Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing some reading here over the weekend and am going to try the oil mixing route on my upcoming change. The posts I read all say mix T6 and Rotella T, which I cannot find here. Is Rotella T4 the same thing with a different name? Sorry if this has already been asked. I did search first... but I'm old and stupid.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
First thing I would look for is if it's JASO-MA and/or JASO-MA2 certified. According to the spec sheet for Rotella T4 15w40, it isn't.

OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS
SAE 15W-40 API and OEM Approvals
API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, Cummins CES 20086,
DDC DFS 93K222, VDS-4.5, MACK EO-S - 4.5, Caterpillar
ECF-2/ECF-3, Ford WSS-M2C171-F1
Link to the spec sheet:
http://rotella.shell.com/products/rotella-triple-protection/_jcr_content/productDetails.stream/1506812675980/bd320b1988797cf04b4249d529c32ec3d175f99e03c7d0869abb74e0be5439a9/t5-15w-40.pdf

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmm, odd. It said it on the back of the bottle I looked at yesterday which is why I wanted to post the question first to make sure.

Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection SAE 15W-40 API CK-4

Edit... Ahh, your link took me to T5, Was asking about T4. I see the phrase "Enhanced wear protection" on the T4 sheet. Somewhere in this oil section I seem to remember that phrase being a no-no. I confess though, I'm not sure. I read hundreds of posts and all the info is still jostling for position in my nugget.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/rotella-triple-protection/_jcr_content/productDetails.stream/1506812697837/2147cb8044be6d4f1395389696b1892d7dc53646fd0c5d133dd048da1e3ec4a2/t4-triple-protection-brochure.pdf

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Well, there ya have it. Either I missed it, or the specs have changed. Either way, if it has the certification, give it a try if you like.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Here's an interesting site. It seems a bit lacking but here's what it listed for JASO MA oils.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/oiltool/oiltool.php

CASTROL ACT>EVO 4T 10W40

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS MOTEX 4T-X 10W40

EXXONMOBIL MOBIL 1 RACING 4T 15W50

EXXONMOBIL MOBIL EXTRA 4T 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE COMP 4 10W30

FUCHS SILKOLENE COMP 4 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE COMP 4 15W50

FUCHS SILKOLENE COMP 4 20W50

FUCHS SILKOLENE COMP 4 SX 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE PRO 4 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE PRO 4 15W50

FUCHS SILKOLENE PRO 4 PLUS 10W50

FUCHS SILKOLENE PRO 4 PLUS 10W60

FUCHS SILKOLENE PRO 4 PLUS 5W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE PRO 4 SX 15W50

FUCHS SILKOLENE QUAD ATV 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE QUAD ATV 5W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE SCOOT 4 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE SCOOT SPORT 4 5W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE SUPER 4 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE SUPER 4 20W50

FUCHS SILKOLENE SUPER 4 SX 10W40

FUCHS SILKOLENE V-TWIN 20W50

OMV BIXXOL MOTOR BIKE 4T-M 20W50

OMV BIXXOL MOTOR BIKE 4T-S 10W50

Q8 SCOOTER CLASS 10W40

VALVOLINE DURABLEND 4T 10W40

VALVOLINE DURABLEND 4T 20W50

VALVOLINE SYNPOWER 4T 10W40

VALVOLINE SYNPOWER SCOOTER 4T 5W40

30 products matched your query.

We haven't had a good oil thread in a while. Heeeeeeeeee!

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Another good link with lots of info. It's important to know the JASO ratings are from Japan. The MA and MA2 are for use with a wet clutch. I'm not seeing anything in the other ratings for wet clutch use but that doesn't mean they aren't; just that it isn't addressed.

Oil Quality Ratings

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is there a consensus? Is T and T4 the same and is that what everyone is using to mix with T6 these days? Thanks

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
QUESTION.....Why mix? Why not use T-6 by itself? Many here do that, including this guy.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
So is there a consensus? Is T and T4 the same and is that what everyone is using to mix with T6 these days? Thanks
I did that for a long time.

A very good oil is Lucas full synth or semi-synth. Both are JASO MA2 rated. One of our high mileage riders has been running the Lucas full synth 20w50 for a long time now. I'll let him chime in if he wants to.

I think if I lived in a cold weather location I would lean toward the 10w40 and if I lived in the south where it gets over 100 degrees daily then the 20w50 would likely be the better choice but both will work in either location. For daily short distance rides; I'd use the lighter weight oil.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10702-PK6-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/B001OZL9XC[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10710-6PK-Semi-Synthetic-Motorcycle/dp/B009M1LHQE/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520871836&sr=1-4&keywords=lucas+10w40+motorcycle+oil[/ame]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well honestly, I never thought about doing it until I was reading all the posts about it on here. I've been using amsoil forever and it seems like (I have no proof and have never done an oil test) it wears out fast, or whatever word you would use to describe it. The motor gets noisy, shifting gets noticeably clunky or loud. 3 to 4k. I change and it quiets down and shifts better. Now I always have changed oil anyway at 5k so really I don't plan on gaining anything in that dept but since an oil change was due I thought I would read up and see about a change. I never even thought about using T6 (I've been using it for years in my diesel trucks) until I read up on it here. If T6 5w-40 is good and wont cause me an issue in the FL heat then I'm good with it. Thanks man.

QUESTION.....Why mix? Why not use T-6 by itself? Many here do that, including this guy.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Before going to T-6, my engine's lifters would clatter for a while. Since T-6, no more. That's cuz it starts at 5W, so it circulates faster. Being a Diesel engine oil, it has a heavier additive package to protect the innards. And since I'm a frugal type, T-6 is half the price (or less) that MC specific oils. I sent a sample in after inadvertently putting 7K+ miles on it and the report came back saying its in fine condition and there's another 2500 miles left on it. That's good enough for me to want to stay with it.
Re clunky shifting--preload the shifter, shifts will be smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ricz,
I just changed my oil and this is the first time trying T-6 (your recommendation from the Forum) we will see.
Thanks,

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Ricz,
I just changed my oil and this is the first time trying T-6 (your recommendation from the Forum) we will see.
Thanks,
Keep us posted with what you think of it.:nerd

·
12,984 Posts
I used Amsoil for a good 25K and the price started getting to high. Switch to T6 last year and really haven't noticed any difference. Seem to shift about the same and 5K between changes and never uses a drop. Never understood mixing oils. To me it doesn't many any cents

·
Registered
602 Posts
T6

Keep us posted with what you think of it.:nerd
As per your suggestion I to have switched this winter to T6 and I must say...I have ridden 4 times now in 30 degree weather or there abouts....the sun was shining so was close enough to a nice day for an excuse to ride LOL....there was virtually no noisey clicking on start up and ran smooth and quiet....so far very happy with the switch!!!

Ride safe,

Rob

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The vic oil doesn't even have a single certification.

Well, ****. I’m glad I don’t use it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I have a jug of the T6 out in the garage so I looked and yep; it is JASO-MA2 rated but when I look on their website it doesn't show up. Very odd. One would think they would yell it from the rooftops.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
I used Amsoil for a good 25K and the price started getting to high. Switch to T6 last year and really haven't noticed any difference. Seem to shift about the same and 5K between changes and never uses a drop. Never understood mixing oils. To me it doesn't many any cents

I mix T (T4) and T6 because I did the homework and had multiple samples tested and the mix tested best. Looks good and sounds good doesn't mean squat.

I keep a jug for mixing, when it's empty I fill it half way with T6 and the other half with T4. Couldn't be easier and I know it's a 50/50 mix unlike other semi-synthetic mixes you buy off the shelf where you don't know the ratio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your posts/information was the reason I initially considered it. I'll still give it a go I just wanted to make sure T and T4 were the same thing before I did. Thanks man.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts