Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started investigating T5 blend 15w-40 as an alternative to the T and T6 blend I currently use. What what I've read it's JASO MA but they've not had it tested so it's not listed and I believe this considering it's not energy saving or energy conserving and that's the evil additive that messes up the clutch. They had T and T6 tested and didn't want the expense of the testing for T5.

I may try it closer to summer to see how it stands up to the Phoenix 110+ summer heat.

T5 Technical Data sheet
Click

T6 Technical Data Sheet
Click

Triple T Technical Data Sheet
Click

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've never seen the T5 in 15-40 around here, but know we don't see all the blends.
Many of us were using Rotella long before it became JASO certified. It worked fine then too.
Good luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never seen the T5 in 15-40 around here, but know we don't see all the blends.
Many of us were using Rotella long before it became JASO certified. It worked fine then too.
Good luck with it.
Good to hear. No doubt it's fine for the reason I stated above not listed as energy saving.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I just run pure T5, no blending. I've not had it analyzed yet. I wanted to get the engine broke in then analyze it on winter miles because that's where all my tests have done the worse at. I should be testing in a couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I have posted in another thread, the report of the analysis on T6 that went 7,000 miles in my XR. The Lab recommended I go 9,000 mile on it. Good stuff that Rotella.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have posted in another thread, the report of the analysis on T6 that went 7,000 miles in my XR. The Lab recommended I go 9,000 mile on it. Good stuff that Rotella.
Look what it's designed to protect our little motorcycle engines aren't anything compared to the big rigs. It's known as the million mile oil for a reason.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I started using T6 my 1st change I did at 3000 miles and the oil still looked good so I went to 4000 miles then to 5000 miles. I do my oil changes around 5000 miles now but even then the oils not black and I'm having no shifting issues.

I didn't even know T5 was an option so I haven't looked for it, is it less expensive or what's your reason for wanting to try it? My oil changes cost around $50 with T6.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I started using T6 my 1st change I did at 3000 miles and the oil still looked good so I went to 4000 miles then to 5000 miles. I do my oil changes around 5000 miles now but even then the oils not black and I'm having no shifting issues.

I didn't even know T5 was an option so I haven't looked for it, is it less expensive or what's your reason for wanting to try it? My oil changes cost around $50 with T6.
My bike takes 6 qts so I do 4 qts of Rotella T and 2 qts of T6 and had that tested and it looked very good so a pre-made blend would just make sense to me.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've been using the T5 since 1999 on another single oil wet clutch Vtwin and have found it works great. It's a semi-synthetic that was the recommended formula and it's what I'll be going back to in the Vic this spring when the warranty comes off. (I also add 4oz of Lucas ZDDP Break-in oil) With this bike I stuck with the Vic oil since new because I just didn't want any hassles should there be some type of warranty issue. Right now the T5 is hard to find here. I used to get it quite easily across the street from work at a Shell bulk station but they are no-longer. I found another place that will bring it in but of course extra charges will apply. A national chain here, Cdn Tire, advertises they carry it however neither of the local stores do but will order it. I still have a gallon and I'm sure I'll locate more before I need it next summer.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been using the T5 since 1999 on another single oil wet clutch Vtwin and have found it works great. It's a semi-synthetic that was the recommended formula and it's what I'll be going back to in the Vic this spring when the warranty comes off. (I also add 4oz of Lucas ZDDP Break-in oil) With this bike I stuck with the Vic oil since new because I just didn't want any hassles should there be some type of warranty issue. Right now the T5 is hard to find here. I used to get it quite easily across the street from work at a Shell bulk station but they are no-longer. I found another place that will bring it in but of course extra charges will apply. A national chain here, Cdn Tire, advertises they carry it however neither of the local stores do but will order it. I still have a gallon and I'm sure I'll locate more before I need it next summer.
$19.53 a jug with free shipping when you buy a three pack.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rotella-550019907-3PK-10W40-Synthetic-Engine/dp/B006CCWC4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418251827&sr=8-1&keywords=rotella+t5+10w40[/ame]

·
Registered
886 Posts
Shipping is only free from suppliers in the US and usually only to the continental states. The cheapest here is $34.99 providing it's on the shelf. And to add some insult, our dollar is sitting at 87 cents. Ahh, the joys of living in The Great White North.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shipping is only free from suppliers in the US and usually only to the continental states. The cheapest here is $34.99 providing it's on the shelf. And to add some insult, our dollar is sitting at 87 cents. Ahh, the joys of living in The Great White North.
Holy sh** is this for real? It's $12-$15 US a jug.

[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Sopus-Products-Lubrication-550019913-Rotella/dp/B001B16NP8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418264614&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=rotella+oil+t5[/ame]

·
12,970 Posts
vindex1963
you really shouldn't say your bike takes 6qts some one might believe you and put 6 in his

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
vindex1963
you really shouldn't say your bike takes 6qts some one might believe you and put 6 in his
5.5 then I put in five then watch the dipstick I know newer bikes take less.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts