Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably wind up buying the tach for my V8B but for now, I'm trying to make sure I don't do anything to strain my engine. Riding my 84 Maxim was easy with a 9500 redline. Just crank it until your ears (and arms) hurt and then shift up. :D

Anyway, can anyone with a stock (100 c.i. 5 spd) Vegas tell me what their tach reading is in the different gears? Like so:

1st
20mph =
30mph =

2nd
30mph =
40mph =

3rd
40mph =
50mph =

4th
50mph =
60mph =

5th
50mph =
60mph =
70mph =
80mph =

Just help me fill in the blanks and I'll edit this as I get details.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've always shifted everything I've ever owned by ear. If it sounds like your turning to many rpms, you probably are. But, I was curious and started flipping through the ol' owners manual. It gives you speeds that you should be shifting at instead of rpms. Hmm, that's pretty handy if you don't have a tach and really need something to tell you when to shift. These numbers seem a little on the low side for when I normally shift though. I think I probably add another 5mph for each gear starting with the 2nd-3rd jump. It just depends on how you're riding. You obviously don't want to rap it out every time you jump on it though.

Upshifting
1st-2nd 18mph
2nd-3rd 30mph
3rd-4th 40mph
4th-5th 50mph

Downshifting
5th-4th 35mph
4th-3rd 25mph
3rd-2nd 15mph
2nd-1st 10mph

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably not asking this right. I've read what the manual says especially the 50mph recommendation for 5th gear. That seems to be the bare minimum as even slight inclines lead to some chugging.

I don't want this thread to be a debate about what's the "best" shift ranges. I'm not looking for opinions, just facts. I just want to know plainly, what rpm level is the engine turning at for different speeds. Just consider it curiousity from someone who doesn't own a tach.

Just a "When I'm driving at 50mph in 5th gear, my tach is reading x,xxx" would help a lot.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.