Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've run into a concern installing an RPW 2 into 1 exhaust and RPW is closed today. Looking for some clarification from someone whose addressed a step in the process.

When installing the main exhaust, Step 6 in the instructions calls for you to remove the swing arm pivot shaft nut and a lower frame bolt. In step 7 the new frame bracket is positioned over the swing arm bolt and hole in the frame. They supply a new bolt for the frame.

They say to take off the swing arm nut to position the bracket over the stud. The swing arm stud has two different thread sizes on the end. One to hold the swing arm in place and a small end-thread which held the muffler support. The depth of the bracket will go over the larger threads and leave the smaller threads to hold the bracket in place. That is also the way it looks in the instructions. With the thickness of the upper bracket support there is no way the same swing arm nut is going back on.

Here's my concern. Removing the 23mm swing arm pivot shaft nut torqued at 65 lb-ft and replacing it with a spacer and a 17mm nut torqued at 35 lb-ft just doesn't seem correct. That is what's holding the rear half of the bike in place.

Am I missing something here or this a potential problem? Seems to me the swing arm nut should stay in place and the 17mm nut would just hold the bracket in place as it did on the original. If that's the case I don't see the reasoning of the additional space on the upper arm of the new bracket.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

http://rpwusa.net/big-deal-exhaust-install-instructions/

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin. I was certain the instructions were a bit out of whack and the large one should stay exactly as is. The 17mm held on the original exhaust and that's the way I was planning on putting it back with the new bracket. Does seem strange though that nobody has brought this up before and corrected it. Perhaps it works for an older bike? Following the instructions I 4k'd up my fins as well so some sanding and polishing is to follow. I'll do as I planned with the exhaust and contact RPW next week with a couple of suggestions to amend the paperwork they supply.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts