Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any aftermarket company make a kit to convert the front turn signal lights to a running light/turn signal function and a run, turn, brake light function with red lenses for the rear turn signals...like the kit HD offers for their bikes? It would be a nice upgrade especially if it had a single control module for all the additional lighting functions.

Tech23

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Does any aftermarket company make a kit to convert the front turn signal lights to a running light/turn signal function and a run, turn, brake light function with red lenses for the rear turn signals...like the kit HD offers for their bikes? It would be a nice upgrade especially if it had a single control module for all the additional lighting functions.Tech23
Tech23, just a quick background note: I added Rivco mirrors this year, and it was a very involved process, including adding a trailer isolator. You can read about (and look at pics of) my work in this loooong page I wrote, here: http://www.billanddot.com/adding-rivco-led-mirrors.html .

These mirrors have LEDs on both sides, such that the forward-facing (amber) ones function as running lights (except when they're functioning as turn signals). I had at least some of the same thoughts as you, I think: why not use those bright LEDs as running lights, which the X bikes don't have.

After doing that work, for $25 I decided to give it a shot -- to have not only the added mirrors as running lights, but also to have the front turn signals function that way. That is, I bought a Blinker Genie ( http://www.customled.com/products/magic_blinker/magic_blinker.htm ) from CustomLED. I could NOT get this to work satisfactorily. The brightness of the stockers was a mere shadow of their former selves... even using power from the isolator.

Bottom lines:

Front: lotsa luck.

Rear: haven't experimented with them, don't know of any products with different lens, etc., but then I have an XCT, so at least I have the trunk light as an extra running light.

BTW, on my Burgman 650, which used incandescent bulbs, I actually replaced the sockets in the front turn signals with different sockets, added a power wire, and replaced the on/off bulbs with on/off/running-light ones. I didn't invent that mod, but I helped perfect it, with some other folks on a Burger forum. IMHO, it's ridiculous to waste the capability of running lights, when a bike has turn signals and power already present.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm in contact with Custom Dynamics about this. They are working on an adapter that will allow the use of the front turn signals on the XC to be used as both running lights and turn signals. I don't think it will be plug-n-play like the ones for Harley, but anything is a step in the right direction. I wasn't given a release date, but hopefully it will be soon.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in contact with Custom Dynamics about this. They are working on an adapter that will allow the use of the front turn signals on the XC to be used as both running lights and turn signals. I don't think it will be plug-n-play like the ones for Harley, but anything is a step in the right direction. I wasn't given a release date, but hopefully it will be soon.
I would think any kit that adds additional lighting would be a big seller. I'd really like to see a kit that adds front running lights and rear running lights/brake lights including red turn signal lenses.

Tech23

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I can see a reason why they weren't done that way, and a potential issue to having the blinkers become a running light. They are LED, and while LEDs are great (brighter, lower consumption, last forever), they also put out more heat (on the PC board side). If anybody tries this, keep a very close eye (or nose) on burning plastic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Custom Dynamics makes a kit for Harley that replaces the turn signal bulbs with LED boards. IIRC, there are 48 LEDs on their boards. The kit converts the LED boards to 100% brightness all the time, and on/off flash for turn signals. I've used this kit in my last 2 Harleys with no issues. The Victory has considerably fewer LEDs, so I wouldn't foresee any issues.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Custom Dynamics makes a kit for Harley that replaces the turn signal bulbs with LED boards. IIRC, there are 48 LEDs on their boards. The kit converts the LED boards to 100% brightness all the time, and on/off flash for turn signals. I've used this kit in my last 2 Harleys with no issues. The Victory has considerably fewer LEDs, so I wouldn't foresee any issues.
My guess is the PCB they're mounted on cannot sustain the heat if they're always on. The tail light is a running light, and it's LED, and it's fine, but it was designed that way.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My guess is the PCB they're mounted on cannot sustain the heat if they're always on. The tail light is a running light, and it's LED, and it's fine, but it was designed that way.
I thought that one of the benefits of LEDs is that they didn't generate heat. I'm not arguing with you, just trying to understand.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I thought that one of the benefits of LEDs is that they didn't generate heat. I'm not arguing with you, just trying to understand.
They put out significantly lower heat towards the lens when compared to a bulb. So there will not be an issue there. But they do get hot at their point of connection, so a PC board not designed to handle an LED turned on for an extended period of time, will start melting/burning. Usually heatsinks are built on the back for LEDs that are designed to stay on for long periods of time.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Heat:

Well, yep, compared to incandescent bulbs, LEDs are generally brighter, last much longer, can handle vibration better, are instant on (e.g., eliminate the ever-so-small time lag of turn-signals going on), use much less power, and probably a few other benefits.

However, they do put out heat. Attached is pic of the halogen bulb I replaced with an LED on the Motolights, when I had them on my Burgman. I did this to give the alternator a brake: 2 x 35 watts, vs. 2 x 5 watts. But notice the heat-sink finning on the LED version. I also have a couple of LEDs overhead in my garage, as replacements for old-time bulbs. Much brighter, fewer watts, but those, too, have big-time fins.

Turn Signals:

What CR is talking about is mentioned at Custom LED's site. On their Blinker Genie page ( http://www.customled.com/products/magic_blinker/magic_blinker.htm ) there's a link to the installation doc, http://www.customled.com/Custom_LED_Magic_Blinker_-_Instructions.pdf . At the bottom of that document is their discussion of "overdriving" LEDs and their caution about watching for heat buildup. I've attached a screen grab of that.

Although I wasn't familiar with overdriving before, after my experimentation (see earlier post) I believe Victory does this with the LEDs, at least on the front of the X bikes. As I say, using completely isolated power for the Genies, the running-light brightness was way too low.

If Custom Dynamics solves this issue -- I dunno, with higher volts, a custom replacement circuit board, etc. -- great, more power to them. That's a great company, I've purchased stuff from them before, and unless the price is astronomical I'd buy this product from them, too (even with mirror-based running lights already). So, keep us posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
So, y'all are saying that this product from Custom Dynamics cannot and/or should not be used? Don't know - just asking.

Speaking for myself, I don't know. If that product -- http://www.customdynamics.com/eclipze_module.htm -- makes the front signals into dim running lights, and then brightens them to stock mode when the turn signals are on, then I think you'll find that that the dimmer mode is really too dim. At least, that was the experience I had with a similar product... but it was only similar, not identical, so you may have better luck. OTOH, if you give it a shot and it doesn't work, at least you won't be out a lot of money.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the explanations, guys. Good stuff

Custom Dynamics has a product in their current catalog that I thought would work. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and look at the Eclipse2 Turn Signal Converter:

http://www.customdynamics.com/truflex_flexible_led_lighting.htm

This is the product that started my most recent discussion with them. They are coming out with the Eclipse3 converter, which includes a load equalizer. They said the Eclipse3 would work on the front turn signals of the XC. They said the E2 would not work.

Edit: Roadrocket, it's my understanding (but not confirmed from CD) that the Eclipse2 converter puts the running light function on at full brightness.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
So, y'all are saying that this product from Custom Dynamics cannot and/or should not be used? Don't know - just asking.

I CAN attest to the fact that these DO work. I have used them on various LEDs in custom applications but never on a Victory.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I CAN attest to the fact that these DO work. I have used them on various LEDs in custom applications but never on a Victory.
I wonder what the mA draw is of the LED turn signals. If this does work without overdriving the LED's we would still need red lens's or clear lens's with red LED's to be legal.

Tech23

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I've always used a load equalizer as they won't flash without it. As fir lenses no need to change anything. Yellow in the front and red in the rear. I've also run smoke lense with color LEDs.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've always used a load equalizer as they won't flash without it. As fir lenses no need to change anything. Yellow in the front and red in the rear. I've also run smoke lense with color LEDs.
If we're on the same page here -- converting turn signals to running lights as well as turn signals -- then note that, at least on my '12 XCT, the rear turn signal lenses are amber (yellow), just like the front. And it's my understanding (possibly wrong, as always) that (some?/most?/all?) states require rear running lights to be red only (while the turn signal function can be either red or amber). So, what Tech says...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts