Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took an advanced motorcycle safety course (the military requires us to do this now) and while I was in the course we had to navigate around cones keeping the throttle at a constant rpm. What I noticed was that the bike could not maintain it, it seemed like it wanted to shut off on me. The RPMs would dip to 850 and then level back off. While playing with the throttle during the course if I would bring the throttle forward just a little bit the bike would jolt forward (like if I had released the throttle all at once). What could be causing this? does there need to be a throttle adjustment? does it need to run richer? any pointers would be great

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Year and model bike?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
It is the nature of the Vic engine... Advance timing wheel and idle air valve is supposed to help. I have 1/4 throttle and ATS from lloydz and I no longer have that issue. I say 1/4 throttle only because I installed both at the same time so not sure which fixed the issue.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
yeah they can be a little inconsistent down low in stock tune.
Timing wheel and IAV may clean it up a bit, but the open road beats traffic cones anyday.
Maybe do the cones on a different bike?....there's a lot of weight in limbo if these things stall out while turning slow...hard to defy gravity whilst stationary.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i will agree with travis that the 1/4 turn throttle ring helped take the slop out of the cable, also the nature of the motor in stock form doesnt like the low rpm rolling state, i had problems coming off of h-d in the beginning, but after ats, cams, filters, pipe, throttle ring and practice its decent down low now, still not like a h-d at that rpm, but decent...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Where were you trying to hold the RPM's and were you popping it up to them? Mine doesn't seem to have the problem and if it did I blamed it on myself. Doesn't mean something int happening though.
I always went by engine sound and after coming off a boxer 6, to a twin, there is about as much difference as it gets. Been riding the bike for long?
I agree a tuner and air filter will cure some ills, but too much unknown about your situation. Practice, practice and practice. Sounds like this was a new drill for you or you on the bike anyway.
Kind of hard to really figure some of the subtle things out over the internet.

Cheers and Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Slow speed maneuvering is easier for me to control by keeping the rpm's up and slipping the clutch while using the back brake. Maybe you are too low in the rpm range?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Slow speed maneuvering is easier for me to control by keeping the rpm's up and slipping the clutch while using the back brake. Maybe you are too low in the rpm range?
Same advice here when I do the parking lot maneuvers with my gold wing buddies. A couple quests is how warm was the bike and when you say dip it dipped from what RPm? Maybe a lil too much play in the cables but it almost sounds like the IAV for the most part. I do have the 1/4 ring and ATS on my vision and if I stay at low rpms before the engine gets good and warm the IAV will give it that dip every once in a while then recover. Do what Tarzan does above and I have no issues cold or not hence why I have yet to spend the 80 bucks on the IAV.

Post some feedback if you experiment.

Safe ridin. Timthumb up

·
13,247 Posts
Its your Idle Air Valve that is causing the problem. Vic uses a vacuum one and it sucks the only thing you can do is change it for Lloydz IAV witch is adjustable. Am guessing you were blipping the throttle while doing the ride and Vic motors don't like blipping.
Timing wheel and 1/4 turn are good parts but will only change your hesitation by a very little bit

http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000078

1 - 10 of 10 Posts