Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an o8 kingpin and i am looking to buy the rpw slash exhaust ,does anyone have some info on these pipes? How do they sound,look performence and is there alot of popping with these pipes? do these pipes come with everything you need like a flashcard and all hardwear? I like the ones that are half chrome and half black !! any info would be great before i make this purshase!! do they have a nice rumble to them ,because i am looking to get some good sound out of them!! thanks!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the RPW Big Slash, and I think it is hands down the best sounding pipe I have ever owned. I went with the black, and at first look, the ceramic was great. After installing and going over them closely. The coating is just okay. From a distance it is great. If you really look close, you can see some minor imperfections. You'll have to buy a separate down load from the dealer or get a tuner. I went with the download card RPW suggested in the instructions , and it runs perfectly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the slash on my highball. They are a great sounding pipe with a nice deep sound at idle and a roar when you grab the throttle. I ordered directly from R.P.W. I also went with the Lloyd's fuel tuner and that unit is very easy to use and adjust.

My advice is give RPW a call, they are very nice and helpful. Also, if you get the Lloyd's tuner, he is very knowledgable and can help with that part.

One other thing, if you install the exhaust and fire it up without the tuner it is extremely loud. I panicked when I heard the sound but after tuner they are great!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
torch is the tuner the samething as a flash card? is the flashcard going to help if the pipes are to loud? or do you need both?

·
Registered
46 Posts
torch is the tuner the samething as a flash card? is the flashcard going to help if the pipes are to loud? or do you need both?
No, you could do either but the nice thing about a fuel tuner is you can make further adjustments should you ever decide to make additional mods like air intakes for example. As for my comment earlier about how loud they were, I assume this was because the bike was way to lean after changing pipes. Tuned right these pipes sound great as long as quiet is not what you are going for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
torch,thanks that was the help i needed! I called a victory dealer about the install they told me its going to be around $400 for the flashcard,k&n filter vented air box cover and labor for install!! I like the rpw pipes that are half chrome and half black i went on there site the pic is there but i didnt see were you can click to order them does anyone have these pipes or know anything about them? I love that look my bike is mostly black but i do have a little chrome so i think it will look awsome!!!! Torch i am looking to get some good sound out of them pipes i still have the factory ones on and i am due for an upgrade!! Torch will i feel an increase in power at all with those pipes??(I think those pipes are black ceramic with chrome heat shields you can see them at conquest customs)!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
halfcrazy those sound great!!! are those rpw pipes? I wonder if i would get a sound like that from the slash ones?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
halfcrazy those sound great!!! are those rpw pipes? I wonder if i would get a sound like that from the slash ones?
Yes, RPW Slash, that's why I posted it in this thread about the RPW slash exhaust... Baffles are as delivered (unmodified).

Here's an old video of them from the track...

