Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All.
I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem to me. I purchased a dealer supplied and fitted stage 2 kit for my Vegas 8ball. Including full exhaust, air filter and ecu re-map.
I expected it to improve slightly on performance but if anything it feels likes it lost a bit of power especially down low in the rev range. It is definitely over fuelling and running rich as I can see the black fuel smoke puffs from the pipes if I rev it slightly in neutral witch never happened before the re-map. Did anyone else find this after the factory downloaded ecu re-map they supply with the stage 2 pipes an filter??
Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All.
I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem to me. I purchased a dealer supplied and fitted stage 2 kit for my Vegas 8ball. Including full exhaust, air filter and ecu re-map.
I expected it to improve slightly on performance but if anything it feels likes it lost a bit of power especially down low in the rev range. It is definitely over fuelling and running rich as I can see the black fuel smoke puffs from the pipes if I rev it slightly in neutral witch never happened before the re-map. Did anyone else find this after the factory downloaded ecu re-map they supply with the stage 2 pipes an filter??
Cheers
I'd check two things. First make sure they provided the proper map for the parts installed. Second, I'd check to make sure the map installed correctly on the ECU when you re-flashed it. Also, does the ECU have a learning period where it is relearning driving habits and needed fueling etc? I had a bike like that when I used a power commander and the additional tuner that tuned on the fly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was all done at the dealer. the re-map was meant to be a part of the package. So as far as I am aware it was all part of a polaris industries Victory factory options. It was the stage 2 straight exhaust an filter kit (baffles left in) I believe it is still the factory ecu controlling everything so unsure if it learns, my understanding is it is a generic code they use from the factory to download a different factory map. I am thinking a decent proper dyno tune and a power vision may be my solution. I was curious if this was a common occurrence when purchasing the factory upgrades and factory re-map that comes with it.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Ive already answered this in your intro post.
Dealer stages are crap...get proper aftermarket gear if you want power.
Its not even broken in go for a long ride, you don't say where you are.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Hi All.
Cheers
Many of us have found that the "OEM" ECU remaps are a complete joke. The majority of us with modifications have either an external fuel tuner or the new Maximus system which reprograms the ECU properly. I personally have the Stage 2 cams, but I am fueling with a PowerCommander V. Others here with other cams (Lloydz, Wyrd Bros., etc) are also fueling with an aftermarket tuner. Your best bet is to get a proper tuner and get a dyno tune. You'll save fuel and gain power.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many of us have found that the "OEM" ECU remaps are a complete joke. The majority of us with modifications have either an external fuel tuner or the new Maximus system which reprograms the ECU properly. I personally have the Stage 2 cams, but I am fueling with a PowerCommander V. Others here with other cams (Lloydz, Wyrd Bros., etc) are also fueling with an aftermarket tuner. Your best bet is to get a proper tuner and get a dyno tune. You'll save fuel and gain power.
Thanks for that. So I am not crazy than and it is a common thing lol. Started thing I must have just had the worse bad luck and only guy to buy an upgrade that goes backwards. I guess I had high hopes and expected the factory remap to be similar to a performance tune. I definitely looking into dyno tune. I just looked up the Maximus and they seem fairly technologically advanced. The Power commander has been around awhile and has a good wrap with proven runs on the board, however I leaning to the power vision as the tuner I spoke to prefers them and rates them highly. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive already answered this in your intro post.
Dealer stages are crap...get proper aftermarket gear if you want power.
Its not even broken in go for a long ride, you don't say where you are.
Only seen both replys now at the same time. I am in S.A mate. I seen you quarter mile time an mph listed, very impressed. I ran mine 2 weekends ago. Besides the very ordinary rider probably not helping the 60ft times, I only cracked a best of 13.5 and 98mph which also leads me to think my ecu remap is way out and was better/faster when the bike was bog stock. really lacks punch in lower rpm range. I definitely think I have room to improve on my starts/launches but even with an average bloke like myself I still thought it should pull high 12s and go over the 100mph mark with the mods done to it. once its been properly tuned on a dyno I will head back out and give it another crack.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Only seen both replys now at the same time. I am in S.A mate. I seen you quarter mile time an mph listed, very impressed. I ran mine 2 weekends ago. Besides the very ordinary rider probably not helping the 60ft times, I only cracked a best of 13.5 and 98mph which also leads me to think my ecu remap is way out and was better/faster when the bike was bog stock. really lacks punch in lower rpm range. I definitely think I have room to improve on my starts/launches but even with an average bloke like myself I still thought it should pull high 12s and go over the 100mph mark with the mods done to it. once its been properly tuned on a dyno I will head back out and give it another crack.
A decent intake and pipes gets em breathing...If your budget runs to a set of Torquetubes you wont be sorry.
Dunno how Vics pipes respond to debaffling..I gutted a set of Freedom Perfornance Slash pipes that were on mine when I bought it in Melb 4 yrs ago with 14,000kms on it(now 135,000)
Basically made em into stepped dragpipes with a lollpop baffle and gained 8hp.
Then after the big bore and cams I bit the bullet and spent $1300 Aust on a set of RPW pipes. .shoulda been the first thing I did in retrospect.
Hope you didnt pay for the "stage 2", and the dealers threw em in on yr deal.
Yr right they slow ya down.
Ride up here and try my old Freedom slash system , youll feel the difference and break in yr engine on the way up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I got the stage 2 kit as the last in stock when the dealers were trying to dump anything Victory. I paid a grand witch was very cheap. They were reducing the prices of anything to do with Victory. I was looking at mufflers from the U.S for about $600 so to get the whole exhaust system plus filter and re-map for $1000 I was pretty stoked. Obviously I need them to do re map but paid about another 250 or so in labour for them to install it all, bit rich of them but figured because I still have factory warranty on the bike I would let the dealer bolt the pipes on and do the filter change just incase to cover my ass. However as I've now discovered that re map is crap.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Isn't stage 1 pipes and an air cleaner, stage 2 is that along with cams.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

Stage 2 is cams and an air dam for the filter. You still need stage 1, which is pipes and a filter or other aftermarket pipes and filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Stage 2 is cams and an air dam for the filter. You still need stage 1, which is pipes and a filter or other aftermarket pipes and filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Right, he keeps saying it's a stage 2 but all I read is pipes and an air cleaner, so it's a stage 1.

Point being I wonder if it got a stage 2 download for a stage one set up.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
overfuel

Vindex you may be correct, so it maybe running toooo rich for what he has(or doesn't have--performance cams). Good catch!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Righto than. Yeah as I said a few times, I got the pipes filter an re map kit. what its called not to much of a concern to me but thanks for pointing that out. cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Righto than. Yeah as I said a few times, I got the pipes filter an re map kit. what its called not to much of a concern to me but thanks for pointing that out. cheers
What it's called might be a big deal if the dealer did the wrong download.

·
13,002 Posts
all vic's blow black smoke from getting on it. Do a mileage per gallon check to see how much fuel your using. Use your phone to do the math

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It was all supplied as a package by dealer as kit not a mix and match so re-map was meant to be for that kit. Yes it was a stage 1. Yes I had the package mixed up thinking stage 1 was just the pipes. No I don't care too much if I called it the wrong one but I knew and stated what it came with. Sorry if that was an issue for some worth pointing out more so than giving me experiences on your upgrades or thoughts and ideas. However I do think that maybe could be right that the dealership ballsed it up and put the wrong tune in it as they told me it was a stage 2 kit. I had it tested and it is is running rich. The fuel economy question is a good point to note an very interesting as the mileage was improving each tank since the day I purchased it inline with the motor wearing in further until I purchased the kit and than it went backwards to similar figures to what it was day I got it . Yeah my bike went from not really noticeable black smoke to very noticeable smoke overnight when the re-map happened. Inline with advice I've got off this site I am waiting for my local distributor to have the power vision in stock. Spoken with a great local tuner and really excited for the next stage once it tuned. Thanks guys for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
What it's called might be a big deal if the dealer did the wrong download.
It was all supplied as a package by dealer as kit not a mix and match so re-map was meant to be for that kit. Yes it was a stage 1. Yes I had the package mixed up thinking stage 1 was just the pipes. No I don't care too much if I called it the wrong one but I knew and stated what it came with. Sorry if that was an issue for some worth pointing out more so than giving me experiences on your upgrades or thoughts and ideas. However I do think that maybe could be right that the dealership ballsed it up and put the wrong tune in it as they told me it was a stage 2 kit. I had it tested and it is is running rich. The fuel economy question is a good point to note an very interesting as the mileage was improving each tank since the day I purchased it inline with the motor wearing in further until I purchased the kit and than it went backwards to similar figures to what it was day I got it . Yeah my bike went from not really noticeable black smoke to very noticeable smoke overnight when the re-map happened. Inline with advice I've got off this site I am waiting for my local distributor to have the power vision in stock. Spoken with a great local tuner and really excited for the next stage once it tuned. Thanks guys for all your help.
Seems thoughts and ideas is just what I did.

Hope you get it sorted out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts