Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, wondering if there might be anything I can do to help restore my RPW slash exhaust (Porcelain) back to black? I've heard to use oven cleaner, water and scrubbing most definitively doesn't work. I was thinking that repainting and or wrapping may be the best choice. It seems like the rear jug header is more rusty colored than the front, not sure if that means anything.

Thanks all,

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
If they run lean and the mixture is not right from change from the stock set up, Then yes the pipes get glowing cherry red when you ride it. Dyno is a way to check if you are running to lean. This is why most after market pipes have a second layer over top of the pipe. It could be a pipe in a pipe or a shield. If it is ceramic, which means glass do not know why it would be rusty looking..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike runs ok IMO, hardly any backfiring and its supposedly been tuned with the S&S chip. The pipes never "glow hot" its just the discoloration i noticed when washing the bike yesterday. They came on the bike and i bought it used im assuming the pipes are 4 years old.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The bike runs ok IMO, hardly any backfiring and its supposedly been tuned with the S&S chip. The pipes never "glow hot" its just the discoloration i noticed when washing the bike yesterday. They came on the bike and i bought it used im assuming the pipes are 4 years old.
"hardly ever backfires"??

In over 7,000 miles, mine has NEVER backfired.

Get a proper tune.

Go to a Victory dealer and ask for the "Shotgun tune". That's what my old dealer had discovered was the perfect setup (I too have the black RPWs), and eliminated backfiring and popping on every customer's bike.

The only discoloration I have on my pipes is from my jeans hitting the pipes (one spot where they rub while riding, and one spot where they seem to touch when I'm at a stop).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"hardly ever backfires"??

In over 7,000 miles, mine has NEVER backfired.

Get a proper tune.

Go to a Victory dealer and ask for the "Shotgun tune". That's what my old dealer had discovered was the perfect setup (I too have the black RPWs), and eliminated backfiring and popping on every customer's bike.

The only discoloration I have on my pipes is from my jeans hitting the pipes (one spot where they rub while riding, and one spot where they seem to touch when I'm at a stop).
What air cleaner are you running? I have the S&S... Dealer tuned and installed both this and the exhaust.

Another thing- I have an 08 CLOSED LOOP fuel system alot of folks have issues with backfiring occasionally...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts