Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it advisable to run gas additives through my bike on some sort of regular basis to keep the injectors clean?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Is it advisable to run gas additives through my bike on some sort of regular basis to keep the injectors clean?
I run Seafoam

Does it work? Damn sure does. The first time I changed the airfilter on my Triumph 1050 Tiger I opened the butterfly valve and was shocked by the deposits in the intake. Started in with the Seafoam, a couple ounces every couple of weeks in a full tank and in the 6000 miles between air filter cleanings it cleaned it right up. I've always been a fan but that experience just cemented my experience.

I follow the same schedule with the Vic, couple OZ's every couple of weeks in a full tank.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
A friend who races vintage cars asked the guys who flow tested and rebuilt his injectors for one of his cars how often you should run cleaners such as seafoam etc through your fuel system. He was told to keep it down to once or twice a year for maximum injector life. More often than that they see a definite shortening of the life span of the injectors. Apparently you want them clean enough to function properly but over cleaning causes a new set of problems.

Whoever they were they have a good reputation or he would not have sent them his injectors. He is pretty fussy about that stuff.

Myself, I store most of my injected vehicles for the winter or summer so I just add a strong dose of seafoam to the tanks of whatever I put in storage. Run it till I am sure it gets through the fuel system and call it good. Doing it that way has greatly reduced my work load when taking the vehicles out of storage. They fire right up and run good. All is good.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I recently ran some Seafoam through all off my lawn equipment. My Stihl leaf blower started running like crap after about 10 minutes. I took it to the Stihl dealer and talked to them about it and they knew the problem right away. He said that the SF does such a good job that it had cleaned out all of the carbon, but in doing so the carbon clogged up the spark arrestor. They cleaned it and it now runs like a champ.

·
13,048 Posts
why not do this stop by a Chevy or Ford dealer or who ever and ask them how often they get a car in with dirty injectors.
I'm under the be leaf that most all gasoline come with a injector cleaner in it.
I believe that there snack oil like 90% of the chemicals you can buy.
Ask all the people you work with if they ever had dirty injectors.
I have never read where Kevinx or Rylan or Kyle has recommended the stuff

Put this app in your phone. pure gas then you can find non ethanol gas

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
using top tier fuel is the first move, additives prolly help as well + Techron is said to be the best with the most active ingredients. todays direct injected vehicles get some benefit but cleaning deposits is not one since fuel is injected into the engine + not past the valves, hence the issues with newer DI engines.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hey its your ride do what you feel best, Bet you won't notice any difference either way, ''Except in your mind''...
Now if you are gonna let the gas sit though the winter then a stabilizer might be a good idea..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I put stuff in my body that makes it work better and do the same for my bike although I don't use the same stuff. A very clean blow out hole is a universal fix for all energy consuming contraptions.

So, for the bike, perf recipe is Shell T6 oil, Seafoam( 1 oz. per gal), and occasionally running it hard on a less traveled smooth rode.

With that slick oil(good for 5k miles) and seafoam added once a month, our bikes will run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
There are a bunch of products out there, so far the best I have seen in my own personal use has been StarTron.

I have a little generator that I tote around with me from time to time, I try to always drain the gas out of it when I am done, but the last time I forgot, seven months later I had to use it again, pull this thing till I was gonna keel over, then I remember our one tech saying that it can bring fuel back or help to, so I shocked the system and dumped half of a smaller bottle in the tank, 5-7 oz? In a one gallon tank, pulled it a few more times with the fuel valve off, turned the valve back on and on the third pull it fired and ran, didn't run the best, but it ran, and as it ran longer it started to clear out and get smoother.

So I keep a bottle on hand at all times, and after treating all my toys and machines i have noticed that they are a little easier to start. Just my two cents and what I have noticed.

·
13,048 Posts
In the 30 some bikes I have owned I have never used any of that stuff. Carb bikes or FI bikes. My bike will sit in the garage for a good 5 months and come spring it fires up like normal. Maybe it doesn't have all the power it normal has. I ride to half tank put in new gas. Get to half tank again and fill up.
Car bikes have tiny passageways that fuel can varnish and clog up. So yes seafoam will prevent that. FI is a slide that opens and give a shot of gas.
So what makes you think you have a dirt injector. Have you ever heard of any one having a dirty injector. I think your getting pulled in by the snake oil chemicals

1 - 12 of 12 Posts