Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 hammer premium I bought last year. Back in the fall I had a problem of the bike idling higher than usual. When I pulled in the clutch or put it in neutral, the rpms surge up and down a 4 or 5 times before the engine idles high. What could be causing this?
I suspect it could be gas related. the issue just started happening again today when I filled up the tank with some 93 octane. Before that, I had it filled with some ethenaol free gas. (I decided against going with the ethenaol free because it is only 85 octane)
Any clues would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When was the last time you cleaned the throttle body? When I had a steel frame, mine were cleaned every oil change. Of you have not, this might be your culprit.

Ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
368 Posts
Loose battery connections etc???

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
When was the last time you cleaned the throttle body? When I had a steel frame, mine were cleaned every oil change. Of you have not, this might be your culprit.
That's for the pre 08 models. His 09 jackpot does not need it.

I have a 2009 hammer premium I bought last year. Back in the fall I had a problem of the bike idling higher than usual. When I pulled in the clutch or put it in neutral, the rpms surge up and down a 4 or 5 times before the engine idles high. What could be causing this?
I suspect it could be gas related. the issue just started happening again today when I filled up the tank with some 93 octane. Before that, I had it filled with some ethenaol free gas. (I decided against going with the ethenaol free because it is only 85 octane)
Any clues would be much appreciated.
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Spray aerosol around the throttle bodies, and see if you get an RPM change, while the bike is idling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked and I have good battery connections. What is different about 09s and newer that they don't need to have the throttle cleaned?
So if the engine does sure while spraying aerosol around the throttle bodies, what does that mean? What does a vacuum leak mean?

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
you are sucking air is what that means. crack in gasket ,loose bolt, rubber hose cracked sucking air. This will lead to rough idle and will make it hard for engine management to set parameters for air and gas mixture. When you spray around a area while it is idling, the engine speeds up or slows down. This will show you in the right location to look or your leak..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts