Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick bit of background, I currently ride a 10' Triumph Thunderbird. Love the bike, lots of power, smooth, handles great, but I am looking for something more of a tourer as a second bike.

So far I have rode a Rocket III Touring (didnt like engine feel and bulk) and a Goldwing F6B. (no ABS or cruise control, wtf Honda?)

Comfort, power and all the amenities are on my list of main priorities. I looked at the Cross Country as well as the Vision. Really thought the Vision was over the top ugly, but it was the most comfortable to sit on so I took it for a ride. Here were my impressions:

#1. Wow, what a comfortable bike! Seat was awesome, floorboard design was awesome (I am 6'5 300 lbs, never been able to stretch out on a bike before like on the Vision)

#2. Wind mitigation was great and super smooth ride. Definately a 2 wheeled Cadillac.

#3. Power was... adequate. Maybe i'm just spoiled from my Thunderbird, but I was hoping for a bit more grunt.

#4. WTF Victory, the throttle was horrible. Did noone from the factory actually ride this bike before putting it on the market? Having to adjust your hand a second time to roll on full throttle is just plain stupid. I have big-ass hands and there was simply too much travel in the throttle to be usable.

#5.My biggest WTF Victory, is with the HEAT. At a light, my triumph will put some heat on you when the fans kick in, so im used to a little heat. The Vision however, is nuts. This thing baked the crap out of my calves while riding on the freeway. There is NO air moment behind those big swoopy plastics. Again, horrible, horrible design that I cant believe left the factory like that. I can live with some heat (am in Florida also btw) in traffic, but on the road? No way.

Had the last two items not been present, I probably would of bought the bike right then and there based on how comfortable it was, weird looks be damned.

I was told by the salesperson that the Cross Country is basically the identical bike under the skin with essentially just different plastics... any truth to that? I didnt get a chance to ride one was a little put off by those few nagging things about the Vision, but am thinking I should go back and take one for a spin nonetheless. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Victorys are (and I'll get nailed for this I'm sure) like Harley in that respect. One motor, many bikes. They all have the same 106 Freedom engine. Indians use the same design just bigger displacement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your cats should happen to fall out the bike will get a lot cooler. Also, only open the lowers an inch or so.
"lowers"? OK so maybe i'm half blind, but when I looked I saw no adjustable air vents or diverters on the bike.... It was a 13 Vision.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Victorys are (and I'll get nailed for this I'm sure) like Harley in that respect. One motor, many bikes. They all have the same 106 Freedom engine. Indians use the same design just bigger displacement.

On my triumph, doing pipes and a remap made it sound better and gave it a bit better throttle response, but no real dyno HP boost. Only way to get more real power out of it was a big bore kit and hotter cams, and I wasnt really very keen on doing internal engine work on a bike with only 3k miles.

Are there any reasonably affordable tweaks to squeeze some extra power out of these Freedom motors without opening them up?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I do the same thing on every bike I own:
-inatke
-Power Commander
-exhaust

The usual bolt on performance stuff. I did the adjustable timing wheel on my bike too but noticed no real difference in anything after installing it. But a lot of people here swear it makes the bike feel different so who knows.

Oh yeah, I did the quarter turn throttle. It's $20 and makes a huge difference. I had the same complaint you did.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Simply adding Lloydz adjustable air filter, mufflers, and Power commander will bump the performance into the "I love this bike" sector, lol. And the bike you rode probably did not have lowers. They are an option, but WELL worth the few dollars to ad them. They will divert fresh air directly onto the motor at speed, with them open.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Simply adding Lloydz adjustable air filter, mufflers, and Power commander will bump the performance into the "I love this bike" sector, lol. And the bike you rode probably did not have lowers. They are an option, but WELL worth the few dollars to ad them. They will divert fresh air directly onto the motor at spees, with them open.
Aha, so these lowers can be added on? Any links to pics of these?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aha, got it. I assume these draw air in and onto your legs? I'm also assuming they have to make a big difference, as I just couldnt see riding the bike any kind of distance in warm weather stock. I dont ride in shorts anyways even on hot days, but I can see this thing singing the hair right off your legs! lol

·
Registered
784 Posts
Since I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of what you ride now, here are some random thoughts.
Snipped a bit to save electrons

#1. Wow, what a comfortable bike! Seat was awesome, floorboard design was awesome (I am 6'5 300 lbs, never been able to stretch out on a bike before like on the Vision)
Yep. Pretty much covered it there.

#2. Wind mitigation was great and super smooth ride. Definately a 2 wheeled Cadillac.
Ditto

#3. Power was... adequate. Maybe i'm just spoiled from my Thunderbird, but I was hoping for a bit more grunt.
American V Twin, they ain't what some folks would have you believe. Two thoughts for this one. Victory engines take about 10K miles to break in really good and power will increase. Perhaps not to what you expected but it will jump. Second, they are fairly inexpensive to unlock as compared to others.

#4. WTF Victory, the throttle was horrible. Did noone from the factory actually ride this bike before putting it on the market? Having to adjust your hand a second time to roll on full throttle is just plain stupid. I have big-ass hands and there was simply too much travel in the throttle to be usable.
All Vic bikes have an unusually long throttle. $20 and about 20 minutes will correct this.

#5.My biggest WTF Victory, is with the HEAT. At a light, my triumph will put some heat on you when the fans kick in, so im used to a little heat. The Vision however, is nuts. This thing baked the crap out of my calves while riding on the freeway. There is NO air moment behind those big swoopy plastics. Again, horrible, horrible design that I cant believe left the factory like that. I can live with some heat (am in Florida also btw) in traffic, but on the road? No way.
There is a price for all that tupperware. There are some Vision guys that will help with the air movement. Heat, well they all do it, just in different places and conditions. A Wing will roast your legs off the radiators, a Venture will envelop you on hot days, well you get it.

Had the last two items not been present, I probably would of bought the bike right then and there based on how comfortable it was, weird looks be damned.

I was told by the salesperson that the Cross Country is basically the identical bike under the skin with essentially just different plastics... any truth to that? I didnt get a chance to ride one was a little put off by those few nagging things about the Vision, but am thinking I should go back and take one for a spin nonetheless. Any thoughts on this?
I like the XCT better than the Vision. Better bike? No, different, yes. Problems? Some are the same and some different. Both are mile eaters, both comfortable, and both share a lot of the same qualities, or was that shortcomings? Anyway ride on and if you don't get a fuzzy feeling move on. Riding is supposed to be enjoyable.
HAPPY HUNTING

·
Registered
539 Posts
Aha, got it. I assume these draw air in and onto your legs? I'm also assuming they have to make a big difference, as I just couldnt see riding the bike any kind of distance in warm weather stock. I dont ride in shorts anyways even on hot days, but I can see this thing singing the hair right off your legs! lol
I actually am curious about this myself and I own one. I bought it in October, I added the lowers a couple of weeks later. Really helps with rain, was a big improvement over my Kingpin in that respect. I have not got to ride it in hot weather yet, so I am hoping that I can adjust them in to help. That is what everyone said so I hope it's true. I had the same WTF when I test rode the Vision and XCT. It was a moderately warm day and my legs got a bit toasty. Seems like they would put the lowers on all the Visions before they let someone out on hot day for demo ride.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya know I just remembered one other item that niggled me a little, and that was the brakes. It took a pretty darn good amount of effort on the lever to stop this beast... definitely was NOT a two finger ordeal. Is that common on the Vision, or did I have a lame one? The bike did stop just fine, but it took a ton of lever/pedal effort to do so,

Also makes me curious, is the ABS on the Vision linked or no?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Ya know I just remembered one other item that niggled me a little, and that was the brakes. It took a pretty darn good amount of effort on the lever to stop this beast... definitely was NOT a two finger ordeal. Is that common on the Vision, or did I have a lame one? The bike did stop just fine, but it took a ton of lever/pedal effort to do so,

Also makes me curious, is the ABS on the Vision linked or no?
ABS yes, not linked though. Best configuration IMHO.

I demo'd both an XCT and Vision last year on a hot day and they were both hotter than the blue blazes on my right leg. I own an XR with a factory Stage 1 kit and it doesn't get hot at all, so I have to believe it's in the stock fuel mapping along with the fact that tupperware bikes just have more parts that block air from carrying it away.

Power, I agree. I demo'd a Tbird last year and it was considerably more spunky than my bike, but for a few grand in engine mods, you can make a Vic that will dust just about anything in the class.

Brake pads are very wooden when new. Mine have broken in and have pretty decent feel now, but they still aren't terribly powerful. I got some EBC HH pads on the shelf for when these are ready to go to the great junk yard in the sky. Peeps seem to like their pads better.

Anyway, take that trunk off the Vision and it's like having the hot teacher take off her glasses and let down her hair.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Like others have said , most of your issues are easy fixes..
Having said that, take Cross Country out..some of the same issues but better on some others...Again all easy fixes..I have an 11 Cross country i wouldnt give up for anything, 20k miles of pure fun.... have always herd good things about the Vision too..Dont think you could go wrong with either one..
I almost bought a Thunderbird a couple of years ago..when they 1st came out..Took it out for a spin...very, very nice...if i didnt already have 2 Trumpets and didnt find Victory i prolly would have one now.
Another bike you cant go wrong with..cheers
Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway, take that trunk off the Vision and it's like having the hot teacher take off her glasses and let down her hair.

I agree 1000%! Main thing I liked about the Goldwing F6B was that low, wide fat ass on it.. sex on wheels. Visions is even nicer, so the trunk is definately the first thing im yanking off. Of course the front fairing still looks like something off an an 80's Kawasaki from head on, not sure what I can do about that but being an ass-man at heart i'll definitely start with the trunk :)

BTW, why do you say that you feel non-linked was the best setup? I was thinking it would be the opposite, but then again ive never had a bike with ABS before...

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I agree 1000%! Main thing I liked about the Goldwing F6B was that low, wide fat ass on it.. sex on wheels. Visions is even nicer, so the trunk is definately the first thing im yanking off. Of course the front fairing still looks like something off an an 80's Kawasaki from head on, not sure what I can do about that but being an ass-man at heart i'll definitely start with the trunk :)

BTW, why do you say that you feel non-linked was the best setup? I was thinking it would be the opposite, but then again ive never had a bike with ABS before...
It's helpful to be able to drag the rear brake when doing low speed turning. If the brakes are linked, it will apply front brakes too which causes the front end to dive and discombobulate the bike.

As to the front, you ain't a gonna see it anyway and with any luck it will scare oncoming traffic.

One thing that tames it down a bit is replacing the bright orange turn signal covers with something a little less conspicuous.

vision_signals.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's helpful to be able to drag the rear brake when doing low speed turning. If the brakes are linked, it will apply front brakes too which causes the front end to dive and discombobulate the bike.

As to the front, you ain't a gonna see it anyway and with any luck it will scare oncoming traffic.

One thing that tames it down a bit is replacing the bright orange turn signal covers with something a little less conspicuous.

View attachment 57289
Good point on the brakes, didnt consider that. And you are right on the turn signals, thats part of the reason I was considering nuclear sunset orange for my color as it blends those ugly signals in.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
"lowers"? OK so maybe i'm half blind, but when I looked I saw no adjustable air vents or diverters on the bike.... It was a 13 Vision.
Lower air deflectors are an accessory. I have them and would not ride far without them.
As far as the throttle position, an after market "1/4" turn can be had for small money and the bottom end torque can be greatly improved by installing the Lloydz adjustable timing wheel.
I routinely ride my Vision, yes its ugly, in the summer heat with no real issues and a great feeling engine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts