Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a fairly big deal in some parts of the world; even here in the USA. In places like India and China where they have almost half the world's population between them; this 650 twin is considered a really big bike. Their average motorcycle is around 100cc. They have arcane laws concerning "big bikes" like this so I don't really know how this will play out in those two countries.

Royal Enfield reveals two new 650 twins at EICMA

Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor INT 650 debut

ROYAL Enfield has just revealed two new 650 twins in Milan, the Interceptor INT 650 and Continental GT 650.
They use an identical all-new steel cradle chassis and 648cc parallel-twin air-oil-cooled engine, but the GT (pictured above) is a café racer while the Interceptor conjures ‘1960s fun, relaxed motorcycles from sun-drenched California beaches’, Royal Enfield says.
Claimed power is 47hp – making them suitable for A2 licence holders – while torque is 38lbft.
Un-fuelled weight is 198kg for the Continental GT 650 and 202kg for the Interceptor INT 650.
Presenting the models at the Eicma motorcycle show, Royal Enfield Chief Executive Siddhartha Lal said they would go on sale in Europe first, starting from April 2018, and be offered in markets across the world later in the year.
He said they were the culmination of a near-decade-long project which began as a 600cc twin but grew to a 650 because “we wanted to make sure that we could cross the tonne on this motorcycle".
Royal Enfield Interceptor INT 650.jpg

The Interceptor INT 650
The single overhead cam eight-valve engine has a six-speed gearbox and ‘strong low and mid-range performance, retaining the Royal Enfield character of accessible torque through the rev range’, the firm says.
The Intercept INT 650 has straight, wide, high bars for an upright riding position while the Continental GT 650 has clip-ons for a sportier stance.
They have an 18-inch wire-spoked front wheel, twin shocks, traditional-style Pirelli tyres and a single disc brake front and rear, with ABS.
Mr Lal said: "The Interceptor INT carries forward the Royal Enfield legacy into the 21st century. While in its essence it retains the design and old-school character, it has all the underpinnings of a modern machine.
"It combines agility, usable power, excellent ergonomics and style in an inintimidating manner."
Royal Enfield President Rudratej Singh said of the Continental GT 650: "The GT has been an iconic motorcycle in Royal Enfiield's portfolio. Since its launch [as a 500 single] in 2013, the Continental GT has helped the brand strengthen its position in mature motorcycle markets across the world.
"In its new avatar, the Continental GT 650 is the absolute definitive café racer that will be loved by discerning riders across the world."
It comes after the firm announced the launch of a new 'UK Technical Centre' to be used as a global heaquarters for product development, in Bruntingthorpe Proving Grounds, Leicestershire.
See the new Royal Enfield 650s at Motorcycle Live.
Royal Enfield Continenal GT 650_1.jpg

Royal Enfield Continenal GT 650_2.jpg

Interceptor INT 650_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I think about it; Europe has some arcane laws concerning licensing of motorcycle riders that go by size and weight of the bike. Here in America there's just one level of license above learners permit. In Europe there are several levels.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
If you had an INT650 and wanted to change the color, all you have to do is paint the tank. :)

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These things are really retro too. This style hasn't been around since the 70's.

Upon closer look the high tech shocks and modern braking system along with a newer technology style engine start to stand out.

If these bad boys are priced in the $8k range; I bet they sell like crazy. People will buy them for commuters, especially in year round riding places, then find out how fun they are and tell their friends. Next thing ya know a new craze is born along with a new aftermarket parts explosion.

Time will tell I suppose....

·
Registered
888 Posts
Europe's motorcycle laws aren't arcane to Europeans and successfully produce a population of riders that are far superior to the skills of the average rider in NA. A bit of those graduated learning processes for new riders certainly wouldn't hurt here.

$8k is a lot of money to the majority in Asia but rich kids in will always have the toys others can't afford. Yeah, they'll sell but certainly not anywhere close to the numbers of the sub-350's. Those go to the general populace who are only interested in transportation that's reliable and cheap to own and operate.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Europe's motorcycle laws aren't arcane to Europeans and successfully produce a population of riders that are far superior to the skills of the average rider in NA. A bit of those graduated learning processes for new riders certainly wouldn't hurt here.

$8k is a lot of money to the majority in Asia but rich kids in will always have the toys others can't afford. Yeah, they'll sell but certainly not anywhere close to the numbers of the sub-350's. Those go to the general populace who are only interested in transportation that's reliable and cheap to own and operate.
There ya go; being all logical and practical.

As far as better riders go in Europe; I guess their process would wean out the riders who shouldn't be riding bikes over a certain size and some who shouldn't ride at all. We've all seen them.

I knew a retired grandma once who figured she could do anything anyone else could so she bought a Dyna and got her learners permit thinking it couldn't be hard. She dropped the bike many times on her one day ride. Fortunately she had company on their bikes who did know what they were doing. She finally bit her pride and sold the bike never riding it again. She found a nice guy somewhere and never rode again. I met her when she dated a guy I knew who took her on day rides with a group. They made it look easy so I guess she figured she could do it too after seeing other older women riders. I stayed in sporadic contact with her until she found her "nice guy" and settled down (again). I think she went through a bad divorce and felt she had something to prove.

My experience living in a town of active seniors is bold older women will try to ride and usually go down at the worst time like during a parade ride or funeral ride. They should just get a Corvette like any guy going through the same thing.

Men aren't the only ones to go through things like a mid-life crisis.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
The Royal Enfield 500s have been around for quite some time now and we have a dealer here, but its extremely rare to see one, even at large MC events. I think their appeal is to the oldsters, like myself, who remember when they were a contemporary bike. They sell at a very affordable price point, but younger folks shun them for a number of reasons. If I had the room in the garage (wife's stuff) it would have been occupied long ago by one of those vintage looking REs complete with a pedestrian splitter on the front fender.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
looks decent

kinda like the 70 bonneville i once had in 70, similar power but better brakes + suspension on the enfield. if its cheap +fairly reliable + vibrates less than my bonnie it will do well, availability + dealerships will come into play as well as how it actually feels when riding. i would love a 650 cc under 400 lb that was a good ride like my G650GS thumper thats surprisingly peppy +very easy to ride on of mild offroading!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts