Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought my first bike, it's a 2004 Victory touring cruiser 1507cc w/ 6000 miles on it. It has sat in a garage for the last 2+ yrs and the battery died and I believe the fuel has fouled. Now it spit and sputters and backfires when revved. I read in another thread something about adjusting the fuel mix ratio by using alligator clips or something (I have tried sea foam) once you get it warm it idles but is seriously lacking power. and has to he feathered in order to get it to move at all... I'm an apprentice and looking for advice. I'm willing to take it to the shop, But I'd like to work on it myself if possible.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Thoroughly clean the fuel system including the throttle body...the crap they call fuel these days goes bad when it sits.

Reactions: Dude83

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been working on that. I noticed that my rubber boot below the throttle body is also showing signs of dry rot... (I've been going to the school of YouTube 😅) so today I ordered a new rubber boot, new O-rings for the injectors, new O-rings and gasket for the throttle body, new spark plugs and I'm installing new fuel line and going to attempt to clean the injectors while they are out... visually everything else looks pretty good so once I get it back assembled we will see how it works
I also found a semi loose connection on the battery (that appeared to be making good contact while starting)
Sucks how hard it appears to be just to change the boot.
I do appreciate your advice. I'm an electrician not a mechanic but I do like the challenge...

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Sounds like you're onto it👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you're onto it👍
So I was cleaning out the fuel tank and checking out the fuel filters and decided to power up the fuel pump outside of the tank and found out that it only pumps to about 10psi and that the rest of the pressure is bleeding out where the pump fits in the assembly. There appears to be a grommet or long tube like gasket that has dry rotted and needs replaced
The fuel pump still looks strong but the gasket has failed before it can get to the fuel rail
Problem is... I cant find this grommet in any part breakdowns and dont want to buy a whole fuel pump to replace a $0.10 Part
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
So I was cleaning out the fuel tank and checking out the fuel filters and decided to power up the fuel pump outside of the tank and found out that it only pumps to about 10psi and that the rest of the pressure is bleeding out where the pump fits in the assembly. There appears to be a grommet or long tube like gasket that has dry rotted and needs replaced
The fuel pump still looks strong but the gasket has failed before it can get to the fuel rail
Problem is... I cant find this grommet in any part breakdowns and dont want to buy a whole fuel pump to replace a $0.10 Part
Any ideas?
Can you make one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you make one?
After some forum searches... Yes i found a few people who just cut a small piece of fuel line (around 1") and Jammed it in and it works just as good as the soft rubber original piece. Tried it late last night and it seemed to work perfectly... Just need to get the bike back together and road test it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solved!
Thing Runs great... almost to good 😅
I believe the source of my problems was mainly the fuel pump gasket (causing low fuel pressure) and my rubber boot under the throttle body but after the once over and the tune up... Runs great!
Hope this helps someone in the future

·
Registered
212 Posts
Solved!
Thing Runs great... almost to good 😅
I believe the source of my problems was mainly the fuel pump gasket (causing low fuel pressure) and my rubber boot under the throttle body but after the once over and the tune up... Runs great!
Hope this helps someone in the future
Just a heads up concerning throttle body cleaning. At some point you will notice your idle speed starting to drop. This is usually just the throttle bodies needing cleaning. There is a idle screw that some owners will just adjust to bring up Idle. Don't, for when you do clean them now the idle will be way high. There are a couple of videos on youtube on how to do it. Fairly easy. The one by Witchdoctors they dump a ton of carb cleaner in there which is not a good idea. I would use a rag and wet it with carb cleaner.

Reactions: Dude83
1 - 10 of 10 Posts