1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I guess I better look at the rubbers on my Kingpin, it is also a 2008. That's looking pretty rough.

·
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing I own wanting to prevent it

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use liquid silicone on my latex drysuit seals and it works wonders. I'm sure it would do the same for other rubber products.

Reactions: 53canuck

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Yes anything that is petroleum based and is designed to penetrate rubber,

Vaseline / spray liquids silicon / etc all would kinda work ....

Sent from my A51w using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the petroleum based things...they tend to break down rubber, making it gummy. Silicone is not petroleum based and does not break down rubber products.

Reactions: 53canuck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Most rubbers come pre lubed.:laugh Silicone spray will help keep rubber products soft and pliable.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Stay away from petroleum based products. They will get absorbed, expand and deteriorate rubber.

Dielectric grease is silicone and doesn't degrade rubber. Before seal beams, back when headlights had rubber boots on them to prevent water getting in we used dielectric grease on the connector as well as the rubber boot. Kept them protected so they stayed soft and molded to the headlight casing. Doesn't deteriorate the insulation nor the connectors in electronic equipment. Silicone grease is also what plumbers use to keep O rings protected.

If it's really dried out you can also mix in a bit of glycerin. Silicone won't be absorbed, glycerin will.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I am rehabbing and old Enduro and I have been using dielectric grease in attempts to save a bunch of the 43 year old rubber bits. Works pretty good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts