Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case this is helpful for anyone curious.

I measured the SPL of my bike at idle before and after installation of the RPW Thor pipes. The absolute numbers are not as meaningful as the relative, since I measured in a garage so there are sound reflections etc. I did measure in the exact same position before and after and with the same device.

Stock 2011 exhaust: 94dB
RPW Thor exhaust: 104dB

FYI, 10 dB is a LOT. Remember, 3 dB is technically twice the power, so 10 is more than noticeable.

More importantly though is that the idle seems quiet compared to a little throttle blip. It makes people jump. It sounds good though, but I'm still planning on building a baffle to quiet it down some.

Hope this is informative to someone.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
notta problem man

·
Registered
7 Posts
RPW Thor

Hi there, was your baffling effective to reduce the noise and did it increase/decrease performance? I need a performance pipe that is not too loud. Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey peanuts. Yes, the custom baffle was *very* effective at bringing the SPLs down. They are still much higher than stock, especially under WOT, but idle and partial throttle is not nearly as deafening as I felt the Thor was out of the box.

Torque increased since I used a perforated constrictor which increases flow velocity and helps with scavenging. It hurts top end as the compromise but for street riding and on a torquey motor I felt this was fine. The top end is still better than stock, of course.

Everything being relative, I can't say if you will find the Thor too loud out of the box. It was for me, but there are others who think it is perfect. Give it a try, and then do a baffle if it ends up being too loud. The nice thing about my baffle is that it's removable- not a permanent change.

Here's a pic of what it looked like before installation inside the existing core (it's located right before the endcap):

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thats the baffle of a thor pipe?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it's the custom baffle I built. It fits inside the existing Thor straight-through baffle core.
It's basically two Vance and Hines baffles welded together end to end, and swaged at one end so that it fits snug and doesn't rattle around. Wrapped in fiberglass baffle material and ss wire to hold it all together.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Do you have video of the thor's so we can hear the sound before and after ? I have a 2011 KP and am looking at the RPW Big Slash or Thor and i am concerned about the sound & performance.

Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry buddy I didn't take video of the before, and haven't done the after either. I can, but not for a few days as I'm slammed at work right now. I'll post it up here when I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts