·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many are using this and are there any uoa's for this stright up

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well, I do not know who "Wisdom" is, so we get that out in the open.
I have used T-6 in the last 3 rides with close to 350K on them combined without a hitch. They were water cooled and NO, Victory didn't invent the wet clutch or the combined use of engine/trans use.
Now for the "Wisdom" part. This is my first twin and first air cooled engine in a very long time. "Wisdom" says, or at least used to, theat an air or air/oil cooled engine needs thicker oil. I don't know why or how true it is.
I'm running the T 15W-40 in my XCT right now and have all the complaints I ever had with Rotella---None!
Here is a little reading for you with the UOA.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10611&highlight=Rotella
Read through this, the gent that started it has gone to the T-6.

A little deeper.

http://www.victoryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
I hope the links work
Cheers

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Been using T6 since the first oil change. No problems at all. Shifts great and good clutch action. The wife and I can have a nice dinner out with what I save as opposed to the cost of the Vic kit. Its JASO-MA rated, which means its approved for motorcycles with wet clutches. Go for it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't know why people get so worked up over oil threads they are usually good for a few laughs.
I just switched to T-6 for the first time so for no problems, I also rub mule deer semen on my chest before each ride don't know if it helps but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bet the mule deer has good things to say about you too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have used Shell Oil's T-6 5wt-40 since its inception in my Fatboy, my Goldwing, and my Vision... works great.

PS... @ LostinTexas... there's no up side to 15wt-40 over 5wt-40... it behaves the same at operating temperatures. The upside to 5wt-40 is better lubrication at start-up.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I also rub mule deer semen on my chest before each ride don't know if it helps but it makes me feel better.
How many bucks does that cost ya? :ltr:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only thing that I would caution about the 5w at start-up is that it could cause your lifters to bled down and make some noise. Also, it doesn't lubricate better when cold because it's to thin, which could cause additional wear at start-up. If you don't put that many miles on your bike then a lot of things won't matter. Use what you want.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
The only thing that I would caution about the 5w at start-up is that it could cause your lifters to bled down and make some noise. Also, it doesn't lubricate better when cold because it's to thin, which could cause additional wear at start-up. If you don't put that many miles on your bike then a lot of things won't matter. Use what you want.
T6 is blended for use in Diesel engines which are a lot harder on their oil than spark ignition ones. Some of the additives in engine oils, and especially those for Diesels, are there to coat parts so there will not be a dry start up.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't know why people get so worked up over oil threads they are usually good for a few laughs.
I just switched to T-6 for the first time so for no problems, I also rub mule deer semen on my chest before each ride don't know if it helps but it makes me feel better.
Beats rubbing it off your chin lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ah, an oil thread i like. i use t6 in everything i own except car.
honda rubicon uses it as trans fluid too.2 honda scooters,simplicity
tractor.mobil 1 goes in autos.40 wt on the top end is too much
for them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You are backwards on that. The lighter the viscosity on the Winter weight provides better lubrication at start-up. A higher viscosity oil will actually cause oil pressure to build slower and cause excessive wear.

T6 is blended for use in Diesel engines which are a lot harder on their oil than spark ignition ones. Some of the additives in engine oils, and especially those for Diesels, are there to coat parts so there will not be a dry start up.
Actually, diesels in trucks are not that hard on the oil except for soot loading and fuel dilution. You will not have any soot loading in a gas engine but, if you have fuel dilution and it is not Turbo'd, you have a problem.

Bob

·
Registered
78 Posts
You are backwards on that. The lighter the viscosity on the Winter weight provides better lubrication at start-up. A higher viscosity oil will actually cause oil pressure to build slower and cause excessive wear.

No, When I was riding a stratoliner many people were having problems with lifters bleeding down when the engine cooled. The fix was to replace that 10w40 or 5w40 with a 20w40 or 20w50. I've only read of one victory rider with noisey lifters after start-up so it may not be a problem here, but I'll just stick with a 20w40 oil.
Something else to consider is the amount of cushion provided by the oil. I feel that 1/4 the viscosity ( 5w )would be to thin and do damage to bearings on initial star-up just because the bearing material could be touching. It would be like using a 5w10 oil in the bike only not damage as fast.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Funny this thread started I'm changing out the T6 Saturday and sending in a sample. They (Blackstone) recommended 7500 but I'm good with 5000 and that's where I'm at now. Considering the factory recommends 2500 for my year I'm happy so far with the Rotella.
3rd and final sample.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Funny this thread started I'm changing out the T6 Saturday and sending in a sample. They (Blackstone) recommended 7500 but I'm good with 5000 and that's where I'm at now. Considering the factory recommends 2500 for my year I'm happy so far with the Rotella.
3rd and final sample.
I'm certain you will post your oil analysis results. I'm interested in how this particular oil does comparred to oils that are intended/marketed for gasoline engines.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm certain you will post your oil analysis results. I'm interested in how this particular oil does comparred to oils that are intended/marketed for gasoline engines.
Rotella is a Dual Rated oil for both Diesel and Gasoline provided it has the proper API for the application. You can't use just any oil in any engine, it must carry the proper API.

Bob

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just switched and saved $

Just switched over to T6 5W40 and a WIX filter. $30 thumb up
Last oil change, the Vic "kit" cost me $85 $$ Cha-Ching $$

·
Registered
608 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts