Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I lived in New York I would spend my winters going over the bike with a fine tooth comb. Now that we are in Tennessee it's riding time year round, so tire changing time is fine tooth comb time.
The Metzler 888's were done, the "shoulders" created by the hard center made cornering a little sketchy as the bike moved over the ridge
I'll inspect the rear shock system tomorrow, install new brake pads and bleed the brakes when the new sneakers are on.
When I pulled the front wheel I was shocked to see the ABS ring bolts were loose and one was backed out several turns

IMG_0424.jpg
I torqued the bolts to 22 ft lbs

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Damn, that was a disaster...going to happen. I'm glad for you that you caught that.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
How many miles on that tire? Has a little life left in it.

Did you know 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on that tire? Has a little life left in it.

11,000 miles give or take a couple hundred

·
13,188 Posts
most all tires wear out in the center cause where we ride the most.. I like the 888's

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
most all tires wear out in the center cause where we ride the most.. I like the 888's

Agreed. Mine rear is wearing the exact same way. Have 15k on my Michelin Commander II so far. Probably going to run it another 3k then change it.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I'd be putting some blue Loctite on those ABS ring bolts, for additional insurance.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Looking mine over as we are leaving Sat for Johnson City Tn this weekend. Battery died yesterday, so went and got a new one today. Going to change out the 40 amp Cb there by the battery being I'm there. Guess I'll look mine over a little closer on the nut and bolt.

·
13,188 Posts
Why do we have a tire we like and wears good for us switch to another brand that we know nothing about and give up on what we know.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you're a motorcyclist you know the answer.

There's always that itch. The one that drives you to make the bike just that little bit better or different, or at least try to. Prettier, better sounding, shinier, more power, smoother running, better traction on the wet, etc, etc, etc.

When you quit doing that, you're probably done being a biker. You're a rider.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
If you're a motorcyclist you know the answer.

There's always that itch. The one to make the bike just that little bit better or different, or at least try to. Prettier, better sounding, shinier, more power, smoother running, better traction on the wet, etc, etc, etc.

When you quit doing that, you're probably done being a biker. You're a rider.
Well enough should never be left alone. :devil

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why do we have a tire we like and wears good for us switch to another brand that we know nothing about and give up on what we know.
VJ, I can't speak for other folks but I stayed with the Metzler 888's, they have great traction and I got 11,000 miles out of my first set. When I brought the rims to the local shop to have them mount the new rubber he commented that he has seen multiple Metzler tires fail, delaminate. Yikes! I did go up to the higher load rating since I purchased a trunk and my wife rides with me now.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Looking mine over as we are leaving Sat for Johnson City Tn this weekend. Battery died yesterday, so went and got a new one today. Going to change out the 40 amp Cb there by the battery being I'm there. Guess I'll look mine over a little closer on the nut and bolt.
So there will be two Cross Bikes running around NETN this weekend. I am used to being the only one!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Will be up sunday afternoon. WE are thinking about relocating to the area. Maybe look at some areas around Johnson City, Kingsport. Maybe look into what kind of jobs would be available. Hope to do a little riding one day while there.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
The job market (and the riding) in and around Chattanooga is very good. :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Will be up sunday afternoon. WE are thinking about relocating to the area. Maybe look at some areas around Johnson City, Kingsport. Maybe look into what kind of jobs would be available. Hope to do a little riding one day while there.
A lot of Floridians have moved up here in the last 10 years, mainly retirees but not all. Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Chattanooga might be a bit of a haul for a commute. We are looking for a retirement spot. Still have a few years before that, but would lime to settle in.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We relocated from upstate New York to East Tennessee and love it here

1 - 20 of 21 Posts