·
Registered
46 Posts
torch,thanks that was the help i needed! I called a victory dealer about the install they told me its going to be around $400 for the flashcard,k&n filter vented air box cover and labor for install!! I like the rpw pipes that are half chrome and half black i went on there site the pic is there but i didnt see were you can click to order them does anyone have these pipes or know anything about them? I love that look my bike is mostly black but i do have a little chrome so i think it will look awsome!!!! Torch i am looking to get some good sound out of them pipes i still have the factory ones on and i am due for an upgrade!! Torch will i feel an increase in power at all with those pipes??(I think those pipes are black ceramic with chrome heat shields you can see them at conquest customs)!!!
Call R.P.W. directly, don't no the number off hand just google the company. Tell them what you want as far as black and chrome, they will get ya what you need. I also bought the Lloyd's tuner from them. You can do the install yourself, it is as easy as following directions and using basic tools...no need for a dealer if you go this route.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Torch dont you have to cut some piece off the bike to be able to install these pipes? how hard is the tuner to work with is it plug and play? and the exhaust do you think its not that hard to install at home,do they come with good directions on install? I am pretty handy but i never messed with an exhaust!!! do they supply a new gasket for the pipes? I am going to call them tommorrow and get more info!! did you also install a K&n filter and a vented air box? if so were did you buy them from, did you get a good price? do you not recommend the ceramic pipes? what is the difference between the ceramic ones and the black ones? thanks!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Torch dont you have to cut some piece off the bike to be able to install these pipes? how hard is the tuner to work with is it plug and play? and the exhaust do you think its not that hard to install at home,do they come with good directions on install? I am pretty handy but i never messed with an exhaust!!! do they supply a new gasket for the pipes? I am going to call them tommorrow and get more info!! did you also install a K&n filter and a vented air box? if so were did you buy them from, did you get a good price? do you not recommend the ceramic pipes? what is the difference between the ceramic ones and the black ones? thanks!!!
Yes, you do cut off the frame rail where the it bends upward holding the existing exhaust mounts in place. Very easy with a dremmel tool with a cut off attachment or you could use a hacksaw. The tuner is plug and play. The pipes do not come with new gasket but you can use existing or buy new. Newer model bikes all have a solid gasket that you can use over and over. Some prefer to order the older style which is softer and seals better from what I am told. I kept existing newer ones. I am still running stock intake though that will change down the road at some point. Stock works just fine in my opinion though. The ceramic pipes are the black ones. Hope that answers your questions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Torch, i just spoke with scott from conquest customs on the rpw pipes he told me he thinks the freedom performance pipes are better quality! do you know anything about these pipes or what is your opinion on these like sound and performance?

·
Registered
396 Posts
shooter,
i have the rpw black slash w/chrome heat shields
on my jackpot they look and sound great.
just a heads up if you want to save about $100.00
order them from metric thunder...thumb up

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are those pipes to close to the ground that they kick up alot of dirt and sand? how about the noise level due to the pipes facing the ground ?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
are those pipes to close to the ground that they kick up alot of dirt and sand? how about the noise level due to the pipes facing the ground ?
Yes, they blow dust up. At full tilt they are loud to the rider and brutal to someone next to you. At idle and cruise they are mellow. At a stop they will get your pants leg pretty hot if your pants are loose enough that they are against the pipes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I suppose they can blow up dust though I have never noticed it happening so I can assume that this no problem. As for pointing towards the ground I think this helps make them sound deep and mean.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with the rpw big slash in black ceramic from metric thunder! Guys i spoke with a buddy of mine thats been working on bikes for over 35 years and he told me that 99% of newer bikes dont need a tuner or reflash because the bikes computer after 20 or 30 miles it will adjust itself for the new pipes that got installed! He said he has installed a few 100 exhausts and only had an issue with 2 or 3 of them! He said its something the dealers dont tell you and you end up spending more $ for nothing! I am very confused but he has been doing this for a long time i think i believe him! I called a local vic dealer and told them this story and the guy said he wasnt really sure if the bikes computer would take care of itself with the new pipes , so with that answer i am kind of believing my friend wat do you guys think of this? I am going to try installing them with out the tuner an see wat happens. My friend said at the first 10 to 20 miles they wont sound right but the computer will adjust itself i hope he is right!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
He's not as smart as you think he is... You just like what he has to say because you can save a buck...

You do just pipes and have an identical bike do pipes, fuel controller, and, a good tune.... You will get your ass handed to ya.

If it's not right, what is it?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Half crazy are you talking about speed or power? If you are thats really not that important to me i am just looking to get a better sound and look for the bike! I mean if i wanted speed i would have not bought a vic bike! maybe a hyabusa and hand everyones ass back to them!!LOL! I am not into speed at all!!! If i get a little better performance than great if not its ok too!! I dont think my buddy would be lying to me he has nothing to lose or win with that! Has anyone gave their new pipes a chance to run for a while without a tuner? If so i would like to hear from ya! The dealer when i called them on this did not give me a real answer ,thats why i am on the fence about having the tuner done. My friend worked for a dealer for many years i think he knows wat he is talking about he has no reason to bullshit me .There might be a chance he is wrong but even the vic dealer could not give me a straight answer and thats wats got me thinking!! just saying!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts