Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You know better than to ride around trucks any longer than absolutely necessary, but a far more insidious danger is the unprofessional vacationista whose load-securing skills are often primitive. Whenever you see somebody towing a boat, a trailer, or especially a boat or a trailer with a bunch of other junk strapped onto or around it, expect this to happen and ride accordingly, i.e., nowhere around it. Especially not behind it. That goes double for the bane of Southern California motorists, the gardening truck, which is often a rolling obstacle course of weedwackers, rakes, and aluminum ladders yearning to break free. If you see someone holding a mattress to his roof with one hand out the window, know you’ll be the one most likely to take a nap if you’re silly enough to ride behind him

This rider got back up; we wish him a speedy recovery.
Read more about Rule #57: Do Not Ride Behind Morons at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
We saw in that video yesterday a moron riding behind a moron with terrible results. I trust no load and I get the hell away from 18 wheelers--I don't want them anywhere near me, even in a car. Those are 18 grenades just waiting to go off. I will not tailgate. I maintain a "safety cushion" even if that means cars might move into that gap--I'll just drop back a bit. I ride so I get to Point B safe and alive, preserving what little I may have left.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Big Fines here for unsecured loads means less accidents looking for somewhere to happen.
It's strictly enforced too.
That said I quickly got past a lumbering Ute overloaded with garden rubbish flicking sticks and leaves in a trail behind him the other day.
18 wheelers and B doubles I will use as a Roo bar if I have to travel at night in the bush.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lefidiots

I believe this is a symptom of Lefidiots (left lane idiots, or Ridiots - right lane idiots in AUS/UK/etc) disease. These maroons actually believe towing something at 70 or 80 mph (120/130kph) in the left (or right) / fast lane is both a good and correct idea. I've watched lidiots tow trailers with 12inch wheels at 80mph only to have one of their tires (tyres)self destruct in front of me destroying the thin rolled fender(wing) in the process. Sadly their stupidity puts too many of us a risk and they are too stupid to care!:frown

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Vacation season is awful too. You get those guys hauling their campers behind their diesel pickups, meandering through mountains, holding up a half dozen vehicles and pointedly ignoring the slow vehicle turnouts. As soon as they hit a straight, they roll coal and start running 15 over, so you're stuck behind them whether you like it or not, unless you're okay with riding stupid fast till you hit the next pass. Whether I am willing depends on how long I've been stuck behind them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts