-09. i sold my R6 to get my Highball a few months ago, my back just couldnt take the sportbike posture anymore. but i was "this" close to getting the FZ over my Vic.

i just thought it was time to retire from the whole scene with my baby just being born.
I've been reading about the FZ-09 and it made me want one as well. I can't handle the sitting position though.

I totally understand how RIC feels about not seeing a cruiser option for an electric bike. Makes no sense!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
One thing I omitted to say in my previous post is, I picture a comfortable e-bike as an in-town errand runner, so range is not a big issue. Yeah, Vic is going to morph into a performance bike, but I think there's sales potential for an electric grocery-getter.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

That's funny, my Grandparent's had a "79" Poor man's Vette (Chevette). It probably got the same fuel mileage as some of these "planet savers".

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I can ride at least 200 miles on my XC, stop for less than 5 minutes to fuel up and the ride 200 more ETC.....
Try that on a Planet saver!!!!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I love to challenge electric car owners here in Portland to a race to Pendelton, 210 miles away, and return. The only time allowed for charging is while eating a chocolate peanut butter butterfly at Up With Donuts there. So far, I've had no takers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I can ride at least 200 miles on my XC, stop for less than 5 minutes to fuel up and the ride 200 more ETC.....
Try that on a Planet saver!!!!
Cool, dinosaur.

How many times a week do you ride >= 400 miles? Unless you're retired, I'd wager not many.

Like none.

In my electric vehicle, my vehicle is charged every morning and I don't have to go to a gas station weekly, gasoline and oil-polluted carcinogens free-floating in the air and concrete. Also, my consumption of energy is a tenth of your currently "cheap" petroleum.

My EV is quiet, fast and comfortable.

It doesn't belch CO2.

My EV has almost zero maintenance because there are so few moving parts, including no oil changes, no transmission oil changes, no anything changes. Tires, I guess.

But, dinosaur, I'm sure you know best. There are so many of you on this Earth you couldn't possibly disappear, could you?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
My Oh My, Jagular, aren't we sanctimonious. Did you break your arm patting yourself on the back? Sacto has gas fired power generators, so how much CO2 did that plant put out charging your voltswagen? If you want to wear your greeness on your sleeve, kindly do so without lording it over us, please. Incidentally, would you have bought that short hauler if us taxpayers hadn't kicked in $7500 of our hard earned dollars?
My Chrysler 300C is also quiet, very comfortable (for 5 adults I might add), and has taken us from the left coast to the right coast three times, plus many other LD excursions. Oh, and it gets over 30 MPG on the highway, which I can well afford. But when I put my right foot down, it'll suck your aluminum foil doors off. Yes, I have had it on the track, at PIR to be exact.
Oh BTW, I am retired and gonna ride over 400 miles this Saturday.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My Oh My, aren't we sanctimonious. Did you break your arm patting yourself on the back? Sacto has gas fired power generators, so how much CO2 did that plant put out charging your voltswagen? If you want to wear your greeness on your sleeve, kindly do so without lording it over us, please. Incidentally, would you have bought that short hauler if us taxpayers hadn't kicked in $7500 of our hard earned dollars?
My Chrysler 300C is also quiet, very comfortable (for 5 adults I might add), and has taken us from the left coast to the right coast three times, plus many other LD excursions.
Oh BTW, I am retired.
Of course you are retired. No surprise.

My energy consumption is off-set by solar. So, my energy consumption is far less than yours.

My income is too high, RICZ. I didn't qualify for the $7500 because, frankly, I don't need it.

Please come over here and I'll happily to introduce you to the future.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My Oh My, Jagular, aren't we sanctimonious. Did you break your arm patting yourself on the back? Sacto has gas fired power generators, so how much CO2 did that plant put out charging your voltswagen? If you want to wear your greeness on your sleeve, kindly do so without lording it over us, please. Incidentally, would you have bought that short hauler if us taxpayers hadn't kicked in $7500 of our hard earned dollars?
My Chrysler 300C is also quiet, very comfortable (for 5 adults I might add), and has taken us from the left coast to the right coast three times, plus many other LD excursions. Oh, and it gets over 30 MPG on the highway, which I can well afford. But when I put my right foot down, it'll suck your aluminum foil doors off. Yes, I have had it on the track, at PIR to be exact.
Oh BTW, I am retired and gonna ride over 400 miles this Saturday.
BTW, RICZ, I'm not really trying to bust your ass, although it is fun - I admit.

I have a Magnum and a Cadillac so it's not like I don't run gas machines. I've had a GTO, a VR4, a 645Ci... Actually, I've owned over 20 gasoline-powered cars in my 23 years of driving. I love cars. And motorcycles - seven total. But, EVs are the future. Pure and simple. And I'm serious. I'm happy to have you over to ride. We can take the Victory's out (last year I went all four corners of the contiguous US on my Victory Cross Country Tour in five weeks - so I ride - a lot).

But I believe I can prove to you that EVs are the future.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I am in Sacto twice a year and that is twice a year too much. Thanks for saving us that $7500 and proving my point that poor folk do not buy EVs, so why does the gov't throw $$ at the wealthy? When I asked that question of legislators, it stopped a bill here in Oregon that would have added $3000 of Oregon taxpayer $$ to that $7500. Jagular, I am staring the future in the face and it is damn ugly. I see a country that's dying on its feet from Over Regulation, PCism, Liberalism, Entitlements, Illegal Immigration, terrible political decisions and anti military and anti capitalism attitudes...to name just a few things. And your state is at the forefront of the coming disaster. You car is a good example as CA has mandated that by a certain year (I can't recall) at least 15% of all cars sold will be either electric or hydrogen. YOU CAN NOT LEGISLATE THE MARKETPLACE! Your demented legislature tried that same thing circa 1980 with miserable consequences. That is why GM HAD to come out with the EV1. At least they were intelligent enough to only lease them, cuz they knew that law would fail and when it did, GM can reel them in. The fruit and nut inspection stations should be on the Oregon side, not your side. Sheesh!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts